Volume 10 (2015)
Volume 9 (2014)
Volume 2 (2007)
Most Downloaded Articles
- Basic Income and Labour Supply: The German Case by Gilroy, Bernard Michael/ Heimann, Anastasia and Schopf, Mark
- Classical Liberalism and the Basic Income by Zwolinski, Matt
- Two Libertarian Arguments for Basic Income Proposals by Powell, Brian K.
- Libertarianism and the Justice of a Basic Income by Vallentyne, Peter
- How Cash Transfers Promote the Case for Basic Income by Standing, Guy
Mobility, Inclusion and the Green Case for Basic Income
1University of Wales, Newport
Citation Information: Basic Income Studies. Volume 4, Issue 2, ISSN (Online) 1932-0183, DOI: 10.2202/1932-0183.1181, September 2010
- Published Online:
This article sets out and briefly explores three main contentions. One is that mobility is a crucial aspect of social stratification such that transport disadvantage is intimately tied up with social exclusion more generally. A second is that insofar as there is a green case for basic income (BI), there seems also, for similar reasons, to be a green case for free public transport. The third is that even while such a step might be deemed necessary for social and environmental justice, it is (unsurprisingly) by no means sufficient to achieve either.