Volume 3 (2014)
Volume 2 (2013)
Most Downloaded Articles
- Right first time in fine-chemical process scale-up by Patil, Bhaskar
- Micro reactor and flow chemistry for industrial applications in drug discovery and development by Baraldi, Patricia T. and Hessel, Volker
- Microwave-assisted continuous flow synthesis on industrial scale by Morschhäuser, Roman/ Krull, Matthias/ Kayser, Christoph/ Boberski, Cornelia/ Bierbaum, Ralf/ Püschner, Peter A./ Glasnov, Toma N. and Kappe, C. Oliver
- Green, one-pot synthesis of α-aminophosphonates catalyzed by ZnI2 at room temperature by Karimi-Jaberi, Zahed/ Mardani, Masoud and Amiri, Mohammad
- Phytoextraction as a tool for green chemistry by Hunt, Andrew J./ Anderson, Christopher W.N./ Bruce, Neil/ García, Andrea Muñoz/ Graedel, Thomas E./ Hodson, Mark/ Meech, John A./ Nassar, Nedal T./ Parker, Helen L./ Rylott, Elizabeth L./ Sotiriou, Konastantina/ Zhang, Qing and Clark, James H.
Continuous flow synthesis of β-amino α, β-unsaturated esters in aqueous medium
1Organic Chemistry Division, National Chemical Laboratory, Pune, 411008, India
2Chemical Engineering and Process Development Division, National Chemical Laboratory, Pune, 411008, India
Citation Information: Green Processing and Synthesis. Volume 1, Issue 2, Pages 205–210, ISSN (Online) 2191-9550, ISSN (Print) 2191-9542, DOI: 10.1515/gps-2011-0002, April 2012
Continuous flow synthesis of many β-amino α, β-unsaturated esters has been demonstrated, through the reaction of a β-ketoester compound with ammonia and primary amines. Several combinations have been studied in detail in batch mode and a few have been taken for continuous flow synthesis based on their suitability. Upon studying the feasibility of continuous flow synthesis of different β-amino crotonates, the synthesis of methyl amino crotonate in the presence of a recyclable and reusable homogeneous acid catalyst has been studied in detail. Tubular reactors were seen to overcome the heat and mass transfer limitations, thereby providing a simple device for even a pilot scale production. A similar approach can be used for the synthesis of other β-amino crotonates. The continuous flow synthesis approach for producing methyl amino crotonate, in the absence of any external solvent, makes it a green process technology.