Funding source: Former 307th hospital of the PLA
Award Identifier / Grant number: AWS14C014
Funding source: National Natural Science Foundation of China
Award Identifier / Grant number: 81770207
We thank Dr. Brian Eyden (Manchester, UK) for final revision of the manuscript, Ningbo Ruiyuan and other companies for supplying all the reagents, and all members in microbiology group in the Department of Laboratory Medicine, The Fifth Medical Center, Chinese PLA General Hospital (Former 307th hospital of the PLA).
Research funding: SS is supported by a grant from the former 307th hospital of the PLA internal project (AWS14C014). SY is supported by a grant from the National Natural Science Foundation of China (81770207).
Author contributions: All authors have accepted responsibility for the entire content of this manuscript and approved its submission.
Competing interests: Authors state no conflict of interest.
Informed consent: Informed consent was obtained from all individuals included in this study.
Ethical approval: The local Institutional Review Board deemed the study exempt from review.
1. Bartoletti, M, Antonelli, M, Bruno Blasi, FA, Casagranda, I, Chieregato, A, Fumagalli, R, et al. Procalcitonin-guided antibiotic therapy: an expert consensus. Clin Chem Lab Med 2018;56:1223–9. https://doi.org/10.1515/cclm-2018-0259.Search in Google Scholar
2. Wacker, C, Prkno, A, Brunkhorst, FM, Schlattmann, P. Procalcitonin as a diagnostic marker for sepsis: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Lancet Infect Dis 2013;13:426–35. https://doi.org/10.1016/s1473-3099(12)70323-7.Search in Google Scholar
3. Schuetz, P, Christ-Crain, M, Thomann, R, Falconnier, C, Wolbers, M, Widmer, I, et al. Effect of procalcitonin-based guidelines vs. standard guidelines on antibiotic use in lower respiratory tract infections: the ProHOSP randomized controlled trial. JAMA 2009;302:1059–66. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2009.1297.Search in Google Scholar
4. Schuetz, P, Wirz, Y, Mueller, B. Procalcitonin testing to guide antibiotic therapy in acute upper and lower respiratory tract infections. JAMA 2018;319:925–6. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2018.0852.Search in Google Scholar
5. de Jong, E, van Oers, JA, Beishuizen, A, Vos, P, Vermeijden, WJ, Haas, LE, et al. Efficacy and safety of procalcitonin guidance in reducing the duration of antibiotic treatment in critically ill patients: a randomised, controlled, open-label trial. Lancet Infect Dis 2016;16:819–27. https://doi.org/10.1016/s1473-3099(16)00053-0.Search in Google Scholar
6. Schuetz, P, Wirz, Y, Sager, R, Christ-Crain, M, Stolz, D, Tamm, M, et al. Effect of procalcitonin-guided antibiotic treatment on mortality in acute respiratory infections: a patient level meta-analysis. Lancet Infect Dis 2018;18:95–107. https://doi.org/10.1016/s1473-3099(17)30592-3.Search in Google Scholar
7. Huang, DT, Yealy, DM, Filbin, MR, Brown, AM, Chang, CH, Doi, Y, et al. Procalcitonin-guided use of antibiotics for lower respiratory tract infection. N Engl J Med 2018;379:236–49. https://doi.org/10.1056/nejmoa1802670.Search in Google Scholar
8. Dipalo, M, Guido, L, Micca, G, Pittalis, S, Locatelli, M, Motta, A, et al. Multicenter comparison of automated procalcitonin immunoassays. Pract Lab Med 2015;2:22–8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.plabm.2015.07.001.Search in Google Scholar
9. Dupuy, AM, Chevrier, Q, Olejnik, Y, Bargnoux, AS, Badiou, S, Cristol, JP. Analytical evaluation of point-of-care procalcitonin (PCT) and clinical performances in an unselected population as compared with central lab PCT assay [Letter]. Clin Chem Lab Med 2017;55:e167–71. https://doi.org/10.1515/cclm-2016-0887.Search in Google Scholar
10. Schuetz, P, Christ-Crain, M, Huber, AR, Muller, B. Long-term stability of procalcitonin in frozen samples and comparison of Kryptor and VIDAS automated immunoassays. Clin Biochem 2010;43:341–4. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clinbiochem.2009.08.029.Search in Google Scholar
11. Hausfater, P, Brochet, C, Freund, Y, Charles, V, Bernard, M. Procalcitonin measurement in routine emergency medicine practice: comparison between two immunoassays. Clin Chem Lab Med 2010;48:501–4. https://doi.org/10.1515/cclm.2010.091.Search in Google Scholar
12. Soh, A, Binder, L, Clough, M, Hernandez, MH, Lefevre, G, Mostert, K, et al. Comparison of the novel ARCHITECT procalcitonin assay with established procalcitonin assay systems. Pract Lab Med 2018;12:e00110. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.plabm.2018.e00110.Search in Google Scholar
13. Dipalo, M, Buonocore, R, Gnocchi, C, Picanza, A, Aloe, R, Lippi, G. Analytical evaluation of Diazyme procalcitonin (PCT) latex-enhanced immunoturbidimetric assay on Beckman Coulter AU5800. Clin Chem Lab Med 2015;53:593–7. https://doi.org/10.1515/cclm-2014-1118.Search in Google Scholar
© 2020 Walter de Gruyter GmbH, Berlin/Boston