Volume 2 (2011)
Most Downloaded Articles
- The Importance of Effect Measure Modification When Using Demographic Variables to Predict Evacuation by Horney, Jennifer A./ MacDonald, Pia D.M./ Van Willigen, Marieke and Kaufman, Jay S.
- Effectiveness and Challenges of an Asian NGO Network for Disaster Reduction and Response by Izumi, Takako and Shaw, Rajib
- Displacement and Disaster Recovery: Transnational Governance and Socio-legal Issues Following the 2010 Haiti Earthquake by Sapat, Alka and Esnard, Ann-Margaret
- Citizen Participation in Post-disaster Flood Hazard Mitigation Planning in Peterborough, Ontario, Canada by Oulahen, Greg and Doberstein, Brent
- Improving Pandemic Response: A Sensemaking Perspective on the Spring 2009 H1N1 Pandemic by Keller, Ann C./ Ansell, Chris K./ Reingold, Arthur L./ Bourrier, Mathilde/ Hunter, Mark D./ Burrowes, Sahai and MacPhail, Theresa M.
A Portrait of Complexity: New Actors and Contemporary Challenges in the Global Energy System and the Role of Energy Infrastructure Security
1Center for Security Studies, ETH Zurich
Citation Information: Risk, Hazards & Crisis in Public Policy. Volume 1, Issue 1, Pages 31–54, ISSN (Online) 1944-4079, DOI: 10.2202/1944-4079.1034, April 2010
- Published Online:
This article analyses the emergence of new actors and contemporary challenges that have increased the complexity of the global energy system and brought to light the significant role of energy infrastructure security. Working in two parts, the article first provides a general overview of ONG supply-demand trends and the role of energy infrastructure (EI) in production and transport activities. The second part examines new security-risks to EI by exploring similarities and distinctions of natural and human-caused threats to EI. The argues concludes that energy infrastructure security will become a centerpiece in future energy security debate due to the growing dependence on ONG imports from conflict-prone supplier and transit regions as well as the vulnerability of EI to natural disasters brought on by climate change.