We acknowledge the financial support for our research study of National Health and Medical Research Council, Funder Id: 10.13039/501100000925 (NHMRC) – Centre of Excellence in Paediatric Food Allergy and Food-related Immune Disorders (Grant ID 1041420). Also, we gratefully acknowledge Mr. Michael Rennie (PM Separations) for his valued technical support and providing the internal standard materials.
Author contributions: All the authors have accepted responsibility for the entire content of this submitted manuscript and approved submission.
Research funding: None declared.
Employment or leadership: None declared.
Honorarium: None declared.
Competing interests: The funding organisation(s) played no role in the study design; in the collection, analysis, and interpretation of data; in the writing of the report; or in the decision to submit the report for publication.
1. Flynn N, Lam F, Dawnay A. Enhanced 3-epi-25-hydroxyvitamin D3 signal leads to overestimation of its concentration and amplifies interference in 25-hydroxyvitamin D LC-MS/MS assays. Ann Clin Biochem 2014;51:352–9. Search in Google Scholar
2. Albahrani AA, Rotarou V, Roche PJ, Greaves RF. A simultaneous quantitative method for vitamins A, D and E in human serum using liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry. J Steroid Biochem 2016;159:41–53. Search in Google Scholar
3. Davison AS, Milan AM, Dutton JJ. Potential problems with using deuterated internal standards for liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry. Ann Clin Biochem 2013;50(Pt 3):274. Search in Google Scholar
4. Huang M, Cadwallader AB, Heltsley R. Mechanism of error caused by isotope-labeled internal standard: accurate method for simultaneous measurement of vitamin D and pre-vitamin D by liquid chromatography/tandem mass spectrometry. Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom 2014;28:2101–10. Search in Google Scholar
5. Owen LJ, Keevil BG. Testosterone measurement by liquid chromatography tandem mass spectrometry: the importance of internal standard choice. Ann Clin Biochem 2012;49(Pt 6): 600–2. Search in Google Scholar
6. Berg T, Strand DH. 13C labelled internal standards – a solution to minimize ion suppression effects in liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry analyses of drugs in biological samples? J Chromatogr A 2011;1218:9366–74. Search in Google Scholar
7. Albahrani A. A novel simultaneous quantification method for fat-soluble vitamins using liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry for clinical application. Melbourne, Australia: RMIT, 2015. Search in Google Scholar
8. Allen KJ, Panjari M, Koplin JJ, Ponsonby A-L, Vuillermin P, Gurrin LC, et al. VITALITY trial: protocol for a randomised controlled trial to establish the role of postnatal vitamin D supplementation in infant immune health. BMJ Open 2015;5:e009377. Search in Google Scholar
9. Munns CF, Shaw N, Kiely M, Specker BL, Thacher TD, Ozono K, et al. Global consensus recommendations on prevention and management of nutritional rickets. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2016;101:394–415. Search in Google Scholar
10. Braegger C, Campoy C, Colomb V, Decsi T, Domellof M, Fewtrell M, et al. Vitamin D in the healthy European paediatric population. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 2013;56:692–701. Search in Google Scholar
11. Paxton GA, Teale GR, Nowson CA, Mason RS, McGrath JJ, Thompson MJ, et al. Vitamin D and health in pregnancy, infants, children and adolescents in Australia and New Zealand: a position statement. Med J Australia 2013;198:142–3. Search in Google Scholar
12. Lensmeyer G, Poquette M, Wiebe D, Binkley N. The C-3 epimer of 25-hydroxyvitamin D(3) is present in adult serum. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2012;97:163–8. Search in Google Scholar
13. Farrell C, Soldo J, Williams P, Herrmann M. 25-Hydroxyvitamin D testing: challenging the performance of current automated immunoassays. Clin Chem Lab Med 2012;50:1953–63. Search in Google Scholar
14. Bailey D, Veljkovic K, Yazdanpanah M, Adeli K. Analytical measurement and clinical relevance of vitamin D(3) C3-epimer. Clin Biochem 2013;46:190–6. Search in Google Scholar
©2018 Walter de Gruyter GmbH, Berlin/Boston