Thanks to Professor M.D. Halvor Næss, who provided essential assistance by including patients from the Department of Neurology, Haukeland University Hospital, Bergen, Norway.
Author contributions: All the authors have accepted responsibility for the entire content of this submitted manuscript and approved submission.
Research funding: Financial support (supplement of reagents and controls): Alere Norway, Axis-Shield PoC AS Norway, Roche Diagnostics Norway, and Zafena AB Sweden.
Employment or leadership: None declared.
Honorarium: None declared.
Competing interests: The funding organization(s) played no role in the study design; in the collection, analysis, and interpretation of data; in the writing of the report; or in the decision to submit the report for publication.
3. van Ryn J, Grottke O, Spronk H. Measurement of dabigatran in standardly used clinical assays, whole blood viscoelastic coagulation, and thrombin generation assays. Clin Lab Med 2014;34:479–501.10.1016/j.cll.2014.06.008Search in Google Scholar
4. Lindahl TL, Baghaei F, Blixter IF, Gustafsson KM, Stigendal L, Sten-Linder M, et al. Effects of the oral, direct thrombin inhibitor dabigatran on five common coagulation assays. Thromb Haemost 2011;105:371–8.10.1160/TH10-06-0342Search in Google Scholar
5. Lee MJ, Jang HM, Jeong WK, Bang OY. The need for a coagulation assay after initiation of new oral anticoagulants in patients with renal dysfunction: a case report. J Clin Neurol 2015;11:395–7.10.3988/jcn.2015.11.4.395Search in Google Scholar
6. Ebner M, Peter A, Spencer C, Hartig F, Birschmann I, Kuhn J, et al. Point-of-care testing of coagulation in patients treated with non-vitamin K antagonist oral anticoagulants. Stroke 2015;46:2741–7.10.1161/STROKEAHA.115.010148Search in Google Scholar
8. DeRemer CE, Gujral JS, Thornton JW, Sorrentino RA. Dabigatran falsely elevates point of care international normalized ratio results. Am J Med 2011;124:e5–6.10.1016/j.amjmed.2011.02.009Search in Google Scholar
9. Baglin T, Keeling D, Kitchen S, British committee for standards in H. Effects on routine coagulation screens and assessment of anticoagulant intensity in patients taking oral dabigatran or rivaroxaban: guidance from the British Committee for Standards in Haematology. Br J Haematol 2012;159:427–9.10.1111/bjh.12052Search in Google Scholar
10. Reilly PA, Lehr T, Haertter S, Connolly SJ, Yusuf S, Eikelboom JW, et al. The effect of dabigatran plasma concentrations and patient characteristics on the frequency of ischemic stroke and major bleeding in atrial fibrillation patients: the RE-LY Trial (Randomized Evaluation of Long-Term Anticoagulation Therapy). J Am Coll Cardiol 2014;63:321–8.10.1016/j.jacc.2013.07.104Search in Google Scholar
©2017 Walter de Gruyter GmbH, Berlin/Boston