Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF) is a progressive interstitial disease with limited therapeutic options. The measurement of Krebs von den Lungen-6 (KL-6) glycoprotein has been proposed for evaluating the risk of IPF progression and predicting patient prognosis, but the robustness of available evidence is unclear.
We searched Medline and Embase databases for peer-reviewed literature from inception to April 2020. Original articles investigating KL-6 as prognostic marker for IPF were retrieved. Considered outcomes were the risk of developing acute exacerbation (AE) and patient survival. Meta-analysis of selected studies was conducted, and quantitative data were uniformed as odds ratio (OR) or hazard ratio (HR) estimates, with corresponding 95% confidence intervals (CI).
Twenty-six studies were included in the systematic review and 14 were finally meta-analysed. For AE development, the pooled OR (seven studies) for KL-6 was 2.72 (CI 1.22–6.06; p=0.015). However, a high degree of heterogeneity (I2=85.6%) was found among selected studies. Using data from three studies reporting binary data, a pooled sensitivity of 72% (CI 60–82%) and a specificity of 60% (CI 52–68%) were found for KL-6 measurement in detecting insurgence of AE in IPF patients. Pooled HR (seven studies) for mortality prediction was 1.009 (CI 0.983–1.036; p=0.505).
Although our meta-analysis suggested that IPF patients with increased KL-6 concentrations had a significant increased risk of developing AE, the detection power of the evaluated biomarker is limited. Furthermore, no relationship between biomarker concentrations and mortality was found. Caution is also needed when extending obtained results to non-Asian populations.
Research funding: None declared.
Author contributions: All authors have accepted responsibility for the entire content of this manuscript and approved its submission.
Competing interests: Authors state no conflict of interest.
Informed consent: Not applicable.
Ethical approval: Not applicable.
2. Raghu, G, Remy-Jardin, M, Myers, JL, Richeldi, L, Ryerson, CJ, Lederer, DJ, et al.. Diagnosis of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. An official ATS/ERS/JRS/ALAT clinical practice guideline. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2018;198:e44–68. https://doi.org/10.1164/rccm.201807-1255st.Search in Google Scholar
3. Kohno, N, Kyoizumi, S, Awaya, Y, Fukuhara, H, Yamakido, M, Akiyama, M. New serum indicator of interstitial pneumonitis activity. Sialylated carbohydrate antigen KL-6. Chest 1989;96:68–73. https://doi.org/10.1378/chest.96.1.68.Search in Google Scholar
4. Kohno, N. Serum marker KL-6/MUC1 for the diagnosis and management of interstitial pneumonitis. J Med Invest 1999;46:151–8.Search in Google Scholar
6. Qin, H, Xu, XP, Zou, J, Zhao, XJ, Wu, HW, Zha, QF, et al.. Krebs von den Lungen-6 associated with chest high-resolution CT score in evaluation severity of patients with interstitial lung disease. Pulmonology 2019;25:143–8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pulmoe.2018.05.008.Search in Google Scholar
7. Ley, B, Collard, HR, King, TEJr. Clinical course and prediction of survival in idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2011;183:431–40. https://doi.org/10.1164/rccm.201006-0894ci.Search in Google Scholar
8. Canestaro, WJ, Forrester, SH, Raghu, G, Ho, L, Devine, BE. Drug treatment of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis: systematic review and network meta-analysis. Chest 2016;149:756–66. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chest.2015.11.013.Search in Google Scholar
9. Sokai, A, Tanizawa, K, Handa, T, Kanatani, K, Kubo, T, Ikezoe, K, et al.. Importance of serial changes in biomarkers in idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. ERJ Open Res 2017;3. https://doi.org/10.1183/23120541.00019-2016.Search in Google Scholar
10. d’Alessandro, M, Bergantini, L, Cameli, P, Vietri, L, Lanzarone, N, Alonzi, V, et al.. Krebs von den Lungen-6 as a biomarker for disease severity assessment in interstitial lung disease: a comprehensive review. Biomarkers Med 2020;14:665–74.10.2217/bmm-2019-0545Search in Google Scholar PubMed
11. d’Alessandro, M, Bergantini, L, Cameli, P, Pieroni, M, Refini, RM, Sestini, P, et al.. Serum concentrations of KL-6 in patients with IPF and lung cancer and serial measurements of KL-6 in IPF patients treated with antifibrotic therapy. Cancers 2021;13:689. https://doi.org/10.3390/cancers13040689.Search in Google Scholar
12. Stroup, DF, Berlin, JA, Morton, SC, Olkin, I, Williamson, GD, Rennie, D, et al.. Meta-analysis of observational studies in epidemiology: a proposal for reporting. Meta-analysis of Observational Studies in Epidemiology (MOOSE) group. J Am Med Assoc 2000;283:2008–12. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.283.15.2008.Search in Google Scholar
13. Hozo, SP, Djulbegovic, B, Hozo, I. Estimating the mean and variance from the median, range, and the size of a sample. BMC Med Res Methodol 2005;5:13. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2288-5-13.Search in Google Scholar
14. Zamora, J, Abraira, V, Muriel, A, Khan, K, Coomarasamy, A. Meta-DiSc: a software for meta-analysis of test accuracy data. BMC Med Res Methodol 2006;6:31. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2288-6-31.Search in Google Scholar
15. Pepe, MS, Feng, Z, Janes, H, Bossuyt, PM, Potter, JD. Pivotal evaluation of the accuracy of a biomarker used for classification or prediction: standards for study design. J Natl Cancer Inst 2008;100:1432–8. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/djn326.Search in Google Scholar
16. Kishaba, T, Shimaoka, Y, Fukuyama, H, Yoshida, K, Tanaka, M, Yamashiro, S, et al.. A cohort study of mortality predictors and characteristics of patients with combined pulmonary fibrosis and emphysema. BMJ Open 2012;2:e000988. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2012-000988.Search in Google Scholar
17. Song, JW, Do, KH, Jang, SJ, Colby, TV, Han, S, Kim, DS. Blood biomarkers MMP-7 and SP-A: predictors of outcome in idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. Chest 2013;143:1422–9. https://doi.org/10.1378/chest.11-2735.Search in Google Scholar
18. Okuda, R, Matsushima, H, Aoshiba, K, Oba, T, Kawabe, R, Honda, K, et al.. Soluble intercellular adhesion molecule-1 for stable and acute phases of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. SpringerPlus 2015;4:657–65. https://doi.org/10.1186/s40064-015-1455-z.Search in Google Scholar
19. Kishaba, T, Tamaki, H, Shimaoka, Y, Fukuyama, H, Yamashiro, S. Staging of acute exacerbation in patients with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. Lung 2014;192:141–9. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00408-013-9530-0.Search in Google Scholar
20. Kishaba, T, Nagano, H, Nei, Y, Yamashiro, S. Body mass index-percent forced vital capacity-respiratory hospitalization: new staging for idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis patients. J Thorac Dis 2016;8:3596–604. https://doi.org/10.21037/jtd.2016.12.49.Search in Google Scholar
21. Satoh, H, Kurishima, K, Ishikawa, H, Ohtsuka, M. Increased levels of KL-6 and subsequent mortality in patients with interstitial lung diseases. J Intern Med 2006;260:429–34. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2796.2006.01704.x.Search in Google Scholar
22. Murohashi, K, Hara, Y, Saigusa, Y, Kobayashi, N, Sato, T, Yamamoto, M, et al.. Clinical significance of Charlson comorbidity index as a prognostic parameter for patients with acute or subacute idiopathic interstitial pneumonias and acute exacerbation of collagen vascular diseases-related interstitial pneumonia. J Thorac Dis 2019;11:2448–57. https://doi.org/10.21037/jtd.2019.05.46.Search in Google Scholar
23. Ando, M, Miyazaki, E, Ito, T, Hiroshige, S, Nureki, SI, Ueno, T, et al.. Significance of serum vascular endothelial growth factor level in patients with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. Lung 2010;188:247–52. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00408-009-9223-x.Search in Google Scholar
24. Hisata, S, Kimura, Y, Shibata, N, Ono, S, Kobayashi, T, Chiba, S, et al.. A normal range of KL-6/MUC1 independent of elevated SP-D indicates a better prognosis in the patients with honeycombing on high-resolution computed tomography. Pulm Med 2011;2011:806014. https://doi.org/10.1155/2011/806014.Search in Google Scholar
25. Yokoyama, A, Kondo, K, Nakajima, M, Matsushima, T, Takahashi, T, Nishimura, M, et al.. Prognostic value of circulating KL-6 in idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. Respirology 2006;11:164–8. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1440-1843.2006.00834.x.Search in Google Scholar
26. Shinoda, H, Tasaka, S, Fujishima, S, Yamasawa, W, Miyamoto, K, Nakano, Y, et al.. Elevated CC chemokine level in bronchoalveolar lavage fluid is predictive of a poor outcome of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. Respiration 2009;78:285–92. https://doi.org/10.1159/000207617.Search in Google Scholar
27. Ishii, H, Kushima, H, Kinoshita, Y, Fujita, M, Watanabe, K. The serum KL-6 levels in untreated idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis can naturally decline in association with disease progression. Clin Res J 2018;12:2411–8. https://doi.org/10.1111/crj.12946.Search in Google Scholar
28. Gui, X, Qiu, X, Xie, M, Tian, Y, Min, C, Huang, M, et al.. Prognostic value of serum osteopontin in acute exacerbation of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. BioMed Res Int 2020;2020:3424208. https://doi.org/10.1155/2020/3424208.Search in Google Scholar
29. Collard, HR, Calfee, CS, Wolters, PJ, Song, JW, Hong, SB, Brady, S, et al.. Plasma biomarker profiles in acute exacerbation of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 2010;299:L3–7. https://doi.org/10.1152/ajplung.90637.2008.Search in Google Scholar
30. Cao, M, Swigris, JJ, Wang, X, Cao, M, Qiu, Y, Huang, M, et al.. Plasma leptin is elevated in acute exacerbation of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. Mediat Inflamm 2016;2016:6940480. https://doi.org/10.1155/2016/6940480.Search in Google Scholar
31. Hanaka, T, Kido, T, Noguchi, S, Yamada, S, Noguchi, H, Guo, X, et al.. The overexpression of peroxiredoxin-4 affects the progression of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. BMC Pulm Med 2019;19:265. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12890-019-1032-2.Search in Google Scholar
32. Kakugawa, T, Yokota, S, Ishimatsu, Y, Hayashi, T, Nakashima, S, Hara, S, et al.. Serum heat shock protein 47 levels are elevated in acute exacerbation of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. Cell Stress Chaperones 2013;18:581–90. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12192-013-0411-5.Search in Google Scholar
33. Ohshimo, S, Ishikawa, N, Horimasu, Y, Hattori, N, Hirohashi, N, Tanigawa, K, et al.. Baseline KL-6 predicts increased risk for acute exacerbation of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. Respir Med 2014;108:1031–9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rmed.2014.04.009.Search in Google Scholar
34. Kondoh, Y, Taniguchi, H, Ebina, M, Azuma, A, Ogura, T, Taguchi, Y, et al.. Risk factors for acute exacerbation of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis--Extended analysis of pirfenidone trial in Japan. Respir Invest 2015;53:271–8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.resinv.2015.04.005.Search in Google Scholar
35. Kakugawa, T, Sakamoto, N, Sato, S, Yura, H, Harada, T, Nakashima, S, et al.. Risk factors for an acute exacerbation of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. Respir Res 2016;17:79. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12931-016-0400-1.Search in Google Scholar
36. Fujimoto, K, Taniguchi, H, Johkoh, T, Kondoh, Y, Ichikado, K, Sumikawa, H, et al.. Acute exacerbation of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis: high-resolution CT scores predict mortality. Eur Radiol 2012;22:83–92. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00330-011-2211-6.Search in Google Scholar
37. Hamai, K, Iwamoto, H, Ishikawa, N, Horimasu, Y, Masuda, T, Miyamoto, S, et al.. Comparative study of circulating MMP-7, CCL18, KL-6, SP-A, and SP-D as disease markers of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. Dis Markers 2016;2016:4759040. https://doi.org/10.1155/2016/4759040.Search in Google Scholar
38. Kohashi, Y, Arai, T, Sugimoto, C, Tachibana, K, Akira, M, Kitaichi, M, et al.. Clinical impact of emphysema evaluated by high-resolution computed tomography on idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis diagnosed by surgical lung biopsy. Respiration 2016;92:220–8. https://doi.org/10.1159/000448118.Search in Google Scholar
39. Sokai, A, Tanizawa, K, Handa, T, Kubo, T, Hashimoto, S, Ikezoe, K, et al.. Asymmetry in acute exacerbation of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. ERJ Open Res 2017;3. https://doi.org/10.1183/23120541.00036-2016.Search in Google Scholar
40. Guo, L, Yang, Y, Liu, F, Jiang, C, Yang, Y, Pu, H, et al.. Clinical research on prognostic evaluation of subjects with IPF by peripheral blood biomarkers, quantitative imaging characteristics and pulmonary function parameters. Arch Bronconeumol 2020;56:365–72. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.arbr.2019.08.019.Search in Google Scholar
41. Kulkarni, T, Duncan, SR. Acute exacerbation of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis: who to treat, how to treat. Curr Pulmonol Rep 2019;8:123–30. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13665-019-00238-7.Search in Google Scholar
42. Cho, EJ, Park, KJ, Ko, DH, Koo, HJ, Lee, SM, Song, JW, et al.. Analytical and clinical performance of the Nanopia Krebs von den Lungen 6 assay in Korean patients with interstitial lung diseases. Ann Lab Med 2019;39:245–51. https://doi.org/10.3343/alm.2019.39.3.251.Search in Google Scholar
43. Horimasu, Y, Hattori, N, Ishikawa, N, Kawase, S, Tanaka, S, Yoshioka, K, et al.. Different MUC1 gene polymorphisms in German and Japanese ethnicities affect serum KL-6 levels. Respir Med 2012;106:1756–64. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rmed.2012.09.001.Search in Google Scholar
© 2021 Walter de Gruyter GmbH, Berlin/Boston