Volume 9 (2013)
Volume 5 (2009)
Volume 1 (2005)
Most Downloaded Articles
- Study of the Technical and Tactical Variables Determining Set Win or Loss in Top-Level European Men's Volleyball by Rodriguez-Ruiz, David/ Quiroga, Miriam E./ Miralles, Jose A./ Sarmiento, Samuel/ de Saá, Yves and García-Manso, Juan M.
- Does Effectiveness of Skill in Complex I Predict Win in Men's Olympic Volleyball Games? by Zetou, Eleni/ Moustakidis, Athanasios/ Tsigilis, Nikolaos and Komninakidou, Andromahi
- A Starting Point for Analyzing Basketball Statistics by Kubatko, Justin/ Oliver, Dean/ Pelton, Kevin and Rosenbaum, Dan T
- The Dreaded Middle Seeds - Are They the Worst Seeds in the NCAA Basketball Tournament? by Morris, Tracy L. and Bokhari, Faryal H.
- Comparing and Forecasting Performances in Different Events of Athletics Using a Probabilistic Model by Godsey, Brian
Calculating Wins over Replacement Player (WORP) for NHL Goaltenders
1Saint Anselm College
Citation Information: Journal of Quantitative Analysis in Sports. Volume 8, Issue 1, Pages –, ISSN (Online) 1559-0410, DOI: 10.1515/1559-0410.1358, March 2012
- Published Online:
We present formulas for calculating wins over replacement player (WORP) for NHL goaltenders. If a team's primary objective is victory over its opponent, then a player's value may best be determined by his ability to help his team win games. Furthermore, a player's contribution to his team's wins would be a universal unit of measure and would allow for direct comparisons of goalie and skater production. We found inspiration for our work in Keith Woolner’s calculations of “value over replacement player“ (VORP) for MLB players, and we will make use of Bill James’ “Pythagorean Method” as it was applied to the NHL by Cochran and Blackstock in 2009.