Research funding: None declared.
Author contributions: All authors have accepted responsibility for the entire content of this manuscript and approved its submission.
Competing interests: Authors state no conflict of interest.
Informed consent: Informed consent was obtained from all individuals included in this study.
Ethical approval: The local Institutional Review Board deemed the study exempt from review.
1. Kim, H, Hur, M, Choi, SG, Oh, KM, Moon, HW, Yun, YM. Comparison of white blood cell counts by WNR, WDF, and WPC channels in Sysmex XN hematology analyzer. Int J Lab Hematol 2015;37:869–75. https://doi.org/10.1111/ijlh.12421.Search in Google Scholar PubMed
2. Kaido, M, Takagi, Y, Kono, M, Nakazawa, F, Yamamoto, S, Wada, A, et al.. Investigation of morphological changes for the discrimination of nucleated red blood cells and other leukocytes in Sysmex XN hematology analyzer scattergrams using transmission electron microscopy. Pract Lab Med 2017;8:70–6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.plabm.2017.05.001.Search in Google Scholar PubMed PubMed Central
3. Buoro, S, Manenti, B, Seghezzi, M, Moioli, V, Bagorria, M, Callegaro, A, et al.. Abnormal scattergrams and cell population data generated by fully automated hematological analyzers: new tools for screening malaria infection? Int J Lab Hematol 2018;40:326–34. https://doi.org/10.1111/ijlh.12790.Search in Google Scholar PubMed
4. Bizzaro, N. Granulocyte aggregation is edetic acid and temperature dependent. Arch Pathol Lab Med 1993;117:528–30.Search in Google Scholar
5. Carr, ME, Whitehead, J, Carlson, P, Todd, W, Orcutt, J, Wallace, H. Case report: immunoglobulin M-mediated, temperature-dependent neutrophil agglutination as a cause of pseudoneutropenia. Am J Med Sci 1996;311:92–5. https://doi.org/10.1097/00000441-199602000-00008.Search in Google Scholar PubMed
6. Inaba, T, Shimomoto, B, Yuki, Y, Okumura, K, Nishimura, H, Koshino, K, et al.. New alert message settings for the XN-series automated hematology analyzer are useful for avoiding falsely high WBC counts and to detect specimens with giant platelets. Ann Clin Lab Sci 2017;47:581–5.Search in Google Scholar
7. Nguyen, VT, Gobin, D, Li, R, Cantinieaux, B. Spurious decrease in the WBC count measured by the WNR channel of XN haematology analyser (Sysmex) could be associated with metastatic adenocarcinoma. Int J Lab Hematol 2015;37:e129–32. https://doi.org/10.1111/ijlh.12379.Search in Google Scholar PubMed
8. Xu, C, Yi, Y, Zhu, D, Xie, Z, Li, X, Xi, Y. Spurious low WBC count from Sysmex XN3000: a case report. Clin Lab 2019;65:11. https://doi.org/10.7754/Clin.Lab.2019.190409.Search in Google Scholar PubMed
9. Sultan, S, Irfan, SM. In vitro leukoagglutination: a rare hematological cause of spurious leukopenia. Acta Med Iran 2017;55:408–10.Search in Google Scholar
10. Zandecki, M, Genevieve, F, Gerard, J, Godon, A. Spurious counts and spurious results on haematology analysers: a review. Part II: white blood cells, red blood cells, haemoglobin, red cell indices and reticulocytes. Int J Lab Hematol 2007;29:21–41. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2257.2006.00871.x.Search in Google Scholar PubMed
11. de Jonge, R, Brouwer, R, Smit, M, de Frankrijker-Merkestijn, M, Dolhain, RJ, Hazes, JM, et al.. Automated counting of white blood cells in synovial. Rheumatology 2004;43:170–3. https://doi.org/10.1093/rheumatology/keh021.Search in Google Scholar PubMed
12. Jong, A, Wu, CH, Chen, HM, Luo, F, Kwon-Chung, KJ, Chang, YC, et al.. Identification and characterization of CPS1 as a hyaluronic acid synthase contributing to the pathogenesis of Cryptococcus neoformans infection. Eukaryot Cell 2007;6:1486–96. https://doi.org/10.1128/ec.00120-07.Search in Google Scholar
© 2023 Walter de Gruyter GmbH, Berlin/Boston