1. Official Journal of the European Union. Commission delegated regulation (EU) 2016/161 of 2 October 2015 supplementing Directive 2011/83/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council by laying down detailed rules for the safety features appearing on the packaging of medicinal products for human use [Internet]. 2016 [cited 2016 May 5]. Available from: http://ec.europa.eu/health/files/eudralex/vol-1/reg_2016_161/reg_2016_161_en.pdf
2. European Commission. Medicines verification in Europe: what to expect in 2019 [Internet]. 2016 [cited 2016 May 5]. Available from: http://ec.europa.eu/health/files/falsified_medicines/201602_stakeholders_workshop_final.pdf
3. Food and Drug Administration. Guidance for Industry- Standards for Securing the Drug Supply Chain – Standardized Numerical Identification for Prescription Drug Packages [Internet]. 2010. [cited 2016 May 5]. Available from: http://www.fda.gov/downloads/RegulatoryInformation/Guidances/UCM206075.pdf
4. Office québécois de la langue française. Identification par radiofréquence [Internet. cited 2016 May 5]. Available from: http://www.granddictionnaire.com/ficheOqlf.aspx?Id_Fiche=8362543
5. Centre National de Référence RFID. Classification des tags RFID [Internet. cited 2016 May 5]. Available from: http://www.centrenational-rfid.com/classification-des-tags-rfid-article-19-fr-ruid-17.html.
6. Gouvernement du Canada. Innovation, Sciences et développement économique du Canada [Internet. cited 2016 May 5]. Available from: https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/oca-bc.nsf/fra/ca02287.html.
7. Yao W, Chu CH, Li Z. The adoption and implementation of RFID technologies in healthcare: a literature review. J Med Syst 2012;36(6):3507–25.Google Scholar
8. Kitcheck overview video [Internet]. [cited 2016 May 5]. Available from: https://kitcheck.com/kit-check-overview-video/
9. MEPS Real-Time. Intelliguard®Kit and Tray Management system [Internet. cited 2016 May 5]. Available from: http://mepsrealtime.com/intelliguard-kit-tray-management-system/
10. Petit C, Lebel D, Bussières JF. Utilisation de la radiofréquence en pharmacie: états des lieux et perspectives. Congrès annuel de l’Association des pharmaciens des établissements de santé du Québec; 2016 Apr 13–15; Trois-Rivières, QC, Canada.
11. Kabachinski J. An introduction to RFID. Biomed Instrum Technol 2005;39(2):131–4.Google Scholar
12. New Technologies for more Safety & Security. Guide pratique: choisir un tag RFID pour des applications industrielles [Internet]. 2014. [cited 2016 May 5]. Available from: http://www.nexess-solutions.com/fr/choisir-un-tag-rfid-pour-des-applications-industrielles/
13. Internet des objets connectés. Lecteur RFID comment cela marche? [Internet]. 2006 [cited 2016 May 5]. Available from: http://www.filrfid.org/article-3373163.html.
14. Ashar BS, Ferriter A. Radiofrequency identification technology in health care: benefits and potential risks. J Am Med Assoc 2007;298(19):2305–7.Google Scholar
15. IMPINJ. The different types of RFID systems [Internet. cited 2016 May 5]. Available from: http://www.impinj.com//resources/about-rfid/the-different-types-of-rfid-systems/
16. Catarinucci L, Colella R, De Blasi M, Patrono L, Tarricone L. Enhanced UHF RFID tags for drug tracing. J Med Syst 2012 Dec;36(6):3451–62.Google Scholar
17. RFID Canada. Understanding Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) [Internet. cited 2016 May 5]. Available from: https://www.rfidcanada.com/technologies/section-i/
18. Young D. Pittsburgh hospital combines RFID, bar codes to improve safety. Am J Health Syst Pharm 2006;63(24):2431–5.Google Scholar
19. Shindo A, Matsuda A, Tani S, Marukami T, Fujimaru K, Yagi Y, et al. Construction of a safety management system for drug use by using an RFID tag. Stud Health Technol Inform 2006;122:770.Google Scholar
20. Lavine G. RFID technology may improve contrast agent safety. Am J Health Syst Pharm 2008;65(15):1400, 1402–3.Google Scholar
21. Peris-Lopez P, Orfila A, Mitrokotsa A, van der Lubbe JC. A comprehensive RFID solution to enhance inpatient medication safety. Int J Med Inform 2011;80(1):13–24.Google Scholar
22. Martínez Pérez M, Cabrero-Canosa M, Vizoso Hermida J, Carrajo García L, Llamas Gómez D, et al. Application of RFID technology in patient tracking and medication traceability in emergency care. J Med Syst 2012;36(6):3983–93.Google Scholar
23. Chen YY, Tsai ML. An RFID solution for enhancing inpatient medication safety with real-time verifiable grouping-proof. Int J Med Inform 2014;83(1):70 81.Google Scholar
24. Rolko E, Chan T. Implementation of radio frequency identification for medication tray management. Can J Hosp Pharm 2015;68(5):412–16.Google Scholar
25. Martínez Pérez M, Vázquez González G, Dafonte C. Safety and traceability in patient healthcare through the integration of RFID technology for intravenous mixtures in the prescription-validation-elaboration-dispensation-administration circuit to day Hospital Patients. Sensors (Basel) 2016 Jul 28;16(8).Google Scholar
26. Violino B. RFID journal. The basics of RFID Technology [Internet. cited 2016 May 5]. Available from: http://www.rfidjournal.com/articles/view?1337/3
About the article
Camille Petit is a Pharm.D candidate at Université de Grenoble. Currently, she is completing a residency at CHU Sainte-Justine and she is involved in the development of RFID.
Maxime Bergeron is a Pharm D candidate at Université de Montréal. Currently, she is completing a residency at CHU Sainte-Justine and she is involved in the development of RFID.
Suzanne Atkinson is an assistant director of pharmacy department at CHU Sainte-Justine since 1999. He practices as a pharmacist since 2002 and assumed teaching duties at the University of Montreal since 2003. Suzanne Atkinson obtained his B. Pharm. in 2002 and his Master of Science in 2003. She is currently working on the reorganization of pharmacy department.
Denis Lebel is an assistant director of pharmacy department at CHU Sainte-Justine since 1999. He practices as a pharmacist since 1992 and assumed teaching duties at the University of Montreal since 1992. Denis Lebel obtained his B. Pharm. in 1992 and his Master of Science in 1993. He received the Fellow of the Canadian Society of Hosptal Pharmacists title in 2005. He has received numerous awards for excellence. He regularly gives conferences and has contributed to many research projects and publications.
Jean-François Bussières, pharmacist, obtained his B.Pharm in 1988 and his Master of Science in 1992 from Université Laval and his Masters of Business Administration from McGill Université de Montreal, in1992. In 1996, he became Director of the Pharmacy Department of CHU Sainte-Justine. In addition, he combines the functions of Director of the Pharmacy Practice Research Unit, Full Clinical professor at the Faculty of Pharmacy, Université de Montréal and Guest speaker at the Faculty of pharmacy at Université Laval. He received numerous awards for excellence, including the Louis-Hébert Award in 2000 from the Ordre des pharmaciens du Québec, the Innovation Award in 2013 from the same authority, the National Excellence in Education in 2016 from the Association of Faculties of Pharmacy in Canada and the International Leadership Award in 2016 from the Canadian Pharmacists Association.
Published Online: 2016-09-23
Published in Print: 2016-12-01
Conflict of interest statement: Authors state no conflict of interest. All authors have read the journal’s Publication ethics and publication malpractice statement available at the journal’s website and hereby confirm that they comply with all its parts applicable to the present scientific work.