Funding source: Key R&D Program of Zhejiang Province 2022C03167
Funding source: Zhejiang Province Public Welfare Technology Application Research Project LGC21H090001
Funding source: Key Technologies Research and Development Program of Zhejiang Province 2021C03099
We thank Isaac Liu and Mingjuan Jin for their contribution to the study design.
Research funding: This work is supported by Key R&D Program of Zhejiang Province (2022C03167), Zhejiang Province Public Welfare Technology Application Research Project (LGC21H090001), and Key Technologies Research and Development Program of Zhejiang Province (2021C03099).
Author contributions: All authors have accepted the responsibility for the entire content of this manuscript and approved its submission.
Competing interests: Authors state no conflict of interest.
Informed consent: Informed consent was obtained from all individuals included in this study.
Ethical approval: This study was approved by the Ethics Committee of Children’s Hospital, Zhejiang University School of Medicine (2020-IRB-186).
Data availability: The data that support the findings of this study are available from the corresponding author upon reasonable request.
1. Sugarman, EA, Nagan, N, Zhu, H, Akmaev, VR, Zhou, Z, Rohlfs, EM, et al.. Pan-ethnic carrier screening and prenatal diagnosis for spinal muscular atrophy: clinical laboratory analysis of >72,400 specimens. Eur J Hum Genet 2012;20:27–32. https://doi.org/10.1038/ejhg.2011.134.Search in Google Scholar
3. Mercuri, E, Darras, BT, Chiriboga, CA, Day, JW, Campbell, C, Connolly, AM, et al.. Nusinersen versus Sham control in later-onset spinal muscular atrophy. N Engl J Med 2018;378:625–35. https://doi.org/10.1056/nejmoa1710504.Search in Google Scholar PubMed
4. Khalil, M, Teunissen, CE, Otto, M, Piehl, F, Sormani, MP, Gattringer, T, et al.. Neurofilaments as biomarkers in neurological disorders. Nat Rev Neurol 2018;14:577–89. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41582-018-0058-z.Search in Google Scholar PubMed
5. Lu, CH, Macdonald-Wallis, C, Gray, E, Pearce, N, Petzold, A, Norgren, N, et al.. Neurofilament light chain: a prognostic biomarker in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Neurology 2015;84:2247–57. https://doi.org/10.1212/wnl.0000000000001642.Search in Google Scholar
6. Rojas, JC, Karydas, A, Bang, J, Tsai, RM, Blennow, K, Liman, V, et al.. Plasma neurofilament light chain predicts progression in progressive supranuclear palsy. Ann Clin Transl Neurol 2016;3:216–25. https://doi.org/10.1002/acn3.290.Search in Google Scholar PubMed PubMed Central
7. Nitz, E, Smitka, M, Schallner, J, Akgün, K, Ziemssen, T, von der Hagen, M, et al.. Serum neurofilament light chain in pediatric spinal muscular atrophy patients and healthy children. Ann Clin Transl Neurol 2021;8:2013–24. https://doi.org/10.1002/acn3.51449.Search in Google Scholar PubMed PubMed Central
8. Jin, J, Cui, Y, Hong, Y, Zhou, D, He, N, Mao, Z, et al.. Reference values for plasma neurofilament light chain in healthy Chinese children. Clin Chem Lab Med 2022;60:e10–2. https://doi.org/10.1515/cclm-2021-0804.Search in Google Scholar PubMed
9. Wurster, CD, Steinacker, P, Günther, R, Koch, JC, Lingor, P, Uzelac, Z, et al.. Neurofilament light chain in serum of adolescent and adult SMA patients under treatment with nusinersen. J Neurol 2020;267:36–44. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00415-019-09547-y.Search in Google Scholar PubMed
© 2022 Walter de Gruyter GmbH, Berlin/Boston