Power quality has become major concern these days due to application of power electronic devices. Conventional equipment like passive filter, segregate series and shunt filters and synchronous condenser etc. have become inadequate to mitigate different power quality problems. Since, power quality mainly concerned with voltage quality and the current quality in the system. For voltage quality, series compensator is used and for current quality, shunt compensator is used. Further, when these two power quality problems are mitigated simultaneously, the device, which is used, called unified power quality conditioner (UPQC), in power distribution system. In this paper voltage related power quality problems such as (voltage sag, voltage swell, voltage and current distortion) are discussed and UPQC controller is simulated to mitigate these problems. There are different control techniques available for UPQC. Here one of them i.e., unit vector template generation (UVTG) is used to simulate UPQC controller. The considered system efficiently regulated the DC link voltage using properly tuned PI parameters. The proposed work is also validated using experimental results.
Funding source: Department of Science and Technology
Award Identifier / Grant number: DST/INT/Thai/P-12/2019
The authors would like to thank DST, Government of India for supporting the research vide no. DST/INT/Thai/P-12/2019
Author contribution: All the authors have accepted responsibility for the entire content of this submitted manuscript and approved submission.
Research funding: The authors would like to thank DST, Government of India for supporting the research vide no. DST/INT/Thai/P-12/2019 and MOST, Thailand having grant no. 75539000/720.
Employment or leadership: None declared.
Conflict of interest statement: The authors declare no conflicts of interest regarding this article.
1. Chandra, A, Singh, B, Singh, BN, Al-Haddad, K. An improved control algorithm of shunt active filter for voltage regulation, harmonic elimination, power-factor correction, and balancing of nonlinear loads. IEEE Trans Power Electron May 2000;15:495–507. https://doi.org/10.1109/63.844510.Search in Google Scholar
2. IEEE recommended practice and requirements for harmonic control in electric power systems, IEEE Std 519-2014 (Revision of IEEE Std 519-1992). pp. 1–29; 11 June 2014.Search in Google Scholar
3. IEEE recommended practice for monitoring electric power quality, IEEE Std 1159-2009 (Revision of IEEE Std 1159-1995). pp.c1–81; 26 June 2009.Search in Google Scholar
4. Kesler, M, Ozdemir, E. Synchronous-reference-frame-based control method for UPQC under unbalanced and distorted load conditions. IEEE Trans Ind Electron Sept. 2011;58:3967–75. https://doi.org/10.1109/tie.2010.2100330.Search in Google Scholar
5. Dash, SK, Mishra, S, Ray, PK. Photovoltaic tied unified power quality conditioner for mitigation of voltage distortions. IEEE ICCECE Dec 2016; 1–6.10.1109/ICCECE.2016.8009542Search in Google Scholar
6. Dash, SK, Ray, PK. DS1103 realtime operation and control of Photovoltaic fed unified power quality conditioner. IEEE TENCON 2016:3424–8. https://doi.org/10.1109/tencon.2016.7848690.Search in Google Scholar
7. Khadkikar, V, Chandra, A. UPQC-S: a novel concept of simultaneous voltage sag/swell and load reactive power compensations utilizing series inverter of UPQC. IEEE Trans Power Electron Sept 2011;26:2414–25. https://doi.org/10.1109/tpel.2011.2106222.Search in Google Scholar
8. Maity, AK, Pratihar, R, Sadhu, S, Dalai, S. Biogeography based PI controller for unified power quality conditioner. In: 2016 IEEE First International Conference on control, Measurement and Instrumentation (CMI). Kolkata; 2016. p. 1–6.10.1109/CMI.2016.7413750Search in Google Scholar
9. Morotomi, T, Sato, T, Nishijima, K, Nabeshima, T. Dynamic characteristics of hysteretic PWM control operated in double switching frequency of clock signal. In: 15th European Conference on Power Electronics and Applications (EPE). Lille; 2013. p. 1–9.10.1109/EPE.2013.6634362Search in Google Scholar
10. Khadkikar, V, Agarwal, P, Chandra, A, Barry, AO, Nguyen, TD. A simple new control technique for unified power quality conditioner (UPQC). In: 11th International Conference on Harmonics and quality of power; 2004. pp. 1–4.10.1109/ICHQP.2004.1409369Search in Google Scholar
11. Ambati, BB, Khadkikar, V. Optimal sizing of UPQC considering VA loading and maximum utilization of power-electronic converters. IEEE Trans Power Deliv June 2014;29:1490–8. https://doi.org/10.1109/tpwrd.2013.2295857.Search in Google Scholar
12. Swain, SD, Ray, PK, Mohanty, KB. Improvement of power quality using a robust hybrid series active power filter. IEEE Trans Power Electron 2017;32:3490–8. https://doi.org/10.1109/tpel.2016.2586525.Search in Google Scholar
13. Han, B, Bae, B, Baek, S, Jang, G. New configuration of UPQC for medium-voltage application. IEEE Trans Power Deliv July 2006;21:1438–44. https://doi.org/10.1109/tpwrd.2005.860235.Search in Google Scholar
© 2020 Walter de Gruyter GmbH, Berlin/Boston