Research funding: None declared.
Author contributions: E.J. and R.A. delivered patient care and provided clinical data; C.K. and M.L. reviewed laboratory data and wrote the manuscript; C.K. produced the figure; C.Z. critically revised the manuscript. All authors have accepted responsibility for the entire content of this manuscript and approved its submission.
Competing interests: Authors state no conflict of interest.
Informed consent: Consent was unobtainable (not refused). The case was completely anonymized, with no unique identifying characteristic that could lead to inadvertent patient identification.
Ethical approval: Not applicable.
1. Berny, P, Velardo, J, Pulce, C, D’amico, A, Kammerer, M, Lasseur, R. Prevalence of anticoagulant rodenticide poisoning in humans and animals in France and substances involved. Clin Toxicol 2010;48:935–41. https://doi.org/10.3109/15563650.2010.533678.Search in Google Scholar
2. Gummin, DD, Mowry, JB, Beuhler, MC, Spyker, DA, Bronstein, AC, Rivers, LJ, et al.. 2020 annual report of the American association of poison control centers’ national poison data system (NPDS): 38th annual report. Clin Toxicol 2021;59:1282–501. https://doi.org/10.1080/15563650.2021.1989785.Search in Google Scholar
3. Gicquel, T, Richeval, C, Mesli, V, Gish, A, Hakim, F, Pelletier, R, et al.. Fatal intoxication related to two new arylcyclohexylamine derivatives (2F-DCK and 3-MeO-PCE). Forensic Sci Int 2021;324:110852. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.forsciint.2021.110852.Search in Google Scholar
4. Schulz, M, Schmoldt, A, Andresen-Streichert, H, Iwersen-Bergmann, S. Revisited: therapeutic and toxic blood concentrations of more than 1100 drugs and other xenobiotics. Crit Care 2020;24:195. https://doi.org/10.1186/s13054-020-02915-5.Search in Google Scholar
6. King, N, Tran, MH. Long-acting anticoagulant rodenticide (superwarfarin) poisoning: a review of its historical development, epidemiology, and clinical management. Transfus Med Rev 2015;29:250–8.10.1016/j.tmrv.2015.06.002Search in Google Scholar PubMed
7. Chong, YK, Mak, TWL. Superwarfarin (long-acting anticoagulant rodenticides) poisoning: from pathophysiology to laboratory-guided clinical management. Clin Biochem Rev 2019;40:175–85.10.33176/AACB-19-00029Search in Google Scholar PubMed PubMed Central
8. Vandenbroucke, V, Bousquet-Melou, A, De Backer, P, Croubels, S. Pharmacokinetics of eight anticoagulant rodenticides in mice after single oral administration. J Vet Pharmacol Ther 2008;31:437–45. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2885.2008.00979.x.Search in Google Scholar PubMed
9. Carelli, C, Fais, P, Freni, F, Moretti, M, Vignali, C, Morini, L. Importance of segmental hair analysis in a suspected case of attempted homicide by flocoumafen and difenacoum. Forensic Sci Int 2020;316:110466. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.forsciint.2020.110466.Search in Google Scholar PubMed
© 2022 Walter de Gruyter GmbH, Berlin/Boston