Volume 14 (2014)
Volume 13 (2013)
Volume 9 (2009)
Most Downloaded Articles
- Female Circumcision as Female Genital Mutilation: Human Rights or Cultural Imperialism? by Oba, Abdulmumini A
- Incorporating Cultural Dynamism into International Human Rights Law: A Solution from Anthropology by Goggin, Sean
- What is Missing? (Female Genital Surgeries - Infibulation, Excision, Clitoridectomy - in Eritrea) by Favali, Lyda
- Genocide & The Shoah (The Holocaust): Intellectual Tools for Education & Public Policy Decision by Nagan, Winston P. and Haddad, Aitza M.
- Cultural Relativism the American Way: The Nationalist School of International Law in the United States by Lorite Escorihuela, Alejandro
A "Democracy Building" Development Project Indicator for NGOs and International Organizations
1Independent Scholar, (email)
Citation Information: Global Jurist. Volume 11, Issue 2, ISSN (Online) 1934-2640, DOI: 10.2202/1934-2640.1385, December 2011
- Published Online:
The article offers an easy-to-use indicator for scholars and practitioners to measure whether non-governmental organizations (NGOs), international organizations, and government policies and projects meet the criteria for “democracy” that have been established by various international treaties and that are recognized by experts in the field. Use of this indicator on more than a dozen standard interventions funded today by international development banks, United Nations organizations, country donors, and NGOs reveals that most of the major actors in the field of development are actually failing to promote democracy and good governance and points to the specific areas where they need to improve in order to fulfill democracy, governance and rights criteria. This article also offers a sample test of the indicator using the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights (UNHCHR) as a case study.
Keywords: governance; democracy; human rights; sustainable development; civil society; justice; indigenous peoples; minority protection; development policy; World Bank; UNDP; EC; millennium development goals; UNHCHR