Freestanding scaffolds were fabricated of Mg5W (wt.% yttrium) alloy using magnetron sputtering technology. Appropriate method was found to produce scaffolds with high reproducibility, spatial resolution of 1 μm and good mechanical properties. Two different techniques were used for surface finishing, microblasting and chemical polishing. SEM investigation showed high surface quality after chemical polishing while microblasting influenced mechanical properties of the Mg5W alloy. Magnetron sputtering offers a high potential for the production of microstructured scaffolds.
The authors want to thank the DFG for the financial support.
Funding: Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft, (Grant/Award Number: ‘QU 146/9-2’).
1. Witte F, Hort N, Vogt C, Cohen S, Kainer KU, Willumeit R, et al. Degradable biomaterials based on magnesium corrosion. Curr Opin Solid St M 2008;12:63–72.10.1016/j.cossms.2009.04.001Search in Google Scholar
3. Persaud-Sharma D, McGoron A. Biodegradable magnesium alloys: a review of material development and applications. J Biomim Biomater Tissue Eng 2012;12:25–39.10.4028/www.scientific.net/JBBTE.12.25Search in Google Scholar PubMed PubMed Central
4. Moravej M, Mantovani D. Biodegradable metals for cardiovaskular stent application: interest and new opportunities. Int J Mol Sci 2011;12:4250–70.10.3390/ijms12074250Search in Google Scholar PubMed PubMed Central
5. Wang J, Smith CE, Sanker J, Yun Y, Huang N. Absorbable magnesium-based stent: physiological factor to consider for in vitro degredation assessments. Regenerative Biomater 2015;2:59–60.10.1093/rb/rbu015Search in Google Scholar PubMed PubMed Central
6. Campos CM, Muramatsu T, Iqbal J, Zhang Y-J, Onuma Y, Garcia-Garcia HM, et al. Bioresorbable drug-eluting magnesium-alloy scaffold for treatment of corronary artery disease. Int J Mol Sci 2013;14:24492–500.10.3390/ijms141224492Search in Google Scholar PubMed PubMed Central
7. Waizy H, Seitz J-M, Reifenrath J, Weizbauer A, Bach F-W, Meyer-Lindenberg A, et al. Biodegradable magnesium implants for orthopedic applications. J Mater Sci 2013;48:39–50.10.1007/s10853-012-6572-2Search in Google Scholar
8. Chun Y, Levi DS, Mohanchandra KP, Vinuela F, Vinuela F, Carman GP Jr, et al. Thin film nitinol microstent for aneurysm occlusion. J Biomech Eng ASME Trans 2009;131:1–8.10.1115/1.3118769Search in Google Scholar PubMed
9. Schlüter K, Zamponi C, Piorra A, Quandt E. Comparison of the corrosion behaviour of bulk and thin film magnesium alloys. Corros Sci 2010;52:3973–7.10.1016/j.corsci.2010.08.011Search in Google Scholar
11. Schlüter K, Zamponi C, Hapke J, Hort N, Kainer KU, Quandt E. Mechanical properties and corrosion behaviour of freestanding, presipitate- free magnesium WE43 thin films. Int J Mat Res 2012;103:1–7.Search in Google Scholar
12. Schlüter K, Shi Z, Zamponi C, Cao F, Quandt E, Atrens A. Corrosion performance and mechanical properties of sputter-deposited MgY and MgGd alloys. Corros Sci 2014;78:43–54.10.1016/j.corsci.2013.08.027Search in Google Scholar
©2015 by De Gruyter