Volume 5 (2015)
Volume 4 (2014)
Volume 3 (2013)
Most Downloaded Articles
- The International Politics of IFRS Harmonization by Ramanna, Karthik
- The Global Financial Crisis in Historical Perspective: An Economic Analysis Combining Minsky, Hayek, Fisher, Keynes and the Regulation Approach by Boyer, Robert
- The Legal Structure of the Firm by Robé, Jean-Philippe
- New Thinking on "Shareholder Primacy" by Stout, Lynn A.
- Deconstructing the Mythology of Shareholder Value: A Comment on Lynn Stout’s “The Shareholder Value Myth” by Clarke, Thomas
Taxation as Regulation: Carbon Tax, Health Care Tax, Bank Tax and Other Regulatory Taxes
1University of Michigan
Citation Information: Accounting, Economics, and Law. Volume 1, Issue 1, ISSN (Online) 2152-2820, DOI: 10.2202/2152-2820.1008, January 2011
- Published Online:
This paper addresses three questions: 1. Is regulation a legitimate goal for taxation? 2. Which tax is best suited for regulation? 3. Would it be better to allocate just one goal per tax among the major taxes (individual and corporate income tax and VAT)? It then analyzes the proposed bank tax and the enacted health care tax as regulatory taxes, and concludes that the first is desirable (as is a carbon tax) but the second is not.