Groups Complexity Cryptology
Managing Editor: Rosenberger, Gerhard / Shpilrain, Vladimir
Editorial Board Member: Blackburn, Simon R. / Conder, Marston / Dehornoy, Patrick / Eick, Bettina / Fine, Benjamin / Gilman, Robert / Grigoriev, Dima / Ko, Ki Hyoung / Kreuzer, Martin / May, Alexander / Mikhalev, Alexander V. / Myasnikov, Alexei / Roman'kov, Vitalii / Sapir, Mark / Thomas, Rick / Tsaban, Boaz / Capell, Enric Ventura / Weil, Pascal
2 Issues per year
Mathematical Citation Quotient 2013: 0.12
Volume 6 (2014)
Most Downloaded Articles
- Actions of the Braid Group, and New Algebraic Proofs of Results of Dehornoy and Larue by Bacardit, Lluís and Dicks, Warren
- Strong law of large numbers on graphs and groups by Mosina, Natalia and Ushakov, Alexander
- The Zieschang–McCool method for generating algebraic mapping-class groups by Bacardit, Lluís and Dicks, Warren
- Cyclic rewriting and conjugacy problems by Diekert, Volker/ Duncan, Andrew and Myasnikov, Alexei G.
- Non-associative key establishment for left distributive systems by Kalka, Arkadius and Teicher, Mina
Random equations in free groups
1Department of Mathematical Sciences, Stevens Institute of Technology, New Jersey, USA.
2Institute of Mathematics and Information Technologies, Omsk State Dostoevskii University, Russia.
Citation Information: Groups – Complexity – Cryptology. Volume 3, Issue 2, Pages 257–284, ISSN (Online) 1869-6104, ISSN (Print) 1867-1144, DOI: 10.1515/gcc.2011.010, November 2011
- Published Online:
In this paper we study the asymptotic probability that a random equation in a finitely generated free group F is solvable in F. For one-variable equations this probability is zero, but for split equations, i.e., equations of the form v(x 1, . . . , xk) = g, g ∈ F, the probability is strictly between zero and one if k ≥ rank(F) ≥ 2. As a consequence the endomorphism problem in F has intermediate asymptotic density, and we obtain the first natural algebraic examples of subsets of intermediate density in free groups of rank larger than two.