Volume 9 (2013)
Volume 5 (2009)
Volume 1 (2005)
Most Downloaded Articles
- Study of the Technical and Tactical Variables Determining Set Win or Loss in Top-Level European Men's Volleyball by Rodriguez-Ruiz, David/ Quiroga, Miriam E./ Miralles, Jose A./ Sarmiento, Samuel/ de Saá, Yves and García-Manso, Juan M.
- Does Effectiveness of Skill in Complex I Predict Win in Men's Olympic Volleyball Games? by Zetou, Eleni/ Moustakidis, Athanasios/ Tsigilis, Nikolaos and Komninakidou, Andromahi
- A Starting Point for Analyzing Basketball Statistics by Kubatko, Justin/ Oliver, Dean/ Pelton, Kevin and Rosenbaum, Dan T
- The Dreaded Middle Seeds - Are They the Worst Seeds in the NCAA Basketball Tournament? by Morris, Tracy L. and Bokhari, Faryal H.
- Comparing and Forecasting Performances in Different Events of Athletics Using a Probabilistic Model by Godsey, Brian
NHL Draft Order Based on Mathematical Elimination
1Winning Unlimited, LLC
Citation Information: Journal of Quantitative Analysis in Sports. Volume 6, Issue 1, Pages –, ISSN (Online) 1559-0410, DOI: 10.2202/1559-0410.1203, January 2010
- Published Online:
The NHL determines draft order from a lottery that favors teams that are lowest in the standings. Losing can help a franchise acquire a coveted prospect, which encourages fans to cheer against their favorite teams. Draft order based on mathematical elimination would force the teams that performed poorest into a highly competitive atmosphere. The teams that are eliminated earliest would instead have more games to earn the top picks. If substandard teams are to survive in mediocre markets, the injustice of incentives for losing must be eradicated.