- Only reference work covering museums worldwide
- User friendly and clearly structured
- All information at a glance: museum's name, address and contact details, type of museum, field of interest and special departments
- First-hand information through extensive mailing of questionnaires
Aims and Scope
In its 19th edition Museums of the World covers more than 55,000 museums in 202 countries, listed hierarchically by country and place, and within places alphabetically by name. A separate chapter records some 500 museum associations in 132 countries.
Each museum has been assigned to one or more of 22 categories identifying
the type and focus of the museum.
A typical entry contains the following details:
- Name of the museum in the original language with an English translation when necessary
- Address, phone and fax numbers
- E-mail address and URL
- Type of museum
- Year of foundation
- Head of museum
- Academic staff
- Collections and facilities
An alphabetical index of museums, an index of persons covering directors, presidents, curators and academic staff of the museums, a personality index recording artists whose works are shown predominantly in a specific museum and/or referring to memorabilia of famous individuals, and a subject index facilitate the access to the data.
The eBookPLUS format comprises the content and search criteria of the printed edition and its indices, facilitating complex searches.
- xvi, 1544 pages
- DE GRUYTER SAUR
- Type of Publication: