For over 100 years now, De Gruyter has been publishing books and journals in the field of law – primarily in the areas of civil law, commercial and corporate law, and criminal law. In particular, well-regarded multi-volume commentaries and numerous important single-volume commentaries form the centerpiece of our law program.
In cooperation with the Dr. Otto Schmidt publishing house, De Gruyter publishes the Staudinger commentary on the German Civil Code (BGB), which extends to almost 100 volumes.
Our comprehensive range of handbooks for practice on numerous areas of law is continually being expanded and is tailored for the needs of those working in practice with useful features such as checklists and sample contracts. Our legal textbooks provide well-grounded knowledge that is helpful in preparations for examinations.
A first-class portfolio of journals rounds off our publications in the field of law. A significant number of our 23 legal journals is published in English and is widely known abroad too. The works and journals published by De Gruyter are essential for those training in law, lawyers working in practice, and also for academics, researchers and others working in related fields.
All our books and journals are also published as eBooks or eJournals (PDF) alongside their print editions; some are also made available online as databases and as part of the jurisAllianz network through the juris platform.
- A long tradition in the field of law
- Comprehensive commentaries in the areas of criminal law, commercial and corporate law, insolvency law, civil procedure law
- A constantly expanding portfolio of practitioner handbooks covering energy law, internet and media law, as well as labor, construction and tenancy law
- Numerous textbooks, e.g. Allgemeines Verwaltungsrecht (General Administrative Law), BGB Allgemeiner Teil: Rechtsgeschäftslehre (Doctrine on Legal Transactions), Völkerrecht (Law of Nations)
- Renowned journals such as Zeitschrift für Unternehmens- und Gesellschaftsrecht (Journal of Business and Corporate Law) and Zeitschrift für die gesamte Strafrechtswissenschaft (Journal of Criminal Law)
- A large portfolio of English-language journals
- Commercial and Corporate Law
- Bank and Business Law
- Copyright and Media Law
- Intellectual Property Law
- Civil and Civil Procedure Law
- Insolvency Law
- Constitutional and Administrative Law
- Criminal and Criminal Procedure Law
- Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. mult. Peter Hommelhoff, Ruprecht-Karls-Universität Heidelberg, Germany, chief managing editor of the journal Zeitschrift für Unternehmens- und Gesellschaftsrecht (ZGR)
- Prof. Dr. iur. Dr. phil. Stefan Grundmann LLM (Berkeley), Humboldt Universität zu Berlin, Germany, editor of the series Schriften zum Europäischen und Internationalen Privat-, Bank- und Wirtschaftsrecht
- Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. mult. Claus-Wilhelm Canaris, Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München, Germany, co-editor of the multi-volume commentary Staub HGB
- Prof. Dr. Dr. h. c. mult. Bernd Schünemann, Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München, Germany, co-author of the multi-volume commentary Leipziger Kommentar StGB
- Jörg-Peter Becker, Bundesgerichtshof (Federal Court of Justice), Karlsruhe, co-editor of the multi-volume commentary Löwe-Rosenberg StPO
- Institute for Law and Finance (ILF)
- Vereinigung der deutschen Staatsrechtslehrer e.V.
- Bankrechtliche Vereinigung – Wissenschaftliche Gesellschaft für Bankrecht e.V.
De Gruyter is a partner in jurisAllianz, an alliance of a number of legal publishers, and makes its most important legal books and journals available through the juris platform.
A significant fraction of our range is thus available online with links to relevant literature, legal judgments and standards. De Gruyter publications are offered in packages that are bundled according to legal subject areas with titles from other publishing partners within the alliance.
> Editorial contact
> Please send your orders to orders [ at ] degruyter.com
> Download Fact Sheet Law