Volume 9 (2014)
Volume 2 (2007)
Most Downloaded Articles
- Basic Income and Labour Supply: The German Case by Gilroy, Bernard Michael/ Heimann, Anastasia and Schopf, Mark
- Classical Liberalism and the Basic Income by Zwolinski, Matt
- How Cash Transfers Promote the Case for Basic Income by Standing, Guy
- Two Libertarian Arguments for Basic Income Proposals by Powell, Brian K.
- Libertarianism and the Justice of a Basic Income by Vallentyne, Peter
Basic Income Is Not an Obligation, But It Might Be a Legitimate Choice
Citation Information: Basic Income Studies. Volume 6, Issue 2, ISSN (Online) 1932-0183, DOI: 10.1515/1932-0183.1222, January 2012
- Published Online:
A distinction is made between libertarian destinations and libertarian directions. Basic income cannot be part of a truly libertarian state unless it could be accomplished entirely through voluntary donations. But basic income is an important step in a libertarian direction because it improves core values such as self-ownership, liberty and efficiency of transfers while reducing coercion and increasing procedural fairness. Practical approaches to achieving basic income are compared to proposals by Milton Friedman and Charles Murray.