Author contributions: B. Peeters: Processed the data and wrote the paper. Performed statistical calculations. Gathered all comments of co-authors and revised the text and the statistical calculations. E. Dirinck: Revised the text and added comments, describing the obese sub-population. L. van Gaal: Revised the text and added comments, describing the obese sub-population. L. Roosens: Revised the text and added comments. All the authors have accepted responsibility for the entire content of this submitted manuscript and approved submission.
Research funding: None declared.
Employment or leadership: None declared.
Honorarium: None declared.
Competing interests: The funding organization(s) played no role in the study design; in the collection, analysis, and interpretation of data; in the writing of the report; or in the decision to submit the report for publication.
2. Benton JJ. Kjeldahl method for nitrogen determination. Athens, GA: Micro-Macro Publishing, 1991.Search in Google Scholar
3. Weiner ID, Mitch WE, Sands JM. Urea and ammonia metabolism and the control of renal nitrogen excretion. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 2015;10:1444–58.10.2215/CJN.10311013Search in Google Scholar PubMed PubMed Central
4. Ricos C, Alvarez V, Cava F, Garcia-Lario JV, Hernandez A, Jimenez CV, et al. Current databases on biologic variation: pros, cons and progress. Scand J Clin Lab Invest 1999;59:491–500.10.1080/00365519950185229Search in Google Scholar PubMed
5. Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute (CLSI). Verification of comparability of patients results within one health care system; approved guideline. CLSI document EP31-A, Appendix D.Search in Google Scholar
6. Alan HB. Tietz Clinical guide to laboratory tests. 4th ed. St. Louis, MO: Saunders/Elsevier Publishing, 2006.Search in Google Scholar
©2018 Walter de Gruyter GmbH, Berlin/Boston