Volume 15 (2015)
Volume 14 (2014)
Volume 13 (2013)
Volume 9 (2009)
Most Downloaded Articles
- Female Circumcision as Female Genital Mutilation: Human Rights or Cultural Imperialism? by Oba, Abdulmumini A
- Legal Families and Research in Comparative Law by Husa, Jaakko
- Ignoring the Parties' Silence: the Controversial Borders of Implied Terms by Marchetti, Carlo
- Genocide & The Shoah (The Holocaust): Intellectual Tools for Education & Public Policy Decision by Nagan, Winston P. and Haddad, Aitza M.
- A Dependency in Development Indicator for NGOs and International Organizations by Lempert, David H.
The World Bank Inspection Panel: Is It Really Effective?
1University of Rome, “La Sapienza”, (email)
Citation Information: Global Jurist Advances. Volume 6, Issue 3, ISSN (Online) 1535-1661, DOI: 10.2202/1535-1661.1182, October 2006
- Published Online:
The article analyses the role of the World Bank Inspection Panel. Following a brief introduction on the history and rationale for the creation of the Panel, the paper overviews the powers, mandate, organisation and operating procedures of this body. It, then, examines the Panel's decisions in the decade since its creation. This empirical basis of the paper provides the background against which to address, the following questions: what is the Panel's actual legal status? Is it a judicial, quasi-judicial body or something else? Is it really independent of the World Bank? Is the Panel's day-to-day operation consistent with its statutory objectives? In conclusion, is it really effective?