We thank Dr. Miriam Conte for the English revision of the manuscript.
Research funding: None declared.
Author contributions: La Gioia A and Fiorini F contributed to the conception and design of the study. Salamone D, Basile M and Andreoli E were involved in the hematological and microbiological evaluof results. La Gioia A and Fiorini M supervised the study. All authors read and approved the final manuscript. All authors have accepted responsibility for the entire content of this manuscript and approved its submission.
Competing interests: Authors state no conflict of interest.
Informed consent: Not applicable.
Ethical approval: The local Institutional Review Board deemed the study exempt from review.
1. La Gioia, A, Lofaro, A, Laube, F, Petrini, M. Screening for hemoglobin C using Technicon H-6000: the effect of formalin. Acta Haematol 1987;77:48–50. https://doi.org/10.1159/000205949.Search in Google Scholar PubMed
2. Hur, M, Lee, YK, Lee, KM, Kim, HJ, Cho, HI. Pseudobasophilia as an erroneous white blood cell differential count with a discrepancy between automated cell counters: report of two cases. Clin Lab Haematol 2004;26:287–90. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2257.2004.00615.x.Search in Google Scholar PubMed
3. Ningombam, A, Sarkar, A, Acharya, S, Chopra, A, Kumar, K, Subramanian, A. Application of Sysmex XN-series automated haematology analyser in the rapid detection of malaria. Indian J Hematol Blood Transfus 2020;36:512–8. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12288-020-01276-x.Search in Google Scholar PubMed PubMed Central
4. Sun, Y, Xiang, D, Chen, C, He, S, Qi, H, Wang, C. Infected RBC flag/parameter provided by Mindray BC-6800 haematology analyser aid the diagnosis of malaria. Malar J 2019;18:1–8.10.1186/s12936-019-2890-zSearch in Google Scholar PubMed PubMed Central
5. Gérard, D, Lesesve, JF. Abnormal dot plots on current automated blood cell analyser helped to yeast detection. Clin Case Rep 2020;8:776. https://doi.org/10.1002/ccr3.2716.Search in Google Scholar PubMed PubMed Central
6. Comar, SR, Spiri, BS, Ferreira, DS, de Azambuja, AP. Early detection of Candida parapsilosis sepsis in peripheral blood as a result of cytografic changes on the Sysmex XN-3000 hematology analyser. Int J Lab Hematol 2021;43:e280–3.10.1111/ijlh.13566Search in Google Scholar PubMed
7. La Gioia, A, Bombara, M, Fiorini, F, Dell’Amico, M, Devito, A, Isola, P, et al.. Earlier detection of sepsis by Candida parapsilosis using three-dimensional cytographic anomalies on the Mindray BC-6800 haematological analyser. Clin Chem Lab Med 2016;54:e239–42.10.1515/cclm-2015-1120Search in Google Scholar PubMed
8. La Gioia, A, Devito, A, Fiorini, F, Bombara, M, Isola, P, Spinale, B, et al.. Cytographic changes on BC-6800 Haematological Analyser related to the presence of Candida albicans in peripheral blood. A new tool to suspect candidemia? J Clin Pathol 2017;70:494–9. https://doi.org/10.1136/jclinpath-2016-204078.Search in Google Scholar PubMed
9. Kim, HR, Park, BR, Lee, MK. Effects of bacteria and yeast on WBC counting in three automated hematology counters. Ann Hematol 2008;87:557–62. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00277-008-0464-1.Search in Google Scholar PubMed
10. Pinto-Magalhães, S, Martins, A, Lacerda, S, Filipe, R, Prista-Leão, B, Pinheiro, D, et al.. Candidemia in a Portuguese tertiary care hospital: analysis of a 2-year period. J Mycolog Méd 2019;29:320–4. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mycmed.2019.08.002.Search in Google Scholar PubMed
© 2022 Walter de Gruyter GmbH, Berlin/Boston