Birkhäuser is the specialist publisher for architecture, landscape architecture and design. We publish in a wide variety of mediums, such as:
- Handbooks and reference works for your daily work
- Introductory volumes for students
- Architectural monographs and topical overviews
- Contributions to design research and current debates
Our publications convey practical knowledge, but are also world-renowned as being “well designed” in their own right. Take us for a spin – you’ll realize quickly that Birkhäuser books will take you that extra step in both your academic and professional career!
Founded in Basel, Switzerland in 1879, Birkhäuser has been a subsidiary company of De Gruyter since 2012. Birkhäuser still operates its corporate offices out of Basel.
- Manuals and reference works for practicing architects and designers
- Internationally relevant topics such as sustainable architecture and building in existing fabric
- The complete works of famous architects and designers such as Alvar Aalto, Le Corbusier, Jean Prouvé, Herzog & de Meuron and Adrian Frutiger
- Research and discourse-oriented series such as SCALE, BIRD and Bauwelt Fundamente
- A variety of English-language titles
- Architects, Buildings
- Construction, Materials
- Construction Types, Functions
- Cities, Regions, Urbanism
- Theory, History
- Studies, Professional Practice
- Landscape Architecture
- Graphic and Communication Design
- Product and Interior Design
- Bert Bielefeld, University of Siegen, Germany, editor of Planning Architecture and the series Basics
- Andrea Deplazes, ETH Zurich, Switzerland, editor of Constructing Architecture
- Michael Erlhoff, Cologne International School of Design, Germany, editor of Design Dictionary Gerhard Mack, author of Herzog & de Meuron, The Complete Works
- Astrid Zimmermann, landscape architect, Berlin, Germany, author of Constructing Landscape and Planning Landscape
- Peter Zumthor, architect, Haldenstein, Switzerland, author of Thinking Architecture and Atmospheres
- University of Applied Arts, Vienna, Austria
- ETH Zurich, Switzerland
FEEDBACK FROM THE ARCHITECTURE COMMUNITY
Birkhäuser have always set high standards. They have an excellent international presence.
Tim Benton, Professor Emeritus of Art History at the Open University, UK
I am still extremely happy that we chose Birkhäuser to secure worldwide distribution for our handbook to students and practitioners.
Meanwhile, Constructing Architecture has been published in seven different language and has been updated with the help of the Birkhäuser team. Their help in publishing several of our newest editions has helped us live up to our claim - to promptly provide up-to-date knowledge of teaching and research to those who need it in their everyday work. In addition to the textbook program’s organization, I value their dedication to making useful and visually appealing books. I really recommend working with Birkhäuser – not the least of which, because this attitude towards publishing has become more and more the exception.
Professor Andrea Deplazes, Professur Architektur und Konstruktion/ Chair of Architecture und Construction, ETH Zürich
My experiences with Birkhäuser Verlag have been invariably positive. I have always felt that they place an emphasis on substantial and sustainable quality. The Birkhäuser staff has united and grown together under this guiding principle. The results speak for themselves.
Dipl.-Ing. Dieter Grömling, Leiter der Abteilung Forschungsbau-Technik-Immobilien der Max-Planck-Gesellschaft zur Förderung der Wissenschaften
In both content and production values, Birkhäuser's publications are consistently high in quality and valued by the architectural community. Birkhäuser's editorial team are supportive allies helping authors define, produce and edit their books. Taking neither a domineering nor laissez-faire role, the team respects an author's idea yet offers both conceptual and practical advice that nurtures a productive writing process.
Eric J. Jenkins, Associate Professor at the School of Architecture and Planning, The Catholic University of America, Washington, D.C., USA
Birkhäuser is a synonym for quality! Publications are given a thorough guidance on the conceptual level and are produced with a high degree of expertise. Birkhäuser books are also beautifully and appropriately designed - all of these aspects contribute to the impression of quality. The focus is on creating good books not many books! From conversations with colleagues I know that the name Birkhäuser alone is perceived as an indication of quality which contributes to the dissemination of knowledge. Last but not least is the international focus and marketing range of Birkhäuser - an excellent network which results in interesting new connections.
Ulrich Knaack, Professor for Design of Construction and Building Technology, Delft University of Technology, the Netherlands
We have worked with Birkhäuser over the last 12 years on three books about the firm’s work. We are very pleased with their knowledge, their understanding of our design process and the quality of their books. I hope we are able to collaborate on many more books with Birkhäuser.
Cesar Pelli, Senior Principal, Pelli Clarke Pelli Architects, New Haven, Connecticut, USA
Exquisitely produced in layout and print quality, Birkhäuser's books are at the forefront of serious discussion about architecture, across a broad range of themes, particularly for professional audiences. Their production also fills timely needs in academic discourse of both a practical and intellectual kind.
Peter G. Rowe, Raymond Garbe Professor of Architecture and Urban Design and Harvard University Distinguished Service Professor, Cambridge, Mass., USA
As new ways of thinking in architecture have emerged, the demands on design grow increasingly complex and constantly require new interpretation. Birkhäuser‘s works provide a unique foundation for architects to draw upon knowledge and experience gained from the past while adapting to the changing needs of the modern world.
Thomas Schröpfer, Associate Professor and Associate Head of Pillar of Architecture and Sustainable Design, Singapore University of Technology and Design, Singapore
For me, Birkhäuser publishes the most important books in architecture. Here you find authors who offer a theoretical overview of the profession, as well as the main players who helped to implement that architectural knowledge into the built reality. And Birkhäuser books are not only intelligent, but also beautiful, which is of high importance for me especially in these times of electronic publishing.
Professor Michael Schumacher, Leibniz Universität Hannover und schneider + schumacher planungsgesellschaft mbH