I would like to acknowledge Dr. Nishta Nemchand for questioning clinical ward staff.
Author contributions: The author has accepted responsibility for the entire content of this manuscript and approved its submission.
Research funding: None declared.
Employment or leadership: None declared.
Honorarium: None declared.
Competing interests: Author states no conflict of interest.
Ethical approval: Not applicable.
1. Simundic A-M, Bölenius K, Cadamuro J, Church S, Cornes MP, van Dongen-Lases EC, et al. Joint EFLM-COLABIOCLI recommendation for venous blood sampling. Clin Chem Lab Med 2018;56:2015–38.10.1515/cclm-2018-0602Search in Google Scholar PubMed
2. Berg JE, Ahee P, Berg JD. Variation in phlebotomy techniques in emergency medicine and the incidence of haemolysed samples. Ann Clin Biochem 2011;48:562–5.10.1258/acb.2011.011099Search in Google Scholar PubMed
4. Sulaiman RA, Cornes MP, Whitehead S, Othonos N, Ford C, Gama R. Effect of order of draw of blood samples during venous blood collection on routine biochemistry results. J Clin Pathol 2011;64:1019–20.10.1136/jclinpath-2011-200206Search in Google Scholar PubMed
6. Cadamuro J, Felder TK, Oberkofler H, Mrazek C, Wiedemann H, Haschke-Becher E. Relevance of EDTA carryover during blood collection. Clin Chem Lab Med 2015;53:1271–8.10.1515/cclm-2014-0944Search in Google Scholar PubMed
7. Cornes M, van Dongen-Lases E, Grankvist K, Ibarz M, Kristensen G, Lippi G, et al. Order of blood draw: opinion paper by the European Federation for Clinical Chemistry and Laboratory Medicine (EFLM) Working Group for the Preanalytical Phase (WG-PRE). Clin Chem Lab Med 2017;55:27–31.10.1515/cclm-2016-0426Search in Google Scholar PubMed
8. Sharratt CL, Gilbert CJ, Cornes MC, Ford C, Gama R. EDTA sample contamination is common and often undetected, putting patients at unnecessary risk of harm. Int J Clin Pract 2009;63:1126–7.10.1111/j.1742-1241.2008.01981.xSearch in Google Scholar PubMed
9. Jacobsen KK, Brandt I, Christensen AV, Rimsø BA, Krøier CJ, Sørensen M, et al. Order of draw practices in venous blood sampling at clinical biochemistry departments in the Danish health care system. Clin Biochem 2018;56:113–6.10.1016/j.clinbiochem.2018.04.020Search in Google Scholar PubMed
10. Simundic A-M, Cornes M, Grankvist K, Lippi G, Nybo M, Kovalevskaya S, et al. Survey of national guidelines, education and training on phlebotomy in 28 European countries: an original report by the European Federation of Clinical Chemistry and Laboratory Medicine (EFLM) working group for the preanalytical phase (WG-PA). Clin Chem Lab Med 2013;51:1585–93.10.1515/cclm-2013-0283Search in Google Scholar PubMed
11. Cornes MP, Davidson F, Darwin L, Gay C, Redpath M, Waldron JL, et al. Multi-centre observational study of spurious hyperkalaemia due to EDTA contamination. Clin Lab 2010;56:597–9.Search in Google Scholar
©2020 Walter de Gruyter GmbH, Berlin/Boston