Infective endoplastitis/endocarditis (IE) due to a cardiac implant is an extremely rare event during pregnancy. Management and prognosis is not well known in this population.
A 29-year-old woman, gravida 1 para 0, at 19 3/7 weeks gestation with an Amplatzer septal occluder presented to the hospital with fever. A transesophageal echocardiogram demonstrated cardiac vegetations. She subsequently underwent cardiopulmonary bypass surgery with fetal monitoring to remove the device and eventually went on to deliver a full-term infant.
IE should be on the differential in patients with cardiac device. Multidisciplinary efforts enable prompt initiation of treatment after weighing the risks and benefits to both mother and fetus. Lastly, the fetal status can be utilized to assess for hemodynamic status of the mother.
Research funding: None declared.
Author contributions: All authors have accepted responsibility for the entire content of this manuscript and approved its submission.
Competing interests: Authors state no conflict of interest.
Informed consent: Informed consent was obtained from all individuals included in this study.
Ethical approval: Research involving human subjects complied with all relevant national regulations, institutional policies and is in accordance with the tenets of the Helsinki Declaration (as revised in 2013), and has been approved by the authors’ Institutional Review Board or equivalent committee.
1. Botta, L, Merati, R, Vignati, G, Orcese, CA, De Chiara, B, Cannata, A, et al.. Mitral valve endocarditis due to Abiotrophia defectiva in a 14th week pregnant woman. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 2016;22:112–15.10.1093/icvts/ivv289Search in Google Scholar
3. Jha, N, Kiraly, L, Murala, JSK, Tamas, C, Talo, H, Badaoui, HE, et al.. Late endocarditis of Amplatzer atrial septal occluder device in a child. World J Cardiol 2015;7:703–6.10.4330/wjc.v7.i10.703Search in Google Scholar PubMed PubMed Central
4. Luo, L, Sun, Q, Chen, L, Ying, D, Qu, X, Chen, Z. Survival of the fetus during maternal thoracotomy under cardiopulmonary bypass for infective endocarditis. Jpn Soc Obstet Gynecol 2017;43:1634–8.10.1111/jog.13414Search in Google Scholar PubMed
5. Boulemden, A, Malin, G, Wallace, SF, Mahmoud, A, Smith, W, Szafranek, A. Mechanical mitral valve replacement during the 2nd trimester of pregnancy. Tex Heart Inst J 2018;45:31–4.10.14503/THIJ-16-6144Search in Google Scholar PubMed PubMed Central
6. Yuan, SM. Infective endocarditis in pregnancy. J Coll Physicians Surg Pak 2013;25:134–9.Search in Google Scholar
8. Lam, C, Sharman, S, Baker, SB, Hilshorst, J, Lombardi, J, Clark, KE, Eghtesada, P. Fetal stress response to fetal cardiac surgery. Ann Thorac Surg 2008;85:1719–28.10.1016/j.athoracsur.2008.01.096Search in Google Scholar PubMed
© 2020 Walter de Gruyter GmbH, Berlin/Boston