Research funding: None declared.
Author contributions: All authors have accepted responsibility for the entire content of this manuscript and approved its submission.
Competing interests: Authors state no conflict of interest.
Informed consent: Informed consent was obtained from all individuals included in this study.
Ethical approval: The local Institutional Review Board deemed the study exempt from review.
1. Baccini, V, Genevieve, F, Jacqmin, H, Chatelain, B, Girard, S, Wuilleme, S, et al.. Platelet counting: ugly traps and good advice. Proposals from the French-speaking cellular hematology group (GFHC). J Clin Med 2020;9:808. https://doi.org/10.3390/jcm9030808.Search in Google Scholar PubMed PubMed Central
2. Lippi, G, Plebani, M. EDTA-dependent pseudothrombocytopenia: further insights and recommendations for prevention of a clinically threatening artifact. Clin Chem Lab Med 2012;50:1281–5. https://doi.org/10.1515/cclm-2012-0081.Search in Google Scholar PubMed
3. Paul, P, Kaur, M, Kakkar, N, Kumar, N. Co-existent platelet phagocytosis, satellitism and clumping causing spurious thrombocytopenia. Indian J Hematol Blood Transfus 2013;29:158–60. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12288-012-0160-0.Search in Google Scholar PubMed PubMed Central
5. Bizzaro, N, Goldschmeding, R, von dem Borne, AE. Platelet satellitism is Fc gamma RIII (CD16) receptor-mediated. Am J Clin Pathol 1995;103:740–4. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcp/103.6.740.Search in Google Scholar PubMed
6. Hirose, S, Lin, Q, Ohtsuji, M, Nishimura, H, Verbeek, JS. Monocyte subsets involved in the development of systemic lupus erythematosus and rheumatoid arthritis. Int Immunol 2019;31:687–96. https://doi.org/10.1093/intimm/dxz036.Search in Google Scholar PubMed PubMed Central
7. Hagiwara, K, Sawanobori, M, Nakagawa, Y, Sato, T, Akiyama, O, Takemura, T. Reactive hemophagocytic syndrome in a case of systemic lupus erythematosus that was diagnosed by detection of hemophagocytosing macrophages in peripheral blood smears. Mod Rheumatol 2006;16:169–71. https://doi.org/10.3109/s10165-006-0473-7.Search in Google Scholar
9. Lardinois, B, Favresse, J, Chatelain, B, Lippi, G, Mullier, F. Pseudothrombocytopenia-A review on causes, occurrence and clinical implications. J Clin Med 2021;10:594. https://doi.org/10.3390/jcm10040594.Search in Google Scholar PubMed PubMed Central
© 2022 Walter de Gruyter GmbH, Berlin/Boston