Volume 10 (2013)
Volume 9 (2012)
Volume 8 (2011)
Volume 7 (2010)
Volume 6 (2009)
Volume 4 (2007)
Volume 3 (2006)
Volume 2 (2005)
Volume 1 (2004)
Most Downloaded Articles
- Successful Transition of the New Graduate Nurse by Romyn, Donna M/ Linton, Noreen/ Giblin, Cathy/ Hendrickson, Brenda/ Houger Limacher, Lori/ Murray, Carol/ Nordstrom, Pamela/ Thauberger, Gail/ Vosburgh, Di/ Vye-Rogers, Leianne/ Weidner, Arlene and Zimmel, Colleen M
- Curriculum Reform in Baccalaureate Nursing Education: Review of the Literature by Forbes, Maryann O and Hickey, Mary T
- Educating the Future eHealth Professional Nurse by Booth, Richard G
- Transforming Nursing Education: A Review of Current Curricular Practices in Relation to Benner's Latest Work by Handwerker, Sarah M.
- Educating Leaders in Nursing: Faculty Perspectives by Kalb, Kathleen A./ O'Conner-Von, Susan K./ Schipper, Lindsay M./ Watkins, Alison K. and Yetter, Dawn M.
Transforming Nursing Education: A Review of Current Curricular Practices in Relation to Benner's Latest Work
1Gordon State College (email)
Citation Information: International Journal of Nursing Education Scholarship. Volume 9, Issue 1, Pages –, ISSN (Online) 1548-923X, DOI: 10.1515/1548-923X.2510, September 2012
- Published Online:
Current societal and healthcare system trends highlight the need to transform nursing education to prepare nurses capable of outstanding practice in the 21st century. Patricia Benner and colleagues urged nurse educators to transform their practice in the 2010 publication Educating Nurses, A Call to Radical Transformation. Frequently utilized pedagogical frameworks in nursing education include behaviorism and constructivism. Much of the structure and basis for instruction and evaluation can be found rooted in these philosophies. By first exploring both behaviorism and constructivism and then relating their use in nursing education to the call to transform, educators can be encourage to examine current practice and possibly modify aspects to include more rich experiential learning.