Journal of the International Association for Semiotic Studies / Revue de l'Association Internationale de Sémiotique
Editor-in-Chief: Danesi, Marcel
SCImago Journal Rank (SJR) 2015: 0.275
Source Normalized Impact per Paper (SNIP) 2015: 0.661
Impact per Publication (IPP) 2015: 0.191
- inclusive scope focusing on all branches of semiotic studies
- multidisciplinary approach to semiotics
- comprehensive overview of current literature in semiotics
- international and renowned editorial board
- bilingual publication: English and French
Aims and Scope
Semiotica is published in six annual issues, in two languages (English and French), and occasionally in German. From time to time, Special Issues, devoted to topics of particular interest, are assembled by Guest Editors. The publishers of Semiotica offer an annual prize, the Mouton d'Or, to the author of the best article each year. The article is selected by an independent international jury. The 2015 Mouton d'Or Award has been awarded to Anne-Laure Kiviniemi for her article ‘Dire l’indicible et décrire l’indescriptible: Ressources imagières et linguistiques des poilus’, which appeared in Volume 207–1/4.
We welcome papers reporting results of research in all branches of semiotic studies.
Research articles, in-depth reviews, guest editorials, reports
Umberto Eco (1932-2016)
The Semiotica community mourns the passing of one of its longest-standing Editorial Committee members who devoted his life to the international recognition of semiotics. In recognition of his work, please see the recent special issue of Semiotica: Issue 206 (Aug 2015): Umberto Eco’s interpretative semiotics: Interpretation, encyclopedia, translation, Guest Editors: Cinzia Bianchi and Clare Vassallo (FREE access for a limited period).
- DE GRUYTER MOUTON
- English, French
- Type of Publication:
- Researchers in the field of semiotics
Submission of Manuscripts
Instructions for Authors
You can easily submit your manuscript online. Simply go to https://mc.manuscriptcentral.com/semi and you will be guided through the whole peer-reviewing and publishing process.
- Rapid online publication ahead-of-print with short turnaround times
- Annual prize, the Mouton d'Or, to the author of the best article each year
- High quality peer-review
- Easy-to-use online submission system
- Free publication of color figures both in online and print editions and no page charges
- Optional open access publication
- Every article easily discoverable because of SEO and comprehensive abstracting and indexing services
- Convenient citation tracking via e-mail alert
- Secure archiving by De Gruyter and the independent archiving service Portico
- Professional sales and marketing support
- Submissions should be formatted according to the De Gruyter Mouton journal style sheet, especially regarding the proper format for citations and reference entries
- Submission of your paper via our submission management tool
- Peer review process (you will be guided through every step)
- The editorial office will forward your manuscript for double-blind peer-review. This takes on average 3-4 months
- If accepted: you have the option to publish your article open access
- Manuscripts should be no longer than 30–35 pages.
- Review articles should be headed 'Review article' and given an appropriate title that is different from the title of the work(s) under review. The title should be followed by an asterisked footnote, placed at the bottom of the first page of text, containing the bibliographical details of the work(s) under review: *Ray Jackendoff, Languages of the mind: Essays on mental representation. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press, 1992.
- References to the work under review should be cited by page number alone (e.g., 'p. 16'). Otherwise, the references should conform to the style for articles.
- Corrections. Authors are asked to check their manuscripts very carefully before submitting them in order to prevent delays at the proof stage. Especially check in-text citations against listings in the References section, to be sure dates and spelling match, and that all works cited are listed.
- Proofs. Authors will receive PDF page proofs for correction which must be returned by dates determined by the publication schedule.
- Author copy. Upon publication, authors will receive electronic access to their contribution. Guest editors of special issues will receive complimentary print copies of the issue.
- Before submitting your article please have a look at our Publication Ethics Statement and our copyright agreement
- Manuscripts must be written in clear and concise English or French (please also see the Notes aux Auteurs)
- Once your article is accepted you have the option to publish it open access
- Our repository policy allows you to distribute 30 PDF copies of your published article to colleagues (the PDF has to include the information that it is an author's copy). Please also feel free to distribute the link to the online abstract
- If you have any general questions please visit our FAQ page for authors
We look forward to receiving your manuscript!
Semiotica was founded in 1969.
Details on availability and prices of recent back volumes and issues will be provided on request from firstname.lastname@example.org. All volumes of the majority of our journals* with the noted exception of the current volume are being offered by
Schmidt Periodicals GmbH, Bad Feilnbach
Tel.: (+49) 80 64 – 221
Fax: (+49) 80 64 – 557
(* For periodicals not included in this agreement, please refer to the distribution address provided by the link "Back Issues" on the homepage of the periodical.)
Abstracting & Indexing
Semiotica is covered by the following services:
- Baidu Scholar
- CIOS - ComAbstracts
- CNKI Scholar (China National Knowledge Infrastructure)
- De Gruyter - IBR (International Bibliography of Reviews of Scholarly Literature in the Humanities and Social Sciences)
- De Gruyter - IBZ (International Bibliography of Periodical Literature in the Humanities and Social Sciences)
- EBSCO (relevant databases)
- EBSCO Discovery Service
- Elsevier - SCOPUS
- ERIH PLUS (European Reference Index for the Humanities and Social Sciences)
- Genamics JournalSeek
- Google Scholar
- INIST Institut de l’Information Scientifique et Technique
- Linguistic Bibliography Online
- Linguistics Abstracts Online
- MLA International Bibliography
- Naviga (Softweco)
- Philosophy Documentation Center - Philosophy Research Index
- Primo Central (ExLibris)
- ProQuest (relevant databases)
- SCImago (SJR)
- Summon (Serials Solutions/ProQuest)
- TDOne (TDNet)
- Thomson Reuters - Arts & Humanities Citation Index
- Thomson Reuters - Current Contents/Arts & Humanities
- Thomson Reuters - Journal Citation Reports/Social Sciences Edition
- Thomson Reuters - Social Sciences Citation Index
- UB Frankfurt - BDSL Bibliographie der deutschen Sprach- und Literaturwissenschaft
- UB Frankfurt - BLL Bibliographie Linguistischer Literatur
- UB Frankfurt - OLC Linguistik
- Ulrich's Periodicals Directory/ulrichsweb
- WorldCat (OCLC)
Program in Semiotics and Communication Theory
University of Toronto
Toronto, Ontario M5S 1K7
Book Review Editors
Mariana Bockarova (Coordinator)
Caterina Clivio,Vanessa Compagnone, Stacy Costa, Nakia Lee-Foon
Arthur Asa Berger
Per Aage Brandt
Robbie B. H. Goh
Didier Tsala Effa