Research funding: None declared.
Author contributions: Jared Cobb, Karolina Szczesna and others at Nexus Dx performed experimental design, conducted the experiments, analyzed and interpreted the results. Jared Cobb and Karolina Szczesna wrote the manuscript. Jared Cobb and Axel Schulze performed data analyses. Karolina Szczesna and Julia Löffler helped with data analyses. Deborah Bergmann was involved in the experimental design and read and approved the final version of the paper. Elizabeth Shin was involved experimental design, and approved the final version. Tobias Hartmann helped with experimental design and implementation of experiments, read and approved the final version of the paper. Damien Gruson and others at CUSL helped with analyses and interpretation of the results, and approved the final version.
Competing interests: The authors confirm that this paper content has no conflict of interests. Jared Cobb, Tyler Do, Minh Vu, John Nguyen and Elizabeth Shin are currently employed by Nexus Dx. Karolina Szczesna, Axel Schulze, Deborah Bergmann and Tobias Hartmann are employed by SphingoTec GmbH, Hennigsdorf (Berlin), Germany. Huy Ngo and McKenna Doyle are an ex-employee of Nexus-Dx, San Diego, CA, USA. Julia Löffler is a former employee of SphingoTec GmbH, Hennigsdorf (Berlin), Germany. The here presented work was performed during the employment.
Informed consent: Not applicable.
Ethical approval: Not applicable.
1. Ponce, D, Balbi, A. Acute kidney injury: risk factors and management challenges in developing countries. Int J Nephrol Renovascular Dis 2016;9:193–200. https://doi.org/10.2147/ijnrd.s104209.Search in Google Scholar
2. Ostermann, M, Zarbock, A, Goldstein, S, Kashani, K, Macedo, E, Murugan, R, et al.. Recommendations on acute kidney injury biomarkers from the acute disease quality initiative consensus conference: a consensus statement. JAMA Netw Open 2020;3:e2019209. https://doi.org/10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2020.19209.Search in Google Scholar PubMed
3. Khorashadi, M, Beunders, R, Pickkers, P, Legrand, M. Proenkephalin: a new biomarker for glomerular filtration rate and acute kidney injury. Nephron 2020;144:655–61. https://doi.org/10.1159/000509352.Search in Google Scholar PubMed PubMed Central
4. Beunders, R, van Groenendael, R, Leijte, GP, Kox, M, Pickkers, P. Proenkephalin compared to conventional methods to assess kidney function in critically ill sepsis patients. Shock 2020;54:308–14. https://doi.org/10.1097/shk.0000000000001510.Search in Google Scholar
5. Beunders, R, Struck, J, Wu, AHB, Zarbock, A, Di Somma, S, Mehta, RL, et al.. Proenkephalin (PENK) as a novel biomarker for kidney function. J Appl Lab Med 2017;2:400–12. https://doi.org/10.1373/jalm.2017.023598.Search in Google Scholar PubMed
6. Hollinger, A, Wittebole, X, Francois, B, Pickkers, P, Antonelli, M, Gayat, E, et al.. Proenkephalin A 119-159 (penkid) is an early biomarker of septic acute kidney injury: the kidney in sepsis and septic shock (Kid-SSS) study. Kidney Int Rep 2018;3:1424–33. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ekir.2018.08.006.Search in Google Scholar PubMed PubMed Central
7. von Groote, T, Albert, F, Meersch, M, Koch, R, Porschen, C, Hartmann, O, et al.. Proenkephalin A 119-159 predicts early and successful liberation from renal replacement therapy in critically ill patients with acute kidney injury: a post hoc analysis of the ELAIN trial. Crit Care 2022;26:333. https://doi.org/10.1186/s13054-022-04217-4.Search in Google Scholar PubMed PubMed Central
8. Marino, R, Struck, J, Hartmann, O, Maisel, AS, Rehfeldt, M, Magrini, L, et al.. Diagnostic and short-term prognostic utility of plasma pro-enkephalin (pro-ENK) for acute kidney injury in patients admitted with sepsis in the emergency department. J Nephrol 2015;28:717–24. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40620-014-0163-z.Search in Google Scholar PubMed
9. Song, J, Kweon, TD, Song, Y, Lee, EY, Kim, SJ, Park, R. Analytical and clinical performance of a new point of care LABGEOIB D-dimer test for diagnosis of venous thromboembolism. Ann Clin Lab Sci 2014;44:254–61.Search in Google Scholar
10. Donato, LJ, Meeusen, JW, Lieske, JC, Bergmann, D, Sparwaßer, A, Jaffe, AS. Analytical performance of an immunoassay to measure proenkephalin. Clin Biochem 2018;58:72–7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clinbiochem.2018.05.010.Search in Google Scholar PubMed
This article contains supplementary material (https://doi.org/10.1515/cclm-2022-1187).
© 2023 Walter de Gruyter GmbH, Berlin/Boston