Research funding: None declared.
Author contributions: All authors have accepted responsibility for the entire content of this manuscript and approved its submission.
Competing interests: Authors state no conflict of interest.
Ethical approval: According to the Public Health French Law, approval from institutional review board and written consent are not required for human non-interventional studies. For ethical consideration, patients are however informed that data that was collected in medical records might be used for research study in accordance with privacy rule.
1. Hunter, L, Gordge, L, Dargan, PI, Wood, DM. Methaemoglobinaemia associated with the use of cocaine and volatile nitrites as recreational drugs: a review. Br J Clin Pharmacol 2011;72:18–26. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2125.2011.03950.x.Search in Google Scholar PubMed PubMed Central
2. McCabe, A, McCann, B, Kelly, P. Pop goes the O2: a case of popper-induced methaemoglobinamia. BMJ Case Rep 2012;2012:bcr2012007176. https://doi.org/10.1136/bcr-2012-007176.Search in Google Scholar PubMed PubMed Central
3. Teixeira, C, Pina, D, Freitas, MI. Automated detection of unstable hemoglobin variants by Sysmex XE-Series analyzers. Clin Chem Lab Med 2017;55:e243–6. https://doi.org/10.1515/cclm-2017-0231.Search in Google Scholar PubMed
4. Rosetti, M, Poletti, G, Sensi, A, Ravani, A, Rondoni, M, Baldrati, L, et al.. A rare case of Hemoglobin Leiden interfering with the DIFF channel of Sysmex XE-2100. Scand J Clin Lab Invest 2015;75:43–7. https://doi.org/10.3109/00365513.2015.1033743.Search in Google Scholar PubMed
5. Mongelli, F, Barberio, G, Ivaldi, G. A rare and unstable hemoglobin variant, Hb M Dothan β 25/26 (-GTG), detected by the anomalous cytogram on Sysmex XE-2100. Clin Chem Lab Med 2016;54:e31–3. https://doi.org/10.1515/cclm-2015-0566.Search in Google Scholar PubMed
6. Jongbloed, W, van Twillert, G, Schoorl, M, Schindhelm, RK. Unstable haemoglobin variant Hb Leiden is detected on Sysmex XN-Series analysers. Clin Chem Lab Med 2018;56:e249–50. https://doi.org/10.1515/cclm-2017-1171.Search in Google Scholar PubMed
7. Moioli, V, Seghezzi, M, Previtali, G, Baigorria, MDC, Dominoni, P, Michetti, L, et al.. Mozhaisk haemoglobin variant effects on leukocyte differential channel using the Sysmex XN series. Clin Chem Lab Med 2019;57:e324–7. https://doi.org/10.1515/cclm-2019-0373.Search in Google Scholar PubMed
8. Reisinger, A, Vogt, S, Essl, A, Rauch, I, Bangerl, F, Eller, P, et al.. Lessons of the month 3: intravenous poppers abuse: case report, management and possible complications. Clin Med (Lond) 2020;20:221–3. https://doi.org/10.7861/clinmed.2019-0469.Search in Google Scholar PubMed PubMed Central
9. Lefevre, T, Nuzzo, A, Mégarbane, B. Poppers-Induced life-threatening methemoglobinemia. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2018;198:e137–8. https://doi.org/10.1164/rccm.201806-1044im.Search in Google Scholar PubMed PubMed Central
© 2021 Walter de Gruyter GmbH, Berlin/Boston