1. T.H. Wee, A.K. Suryavanshi, S.S. Tin, Influence of Aggregate Fraction in the Mix on the Reliability of the Rapid Chloride Permeability Test, Cement & Concrete Composites, 21, 1, 59-72, 1999.
2. J.Y. Shih, T.P. Chang, T.C. Hsiao, Effect of nanosilica on characterization of Portland cement composite, Cement Concrete Research, 36, 697-706, 2006.
3. B.W. Jo, C.H. Kim, G. Tae, J.B. Park, Characteristics of cement mortar with Nano-SiO2 particles, Construction and Building Materials, 21, 6, 1351-1355, 2007.
4. K.L. Lin, W.C. Chang, D.F. Lin, H.L. Luo, M.C. Tsai, Effects of Nano-SiO2 and different ash particlesizes on sludge ash-cement mortar, Journal of Environmental Management, 88, 4, 708-714, 2008.[Web of Science] [CrossRef]
5. A. Sadrmomtazi, Fasihi, F. Balalaei, A.K. Haghi, Investigation of mechanical and physical propertiesof mortars containing silica fume and Nano-SiO2, The third International Conference on Concrete & Development, 1153-1161, 2009.
6. L. Senff, J.A. Labrincha, V.M. Ferreira, D. Hotza, W.L. Repette, Effect of nano-silica on rheologyand fresh properties of cement pastes and mortars, Construction and Building Materials, 23, 7, 2487-2491, 2009.
7. A.N. Givi, S.A. Rashid, F.N.A. Aziz, M.A.M. Salleh, Experimental investigation of the size effectsof SiO2 nano-particles on the mechanical properties of binary blended, concrete Composites Part B: Engineering, 41, 8, 673-677, 2010.
8. A. Wang, C. Zhang, N. Zhang, Study of the influence of the particle size distribution on the propertiesof cement, Cement and Concrete Research, 29, 11, 685-695, 1997.
9. P. Domone, C.H. Wen, Testing of binders for high performance concrete, Cement and Concrete Research, 27, 8, 1141-1147, 1997.[CrossRef]
Volume LIX (2013)
Volume LVIII (2012)
Volume LVII (2011)
Most Downloaded Articles
- Flexural Strengthening of Reinforced Concrete Beams Using Valid Strengthening Techniques by Bashandy, Alaa A.
- A New High-Efficiency Procedure for Aggregate Gradation Determination of the Railway Ballast by Means Image Recognition Method by Guerrieri, M. and Parla, G.
- Effect of Nano Silica on Mechanical Properties and Durability of Normal Strength Concrete by Gopinath, S./ Mouli, P.Ch./ Murthy, A.R./ Iyer, N.R. and Maheswaran, S.
- Laboratory Experimental Analysis on Encapsulated Stone Column by Tandel, Y.K./ Solanki, C.H. and Desai, A.K.
- Effectiveness of the Reverse Bending and Straightening Tests in Detecting Laminations in Wires for Civil Engineering Applications by Adewole, K.K. and Bull, S.J.
Effect of Nano Silica on Mechanical Properties and Durability of Normal Strength Concrete
1Scientist, CSIR-SERC, Chennai CSIR - Structural Engineering Research Centre, CSIR Campus, Taramani, Chennai-600113, India
2Project student, CSIR-SERC, Chennai CSIR - Structural Engineering Research Centre, CSIR Campus, Taramani, Chennai-600113, India
3Director, CSIR-SERC, Chennai CSIR - Structural Engineering Research Centre, CSIR Campus, Taramani, Chennai-600113, India
Citation Information: Archives of Civil Engineering. Volume LVIII, Issue 4, Pages 433–444, ISSN (Online) , ISSN (Print) 1230-2945, DOI: 10.2478/v.10169-012-0023-y, December 2012
- Published Online:
Nano technology is an emerging field of interest for civil engineering application. Among the nano materials presently used in concrete, nano-silica possess more pozzolanic nature. It has the capability to react with the free lime during the cement hydration and forms additional C-S-H gel giving strength, impermeability and durability to concrete. Present paper investigates the effects of addition of nano silica in normal strength concrete. Three types of nano-silica in the form of nano suspension having different amount of silica content have been investigated. Mix design has been carried out by using particle packing method. X-Ray diffraction (XRD) analysis has been carried out to find the chemical composition of control concrete and nano modified concrete. Further, experimental investigations have been carried out to characterize the mechanical behaviour in compression, tension and flexure. It has been observed that the addition of nano-silica in normal strength concrete increased the compressive strength and decreased the spilt tensile strength and flexural strength. Also, Rapid chloride permeability test (RCPT) has been conducted to know the chloride permeability of control concrete, nano modified concrete, and nano coated concrete. It has been observed that the chloride permeability is less for nano coated concrete.