Research funding: None declared.
Author contributions: All authors have accepted responsibility for the entire content of this manuscript and approved its submission.
Competing interests: Drs. Klein and Seiden are consultants to GRAIL.
Informed consent: Not applicable.
Ethical approval: Not applicable.
1. Pons-Belda, OD, Fernandez-Uriarte, A, Ren, A, Diamandis, EP. Prognostic significance of blood-based multi-cancer detection in plasma cell-free DNA. Clin Chem Lab Med 2022;60:e88–9. https://doi.org/10.1515/cclm-2021-1113.Search in Google Scholar
2. Liu, MC, Oxnard, GR, Klein, EA, Swanton, C, Seiden, MV, CCGA Consortium. Sensitive and specific multi-cancer detection and localization using methylation signatures in cell-free DNA. Ann Oncol 2020;31:745–59. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.annonc.2020.02.011.Search in Google Scholar
3. Klein, EA, Richards, D, Cohn, A, Tummala, M, Lapham, R, Cosgrove, D, et al.. Clinical validation of a targeted methylation-based multi-cancer early detection test using an independent validation set. Ann Oncol 2021;32:1167–77. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.annonc.2021.05.806.Search in Google Scholar
4. Srivastava, S, Koay, EJ, Borowsky, AD, De Marzo, AM, Ghosh, S, Wagner, PD, et al.. Cancer overdiagnosis: a biological challenge and clinical dilemma. Nat Rev Cancer 2019;19:349–58. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41568-019-0142-8.Search in Google Scholar
6. Chen, X, Dong, Z, Hubbell, E, Kurtzman, KN, Oxnard, GR, Venn, O, et al.. Prognostic significance of blood-based multi-cancer detection in plasma cell-free DNA. Clin Cancer Res 2021;27:4221–9. https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.ccr-21-0417.Search in Google Scholar
8. Beer, TM, McDonnell, CH, Nadauld, L, Liu, MC, Klein, EA, Reid, RL, et al.. Schrag D: prespecified interim analysis of the PATHFINDER study: performance of a multicancer early detection test in support of clinical implementation. J Clin Oncol 2021;39(15 Suppl):3070. https://doi.org/10.1200/jco.2021.39.15_suppl.3070.Search in Google Scholar
9. Hubbell, E, Clarke, CA, Aravanis, AM, Berg, CD. Modeled reductions in late-stage cancer with a multi-cancer early detection test. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 2021;30:460–8. https://doi.org/10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-20-1134.Search in Google Scholar
10. Ofman, JJ, Raza, A. The cancer detection rate – a public health approach to early detection. Cancer Lett 2020;46:48–50.Search in Google Scholar
11. Hackshaw, A, Cohen, SS, Reichert, H, Kansal, AR, Chung, KC, Ofman, JJ. Estimating the population health impact of a multi-cancer early detection genomic blood test to complement existing screening in the US and UK. Br J Cancer 2021;125:1432–42. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41416-021-01498-4.Search in Google Scholar
© 2022 Walter de Gruyter GmbH, Berlin/Boston