Author contributions: All the authors have accepted responsibility for the entire content of this submitted manuscript and approved submission.
Financial support: None declared.
Employment or leadership: None declared.
Honorarium: None declared.
Competing interests: The funding organization(s) played no role in the study design; in the collection, analysis, and interpretation of data; in the writing of the report; or in the decision to submit the report for publication.
1. Lippi G, Salvagno GL, Guidi GC. Red blood cell distribution width is significantly associated with aging and gender. Clin Chem Lab Med 2014;52:e197–9.10.1515/cclm-2014-0353Search in Google Scholar PubMed
2. Lippi G, Plebani M. Red blood cell distribution width (RDW) and human pathology. One size fits all. Clin Chem Lab Med 2014;52:1247–9.Search in Google Scholar
3. Lippi G, Filippozzi L, Montagnana M, Salvagno GL, Franchini M, Guidi GC, et al. Clinical usefulness of measuring red blood cell distribution width on admission in patients with acute coronary syndromes. Clin Chem Lab Med 2009;47:353–7.10.1515/CCLM.2009.066Search in Google Scholar PubMed
4. Tonelli M, Sacks F, Arnold M, Moye L, Davis B, Pfeffer M. Relation between red blood cell distribution width and cardiovascular event rate in people with coronary disease. Circulation 2008;117:163–8.10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.107.727545Search in Google Scholar PubMed
5. Lee WS, Kim TY. Relation between red blood cell distribution width and inflammatory biomarkers in rheumatoid arthritis. Arch Pathol Lab Med 2010;134:505–6.10.5858/134.4.505.cSearch in Google Scholar PubMed
6. Song CS, Park DI, Yoon MY, Seok HS, Park JH, Kim HJ, et al. Association between red cell distribution width and disease activity in patients with inflammatory bowel disease. Dig Dis Sci 2012;57:1033–8.10.1007/s10620-011-1978-2Search in Google Scholar PubMed
7. Patel KV, Semba RD, Ferrucci L, Newman AB, Fried LP, Wallace RB, et al. Red cell distribution width and mortality in older adults: a meta-analysis. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 2010;65:258–65.10.1093/gerona/glp163Search in Google Scholar PubMed PubMed Central
8. Boinska J, Zekanowska E, Kwapisz J. Pro-hepcidin and iron metabolism parameters in multi-time blood donors. Int J Lab Hematol 2010;32:483–90.10.1111/j.1751-553X.2009.01207.xSearch in Google Scholar PubMed
9. Vaya A, Alis R, Romagnoli M, Perez R, Bautista D, Alonso R, et al. Rheological blood behavior is not only influenced by cardiovascular risk factors but also by aging itself. Research into 927 healthy Spanish Mediterranean subjects. Clin Hemorheol Microcirc 2013;54:287–96.Search in Google Scholar
10. Patel KV, Mohanty JG, Kanapuru B, Hesdorffer C, Ershler WB, Rifkind JM. Association of the red cell distribution width with red blood cell deformability. Adv Exp Med Biol 2013;765:211–6.10.1007/978-1-4614-4989-8_29Search in Google Scholar PubMed PubMed Central
©2015 by De Gruyter