Volume 13 (2012)
Volume 12 (2011)
Volume 10 (2009)
Volume 9 (2008)
Volume 8 (2007)
Volume 7 (2006)
Volume 6 (2005)
Volume 5 (2004)
Volume 4 (2003)
Volume 3 (2002)
Volume 2 (2001)
Most Downloaded Articles
- Digital Identity: How Social Media Is Influencing Student Learning and Development in College by Dalton, Jon C. and Crosby, Pamela C.
- Sports Build Character?! by Doty, Joseph
- Leadership Education as Character Development: Best Practices from 21 Years of Helping Graduates Live Purposeful Lives by Barch, Jon C./ Harris, Rachel and Bonsall, David L.
- Does Online Social Media Lead to Social Connection or Social Disconnection? by Twenge, Jean M.
- The Impact of Social Media on College Students by Mastrodicasa, Jeanna and Metellus, Paul
Soul-Building: Students' Perspectives on Meaning, Purpose, and the College Experience
1University of Dayton
2University of Maryland, College Park
Citation Information: Journal of College and Character. Volume 13, Issue 3, Pages –, ISSN (Online) 1940-1639, DOI: 10.1515/jcc-2012-1881, August 2012
- Published Online:
Research suggests that students are becoming increasingly interested in exploring their meaning and purpose (HERI, 2005). How college students understand these terms and how they are prompted to reflect on such existential questions, however, deserves further attention. In this article, the authors share narratives from a qualitative inquiry with undergraduates who discussed their perceptions of the ambiguous, but significant terms meaning and purpose, the role and salience of meaning and purpose in their lives, experiences during college that encouraged students to think about these concepts, and implications for practice in higher education.