Psyllium (Planta ovata, Ispaghul) seed and husk are used for treatment of altered bowel habit, i. e. constipation and diarrhea. We studied the effect of Ispaghul extract on secretion of interleukin-1 beta (IL-1β) by AGS (ATCC CRL 1739) and SW480 (ATCC CCL-227) epithelial cell lines and determined whether Ispaghul extract has an effect on IL-1β secretion by Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori)-stimulated AGS cell and Escherichia coli K-12 (E. coli K-12)-stimulated SW480 cells in vitro.
The AGS cells and SW480 cells were pretreated with Ispaghul extract in concentrations, i. e. 3.5 and 7 μg/mL prior to infection with H. pylori and E. coli K-12.
DNA fragmentation in AGS and SW480 cells treated with Ispaghul extract was not significant (2.3±0.8 %) compared with untreated cells (2.2±0.6 %). Ispaghul extract decreased the H. pylori-stimulated secretion of IL-1β by AGS cell (p<0.0001). This effect did not increase as the concentration of extract was increased. Ispaghul extract also decreased E. coli K-12-stimulated IL-1β secretion by SW480 cell (p<0.0001). This effect increased as the concentration of extracts was increased.
Ispaghul extract had an effect on stimulated secretion of IL-1β by the AGS and SW480 cell. It decreased pro-inflammatory reaction from both cell lines stimulated by bacteria.
Author contributions: All the authors have accepted responsibility for the entire content of this submitted manuscript and approved submission.
Research funding: None declared.
Employment or leadership: None declared.
Honorarium: None declared.
Competing interests: The funding organization(s) played no role in the study design; in the collection, analysis, and interpretation of data; in the writing of the report or in the decision to submit the report for publication.
1. Mehmood MH, Aziz N, Ghayur MN, Gilani AH. Pharmacological basis for the medicinal use of psyllium husk (Ispaghula) in constipation and diarrhea. Dig Dis Sci. 2011;56:1460–1471.10.1007/s10620-010-1466-0Search in Google Scholar
2. Williamson EM, Okpako DT, Evans FJ. Pharmacological methods in phytotherapy research. Chichester: Wiley, 1998:15–23.Search in Google Scholar
3. Gilani AH. Constipation and its treatment with natural drugs used in Pakistan. In: Capasso F, Mascolo N, editors. Natural drugs and the digestive tract. Rome: EMSI, 1992:117–121.Search in Google Scholar
4. Pirotta M. Irritable bowel syndrome—The role of complementary medicines in treatment. Aust Fam Physician. 2009;38:966–968.Search in Google Scholar
5. Rodriguez-Cabezas ME, Galvez J, Camuesco D, Lorente MD, Concha A, Martinez-Augustin O, et al. Intestinal anti-inflammatory activity of dietary fiber (Plantago ovata seeds) in HLA-B27 transgenic rats. Clin Nutr. 2003;22:463–471.10.1016/S0261-5614(03)00045-1Search in Google Scholar
6. Basak C, Pathak SK, Bhattacharyya A, Mandal D, Pathak S, Kundu M. NF-kappaB- and C/EBPbeta-driven interleukin-1beta gene expression and PAK1-mediated caspase-1 activation play essential roles in interleukin-1βeta release from Helicobacter pylori lipopolysaccharide-stimulated macrophages. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:4279–4288.10.1074/jbc.M412820200Search in Google Scholar PubMed
7. Konturek PC, Kania J, Kukharsky V, Raithel M, Ocker M, Rembiasz K, et al. Implication of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma and proinflammatory cytokines in gastric carcinogenesis: Link to Helicobacter pylori-infection. J Pharmacol Sc i i. 2004;96:134–143.Search in Google Scholar
8. Jarry A, Vallette G, Cassagnau E, Moreau A, Bou-Hanna C, Lemarre P, et al. Interleukin 1 and interleukin 1beta converting enzyme (caspase 1) expression in the human colonic epithelial barrier. Caspase 1 downregulation in colon cancer. Gut. 1999;45:246–251.10.1136/gut.45.2.246Search in Google Scholar PubMed PubMed Central
11. Evans WC. Phytochemistry. Trease and Evans Pharmacognosy, 5th ed Delhi, India: Elsevier, 2006:135–150.Search in Google Scholar
12. Cushnie TPT, Lamb AJ. Recent advances in understanding the antibacterial properties of flavonoids. Int J Antimicrob Agents. 2011;38:99–107.10.1016/j.ijantimicag.2011.02.014Search in Google Scholar PubMed
13. Gerritsen ME, Carley WW, Ranges GE, Shen CP, Phan SA, Ligon GF, et al. Flavonoids inhibit cytokine-induced endothelial cell adhesion protein gene expression. Am J Pathol. 1995;147:278–292.Search in Google Scholar
14. Hsieh CJ, Hall K, Ha T, Li C, Krishnaswamy G, Chi DS. Baicalein inhibits IL-1β and TNF- α-induced inflammatory cytokine production from human mast cells via regulation of the NF-κB pathway. Clin Mol Allergy. 2007;5:5.10.1186/1476-7961-5-5Search in Google Scholar PubMed PubMed Central
15. Dirscherl K, Karlstetter M, Ebert S, Kraus D, Hlawatsch J, Walczak Y, et al. Luteolin triggers global changes in the microglial transcriptome leading to a unique anti- inflammatory and neuroprotective phenotype. J Neuroinflammation. 2010;7:3.10.1186/1742-2094-7-3Search in Google Scholar PubMed PubMed Central
© 2017 Walter de Gruyter GmbH, Berlin/Boston