The authors would like to thank Ad Heumassej and Tamara Cieremans for technical assistance and performing the assays.
Research funding: None declared.
Author contributions: All the authors meet the following four criteria: 1. Substantial contributions to the conception or design of the work; or the acquisition, analysis, or interpretation of data for the work; 2. Drafting the work or revising it critically for important intellectual content; 3. Final approval of the version to be published; and 4. Agreement to be accountable for all aspects of the work in ensuring that questions related to the accuracy or integrity of any part of the work are appropriately investigated and resolved. All authors have accepted responsibility for the entire content of this manuscript and approved its submission.
Competing interests: Authors state no conflict of interest.
Informed consent: Informed consent was obtained from all individuals included in this study.
Ethical approval: The research has complied with all relevant national regulations, institutional policies, and in accordance with the tenets of the Helsinki Declaration. Patient sera were obtained for routine clinical purposes and anonymously used for quality control purposes. According to the Dutch law, this does not require review by an Institutional Review Board.
2. van Dongen, H, van Aken, J, Lard, LR, Visser, K, Ronday, K, Hulsmans, HMJ, et al.. Efficacy of methotrexate treatment in patients with probable rheumatoid arthritis: a double-blind, randomized, placebo controlled trial. Arthritis Rheum 2007;56:1424–32. https://doi.org/10.1002/art.22525.Search in Google Scholar PubMed
3. van Nies, JA, Krabben, A, Schoones, JW, Huizinga, TWJ, Kloppenburg, M, van der Helm-van Mil, AHM. What is the evidence for the presence of a therapeutic window of opportunity in rheumatoid arthritis? A systematic literature review. Ann Rheum Dis 2014;73:861–70. https://doi.org/10.1136/annrheumdis-2012-203130.Search in Google Scholar PubMed
4. Nielen, MJM, van Schaardenburg, D, Reesink, HW, van de Stadt, R, van der Horst-Bruinsma, E, de Koning, MHM, et al.. Specific autoantibodies precede the symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis: a study of serial measurements in blood donors. Arthritis Rheum 2004;50:380–6. https://doi.org/10.1002/art.20018.Search in Google Scholar PubMed
5. Schellekens, GA, de Jong, BA, van den Hoogen, FH, van de Putte, LB, van Venrooij, WJ. Citrulline is an essential constituent of antigenic determinants recognized by rheumatoid arthritis-specific autoantibodies. J Clin Invest 1998;101:273–81. https://doi.org/10.1172/jci1316.Search in Google Scholar PubMed PubMed Central
6. Aletaha, D, Neogi, T, Silman, AJ, Funovits, J, Felson, DT, Bingham, CO3rd, et al.. 2010 Rheumatoid arthritis classification criteria: an American College of Rheumatology/European League against Rheumatism collaborative initiative. Arthritis Rheum 2010;62:2569–81. https://doi.org/10.1002/art.27584.Search in Google Scholar PubMed
7. Van Hoovels, L, Jacobs, J, Vander Cruyssen, B, Van den Bremt, S, Verschueren, P, Bossuyt, X. Performance characteristics of rheumatoid factor and anti-cyclic citrullinated peptide antibody assays may impact ACR/EULAR classification of rheumatoid arthritis. Ann Rheum Dis 2018;77:667–77. https://doi.org/10.1136/annrheumdis-2017-212365.Search in Google Scholar PubMed
8. Martinez-Prat, L, Nissen, MJ, Lamacchia, C, Bentow, C, Cesana, L, Roux-Lombard, P, et al.. Comparison of serological biomarkers in rheumatoid arthritis and their combination to improve diagnostic performance. Front Immunol 2018;9:1113. https://doi.org/10.3389/fimmu.2018.01113.Search in Google Scholar PubMed PubMed Central
9. van Gaalen, FA, Linn-Rasker, SP, van Venrooij, WJ, de Jong, BA, Breedveld, FC, Verweij, CL, et al.. Autoantibodies to cyclic citrullinated peptides predict progression to rheumatoid arthritis in patients with undifferentiated arthritis: a prospective cohort study. Arthritis Rheum 2004;50:709–15. https://doi.org/10.1002/art.20044.Search in Google Scholar PubMed
10. van Venrooij, WJ, van Beers, JJ, Pruijn, GJ. Anti-CCP antibodies: the past, the present and the future. Nat Rev Rheumatol 2011;7:391–8. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrrheum.2011.76.Search in Google Scholar PubMed
11. Sokolova, MV, Schett, G, Steffen, U. Autoantibodies in rheumatoid arthritis: historical background and novel findings. Clin Rev Allergy Immunol 2021. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12016-021-08890-1.Search in Google Scholar PubMed
The online version of this article offers supplementary material (https://doi.org/10.1515/cclm-2022-0101).
© 2022 Walter de Gruyter GmbH, Berlin/Boston