A novel PET detector consisting of strips of polymer scintillators is being developed by the Jagiellonian Positron Emission Tomograph (J-PET) collaboration. The map of efficiency and the map of geometrical acceptance of the two-strip J-PET scanner are presented. The map of efficiency was determined using the Monte Carlo simulation software GEANT4 Application for Tomographic Emission (GATE), which is based on GEANT4. Both maps were compared using a method based on the χ2-test.
We acknowledge the technical and administrative support by M. Adamczyk, T. Gucwa-Ryś, A. Heczko, M. Kajetanowicz, G. Konopka-Cupiał, J. Majewski, W. Migdał, and A. Misiak, the financial support by the Polish National Center for Development and Research through grant INNOTECH-K1/IN1/64/159174/NCBR/12, the Foundation for Polish Science through the MPD Programme, the EU and MSHE Grant No. POIG.02.03.00-161 00-013/09, Doctus – the Lesser Poland PhD Scholarship Fund, and the Marian Smoluchowski Kraków Research Consortium “Matter-Energy-Future”.
Conflict of interest statement
Authors’ conflict of interest disclosure: The authors stated that there are no conflicts of interest regarding the publication of this article. Research funding played no role in the study design; in the collection, analysis, and interpretation of data; in the writing of the report; or in the decision to submit the report for publication.
Research funding: None declared.
Employment or leadership: None declared.
Honorarium: None declared.
1. Jan S, Santin G, Strul D, Staelens S, Assié K, Autret D, et al. GATE: a simulation toolkit for PET and SPECT. Phys Med Biol 2004;49:4543.10.1088/0031-9155/49/19/007Search in Google Scholar
2. Ollinger JM, Fessler JA. Positron-emission tomography. IEEE Signal Process Mag 1997;14:43–55.10.1109/79.560323Search in Google Scholar
3. Agostinelli S, Allison J, Amako K, Apostolakis J, Araujo H, Arce P, et al. GEANT4 – a simulation toolkit. Nucl Instrum Methods Phys Res A 2003;506:250–303.10.1016/S0168-9002(03)01368-8Search in Google Scholar
4. Moskal P, Salabura P, Silarski M, Smyrski J, Zdebik J, Zieliński M. Novel detector systems for the positron emission tomography. Bio-Algorithms Med Syst 20011;7:73.Search in Google Scholar
5. Moskal P, Bednarski T, Białas P, Ciszewska M, Czerwiński E, Heczko A, et al. Strip-PET: a novel detector concept for the TOF-PET scanner. Nucl Med Rev 2012;15:C68.Search in Google Scholar
6. Moskal P, Bednarski T, Białas P, Ciszewska M, Czerwiński E, Heczko A, et al. TOF-PET detector concept based on organic scintillators. Nucl Med Rev 2012;15:C81.Search in Google Scholar
7. EJ230 properties. Available at: http://eljentechnology.com/index.php/products/plastic-scintillators/65-ej-228. Accessed: 23 Oct 2013.Search in Google Scholar
8. ROOT documentation. Available at: http://root.cern.ch/drupal/content/documentation. Accessed: 23 Oct 2013.Search in Google Scholar
9. Photomultiplier tubes and related products. Catalogue. Japan: Hamamatsu. Nov 2010.Search in Google Scholar
10. Poisson distribution. English Wikipedia. Available at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poisson_distribution#Related_distributions. Accessed: 25 Oct 2013.Search in Google Scholar
©2014 by Walter de Gruyter Berlin/Boston