Many women in recent years have been willing to undergo puncture surgery for childbirth, which, like other surgeries, has physical and psychological side effects such as incision, infertility, chronic pain, and anxiety. Therefore, it is important to reduce and improve these side effects. The aim of this study was to determine the effect of foot massage with orange essential oil on anxiety in women undergoing cesarean section.
This randomized clinical trial study was conducted in 2019 on 80 women referred to Bahar Shahroud Hospital after cesarean section surgery. The samples were divided into two groups by intervention (foot massage with orange essential oil) and control (foot massage without orange essential oil). The Spielberger scale was used to determine anxiety scores after cesarean section. In the intervention group, the feet were massaged with orange essential oil, and in the control group, the orange essential oil massage was performed without oil. Anxiety before, immediately after, and 60 min after the intervention was measured and evaluated in both groups. Data analysis was performed using descriptive and inferential statistics. Significant levels were considered for all statistical tests (p<0.05).
The anxiety score before the intervention in the two groups of intervention and control was 57.12 ± 3.12 and 57.07 ± 3.54, respectively, which were not significantly different, but immediately after the intervention, the anxiety scores in both groups decreased significantly so that there was a further decrease in the intervention group (52.10 ± 4.75 and 56.02 ± 3.77), 1 h after the intervention, the anxiety score in the intervention group decreased compared to the previous stage and increased in the control group (50.40 ± 3.74 and 56.85 ± 4.27).
Foot massage with orange essential oil can probably be effective as a proper nursing intervention in reducing anxiety after cesarean section surgery.
The present study is the result of research project that has been approved by the research council of Shahroud University of Medical Sciences no. 97150 and approved by the Ethics Committee of Shahroud University of Medical Sciences (ethical approval code: IR.SHMU.REC.1397.194). The authors thank the participants, the deputy of Research and Technology, and the Student Research Committee of Shahroud University of Medical Sciences due to their kind contributions to the study.
Competing interests: The authors declare that they have no competing interests.
1. Li, HT, Ye, RW, Pei, LJ, Ren, AG, Zheng, XY, Liu, JM. Cesarean delivery on maternal request and childhood intelligence: a cohort study. Chin Med J 2011;124:3982–7.Search in Google Scholar
2. Saleh, AM, Dudenhausen, JW, Ahmed, B. Increased rates of cesarean sections and large families: a potentially dangerous combination. J Perinat Med 2017;45:517–21. https://doi.org/10.1515/jpm-2016-0242.Search in Google Scholar
3. Rafiei, M, Saei Ghare, M, Akbari, M, Kiani, F, Sayehmiri, F, Sayehmiri, K, et al.. Prevalence, causes, and complications of cesarean delivery in Iran: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Int J Reproduct Biomed 2018;16:221–34. https://doi.org/10.29252/ijrm.16.4.221.Search in Google Scholar
4. Mighton, CE, Inglis, AJ, Carrion, PB, Hippman, CL, Morris, EM, Andrighetti, HJ, et al.. Perinatal psychosis in mothers with a history of major depressive disorder. Arch Womens Ment Health 2016;19:253–8. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00737-015-0561-9.Search in Google Scholar
5. Seth, S, Lewis, AJ, Galbally, M. Perinatal maternal depression and cortisol function in pregnancy and the postpartum period: a systematic literature review. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth 2016;16:12. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12884-016-0915-y.Search in Google Scholar
6. Rezaie-Keikhaie, K, Hastings-Tolsma, M, Bouya, S, Shad, FS, Sari, M, Shoorvazi, M, et al.. Effect of aromatherapy on post-partum complications: a systematic review. Compl Ther Clin Pract 2019;35:290–5.Search in Google Scholar
8. Namazi, M, Amir Ali Akbari, S, Mojab, F, Talebi, A, Alavi Majd, H, Jannesari, S. Effects of Citrus aurantium (bitter orange) on the severity of first-stage labor pain. Iran J Pharm Res IJPR 2014;13:1011–8.Search in Google Scholar
9. Kim, M, Kwon, YJ. Effects of aroma inhalation on blood pressure, pulse, visual analog scale, and McNair scale in nursing students practicing intravenous injection at the first time. IJAST 2010;23:21–31.Search in Google Scholar
10. Kim, M, Kwon, YJ. Effects of aroma inhalation on blood pressure, pulse, visual analog scale, and McNair scale in nursing students practicing intravenous injection at the first time. Int J Adv Sci Technol 2010;23:61–8.Search in Google Scholar
11. Metin, ZG, Ozdemir, L. The effects of aromatherapy massage and reflexology on pain and fatigue in patients with rheumatoid arthritis: a randomized controlled trial. Pain Manag Nurs 2016;17:140–9.Search in Google Scholar
12. Nakano, H, Kodama, T, Ueda, T, Mori, I, Tani, T, Murata, S. Effect of hand and foot massage therapy on psychological factors and EEG activity in elderly people requiring long-term care: a randomized cross-over study. Brain Sci 2019;9:54. https://doi.org/10.3390/brainsci9030054.Search in Google Scholar
13. Hsu, WC, Guo, SE, Chang, CH. Back massage intervention for improving health and sleep quality among intensive care unit patients. Nurs Crit Care 2019;24:313–9. https://doi.org/10.1111/nicc.12428.Search in Google Scholar
14. Koraş, K, Karabulut, N. The effect of foot massage on postoperative pain and anxiety levels in laparoscopic cholecystectomy surgery: a randomized controlled experimental study. J PeriAnesthesia Nurs 2019;34:551–8.Search in Google Scholar
15. Spielberger, CD, Gorsuch, R, Lushene, RE. Manual for the State-Trait Anxiety Inventory. Palo Alto, CA, USA: Consulting Psychologist Press; 1970 [Google Scholar] [Ref list].Search in Google Scholar
16. Mahram, B. The guideline for state and trait spielberger anxiety inventory and the instruction for its explanation based on normality test research in Mashhad. Mashhad: Ferdowsi University Mashhad, Faculty of Psychology and Humanity Sciences; 1993.Search in Google Scholar
17. Rezaie-Keikhaie, K, Hastings-Tolsma, M, Bouya, S, Shad, FS, Sari, M, Shoorvazi, M, et al.. Effect of aromatherapy on post-partum complications: a systematic review. Complementary therapies in clinical practice; 2019.Search in Google Scholar
18. Jalalodini, A, Nourian, M, Saatchi, K, Kavousi, A, Ghaljeh, M. The effectiveness of slow-stroke back massage on hospitalization anxiety and physiological parameters in school-age children: a randomized clinical trial study. Iran Red Crescent Med J 2016;18:1–10. https://doi.org/10.5812/ircmj.36567.Search in Google Scholar
19. Rodgers, NJ, Cutshall, SM, Dion, LJ, Dreyer, NE, Hauschulz, JL, Ristau, CR, et al.. A decade of building massage therapy services at an academic medical center as part of a healing enhancement program. Compl Ther Clin Pract 2015;21:52–6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ctcp.2014.12.001.Search in Google Scholar
20. Saatsaz, S, Rezaei, R, Alipour, A, Beheshti, Z. Massage as adjuvant therapy in the management of post-cesarean pain and anxiety: a randomized clinical trial. Compl Ther Clin Pract 2016;24:92–8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ctcp.2016.05.014.Search in Google Scholar
21. Razmjoo, N, Yousefi, F, Esmaeeli, H, Azizi, H, Lotfalizadeh, M. Effect of foot reflexology on pain and anxiety in women following elective cesarean section. Iran J Obstet Gynecol Infertil 2012;15:8–16.Search in Google Scholar
22. Mannucci, C, Calapai, F, Cardia, L, Inferrera, G, D’Arena, G, Di Pietro, M, et al.. Clinical pharmacology of Citrus aurantium and Citrus sinensis for the treatment of anxiety. Evid Base Compl Alternative Med 2018;2018:1–18. https://doi.org/10.1155/2018/3624094.Search in Google Scholar
23. Sharifipour, F, Bakhteh, A, Mirmohammad Ali, M. Effect of Citrus aurantium aroma on post-cesarean section anxiety. Iran J Obstet Gynecol Infertil 2015;18:12–20.Search in Google Scholar
24. Abbaspoor, Z, Akbari, M, Najar, S. Effect of foot and hand massage in post-cesarean section pain control: a randomized control trial. Pain Manag Nurs Times 2014;15:132–6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pmn.2012.07.008.Search in Google Scholar
25. Namazi, M, Amir Ali Akbari, S, Mojab, F, Talebi, A, Alavi Majd, H, Jannesari, SH. Aromatherapy with Citrus aurantium oil and anxiety during the first stage of labor, Iran. Red Crescent Med J 2014;16:1837. https://doi.org/10.5812/ircmj.18371.Search in Google Scholar
© 2021 Walter de Gruyter GmbH, Berlin/Boston