Volume 9 (2009)
Most Downloaded Articles
- Female Circumcision as Female Genital Mutilation: Human Rights or Cultural Imperialism? by Oba, Abdulmumini A
- Definition of "Investment": Could a Persistent Objector to the Salini Tests be Found in ICSID Arbitral Practice? by Martin, Antoine
- Comparative Personal Property: The Case of Shares by Pretto, Arianna
- The International Legal Personality of Multinational Enterprises: Treaty, Custom and the Governance Gap by Hansen, Robin F.
- The Principles Of European Contract Law: Some Choices Made By The Lando Commission by Hesselink, Martijn W.
The World Bank Inspection Panel: Is It Really Effective?
1University of Rome, “La Sapienza”, (email)
Citation Information: Global Jurist Advances. Volume 6, Issue 3, Pages –, ISSN (Online) 1535-1661, DOI: 10.2202/1535-1661.1182, October 2006
- Published Online:
The article analyses the role of the World Bank Inspection Panel. Following a brief introduction on the history and rationale for the creation of the Panel, the paper overviews the powers, mandate, organisation and operating procedures of this body. It, then, examines the Panel's decisions in the decade since its creation. This empirical basis of the paper provides the background against which to address, the following questions: what is the Panel's actual legal status? Is it a judicial, quasi-judicial body or something else? Is it really independent of the World Bank? Is the Panel's day-to-day operation consistent with its statutory objectives? In conclusion, is it really effective?