Integration of distribution generation (DG) makes the growth of the microgrid protection scheme very challenging issues. Researchers from all over the world continuously are doing hard work for developing the microgrid protection schemes. A differential positive sequence power angle (DPSPA) based microgrid protection scheme is proposed in this paper using positive sequence (PS) components of voltages and currents. The DPSPA for the feeder is calculated considering both ends of voltage and current signal information, when it is more than threshold, internal fault is reported otherwise, it is an external fault. Taking into consideration the varying operational modes of the microgrid, variations in DG penetration, and variations in fault variables namely fault types, and fault locations, the proposed protection scheme is verified on a modified IEEE-13 bus feeder. Moreover, to test the robustness and efficacy of the suggested scheme, various non-faulty events including induction motor starting, non-linear loading, load switching, capacitor switching, and section cutoff have been conducted. The proposed scheme is also verified for external faults and it is found that it continues to be stable for the external faults. The findings exhibit this proposed scheme, which is based on DPSPA, can successfully protect the microgrid under changing operating conditions.
Author contributions: All the authors have accepted responsibility for the entire content of this submitted manuscript and approved submission.
Research funding: None declared.
Conflict of interest statement: The authors declare no conflicts of interest regarding this article.
1. Parhizi, S, Lotfi, H, Khodaei, A, Bahramirad, S. State of the art in research on microgrids: a review. IEEE Access 2015;3:890–925. https://doi.org/10.1109/access.2015.2443119.Search in Google Scholar
2. Saldarriaga-Zuluaga, SD, Lopez-Lezama, JM, Munoz-Galeano, N. Protection coordination in microgrids: current weaknesses, available solutions and future challenges. IEEE Lat Am Trans 2020;18:1715–23. https://doi.org/10.1109/tla.2020.9387642.Search in Google Scholar
3. Gupta, OH, Tripathy, M, Sood, VK. Islanding detection scheme for converter-based DGs with nearly zero non-detectable zone. IET Gener Transm Distrib 2019;13:5365–74. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-gtd.2018.5168.Search in Google Scholar
4. Soleimanisardoo, A, Karegar, HK, Zeineldin, HH. Differential frequency protection scheme based on off-nominal frequency injections for inverter-based islanded microgrids. IEEE Trans Smart Grid 2019;10:2107–14.10.1109/TSG.2017.2788851Search in Google Scholar
5. Saleh, KA, Hooshyar, A, El-Saadany, EF. Ultra-high-speed traveling-wave-based protection scheme for medium-voltage DC microgrids. IEEE Trans Smart Grid 2019;10:1440–51. https://doi.org/10.1109/tsg.2017.2767552.Search in Google Scholar
6. Hooshyar, A, Iravani, R. A new directional element for microgrid protection. IEEE Trans Smart Grid 2018;9:6862–76. https://doi.org/10.1109/tsg.2017.2727400.Search in Google Scholar
7. Hooshyar, A, Iravani, R. Microgrid protection. Proc IEEE 2017;105:1332–53. https://doi.org/10.1109/jproc.2017.2669342.Search in Google Scholar
8. Martin, D, Sharma, P, Sinclair, A and Finney, D. Distance protection in distribution systems: how it assists with integrating distributed resources. In: 2012 65th Annual Conference for Protective Relay Engineers; 2012:166–177 pp. https://doi.org/10.1109/CPRE.2012.6201231.Search in Google Scholar
9. Nikolaidis, VC, Tsimtsios, AM, Safigianni, AS. Investigating particularities of infeed and fault resistance effect on distance relays protecting radial distribution feeders with DG. IEEE Access 2018;6:11301–12. https://doi.org/10.1109/access.2018.2804046.Search in Google Scholar
10. El Arroudi, K, Joos, G. Performance of interconnection protection based on distance relaying for wind power distributed generation. IEEE Trans Power Deliv 2017;33:620–9.10.1109/TPWRD.2017.2693292Search in Google Scholar
11. Chilvers, I, Jenkins, N, Crossley, P. Distance relaying of 11 kV circuits to increase the installed capacity of distributed generation. IET Gener Transm Distrib 2005;152:4020041205–6. https://doi.org/10.1049/ip-gtd:.10.1049/ip-gtd:20041205Search in Google Scholar
12. Sortomme, E, Venkata, SS, Mitra, J. Microgrid protection using communication-assisted digital relays. In: IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery; 2010, vol 25:2789–96 pp. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2009.2035810.Search in Google Scholar
13. Kar, S, Samantaray, SR, Zadeh, MD. Data-mining model based intelligent differential microgrid protection scheme. IEEE Syst J 2017;11:1161–9. https://doi.org/10.1109/jsyst.2014.2380432.Search in Google Scholar
14. Gururani, A, Mohanty, SR, Mohanta, JC. Microgrid protection using Hilbert–Huang transform based-differential scheme. IET Gener Transm Distrib 2016;10:3707–16, https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-gtd.2015.1563.Search in Google Scholar
15. Biswal, S, Biswal, M, Malik, OP. Hilbert Huang transform based online differential relay algorithm for a shunt-compensated transmission line. IEEE Trans Power Deliv 2018;33:2803–11. https://doi.org/10.1109/tpwrd.2018.2827843.Search in Google Scholar
16. Sahoo, A, Arunan, A, Mahmud, K, Ravishankar, J, Nizami, MSH, Hossain, MJ. Teager-Huang based fault detection in inverter-interfaced AC microgrid. In: 2019 IEEE International Conference on Environment and Electrical Engineering and 2019 IEEE Industrial and Commercial Power Systems Europe (EEEIC / I&CPS Europe). IEEE; 2019, in this issue.10.1109/EEEIC.2019.8783453Search in Google Scholar
17. Mirsaeidi, S, Mat Said, D, Mustafa, MW, Hafiz Habibuddin, M. A protection strategy for micro-grids based on positive-sequence component. IET Renew Power Gener 2015;9:600–9. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-rpg.2014.0255.Search in Google Scholar
18. Muda, H, Jena, P. Superimposed adaptive sequence current based microgrid protection: a new technique. IEEE Trans Power Deliv 2017;32:757–67. https://doi.org/10.1109/tpwrd.2016.2601921.Search in Google Scholar
19. Casagrande, E, Woon, WL, Zeineldin, HH, Svetinovic, D. A differential sequence component protection scheme for microgrids with inverter-based distributed generators. IEEE Trans Smart Grid 2014;5:29–37. https://doi.org/10.1109/tsg.2013.2251017.Search in Google Scholar
20. Falahati, B, Mousavi, MJ, Vakilian, M. Latency considerations in IEC 61850-enabled substation automation systems. 2011 IEEE Power and Energy Society General Meeting 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/PES.2011.6039138.Search in Google Scholar
21. Ali, NH, Ali, BM, Lut, M, Abdel-latif, KM. Performance of communication networks for Integrity protection systems based on travelling wave with IEC 61850. Int J Electr Power Energy Syst. 2018;95:664–75. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijepes.2017.09.024.Search in Google Scholar
© 2021 Walter de Gruyter GmbH, Berlin/Boston