Last updated on 25.10.2018Product information
The database Allgemeines Künstlerlexikon Online / Artists of the World Online is the world's most contemporary, reliable and extensive reference work on artists. It contains authoritative, up-to-date biographical information on more than 1 million artists - more than any other database in the world!
For the first time the database offers biographies in full text from A to Z. The greatly extended scope is due to the incorporation of the renowned Thieme-Becker/Vollmer1 encyclopedia, the Nürnberger Künstlerlexikon and the Lexikon der Künstlerinnen into the database. The number of full-text biographies doubled, as did the number of articles appearing not only in German but also in the original language.
Moreover, the database now offers articles "online first". This means that the articles are published online immediately, in part long before they appear in print, thus further increasing the topicality of the database. Several thousand art history sources are evaluated on an ongoing basis for the database, and the content is continually updated and expanded. The database provides a user-friendly interface with full-text search and multiple search criteria.
Artists from A as in ANDERS A. to Z as in ZZÜRCHER, from antiquity to the present and from every country in the world - the database covers the visual arts in the broadest sense, with biographies of painters, graphic artists, sculptors, architects, designers, photographers, video and installation artists, artisans and many other kinds of artists.
A highly competent editorial staff, an international editors in chief, and more than 5,000 specialist authors from all over the world work on this database, thus ensuring that it meets the highest standards in quality and up-to-dateness.
The signed biographical articles comply with the highest encyclopedic and art historical standards. In addition to the biography, each article contains information on the artist's creative work and his or her art historical significance. A selection of works with their locations, details of exhibitions and an extensive bibliography round off each article.
The advantages of the database:
- More than 1 million artists from A to Z
- More than 500,000 extensive, signed biographical articles, searchable in full text - 3,500 new articles added each year
- Online First: new articles from A to Z are published online immediately - independent of the print edition
- Continual updates: details, exhibitions, sources are continually supplemented and updated
- Links to the database Paintings in Museums - Germany, Austria, Switzerland (for purchasers of this database): learn more about where the works are located with a single click
- Multiple search criteria for professional and scholarly searches
- Explanations of the used abbreviations
- German and English user interfaces
1 (c) Seemann Henschel GmbH & Co. KG.