Yoga is used as a complementary therapy to control the symptomatic and complicated consequences of type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM) but the effect of Jyoti-Trataka yoga (gazing steadily at a 4-feet away-fixed candle flame) on the intraocular pressure (IOP), autonomic control, and fasting blood glucose (FBG) in T2DM patients with high-tension primary open-angle glaucoma (POAG) was not previously investigated. This study aimed to search the effect of Jyoti-Trataka on IOP, systolic blood pressure (SBP), respiratory rate (RR), diastolic blood pressure (DBP), FBG, and pulse rate (PR) in T2DM patients with bilateral high-tension POAG.
The patients with a 52- to 67-year range and body mass index below 30 kg/m2 were randomly assigned to one of two 30-patient groups, study or control groups. Besides the administered oral hypoglycemic drugs by both groups, the study group only received one month of daily 55-min Jyoti-Trataka session.
A significant decrease (p<0.05) was identified after the comparison between the pre and post SBP, RR, DBP, FBG, IOP of both eyes, and PR in the study group while the control group exhibited no significant changes of all measures (p>0.05). In-favor-of the study group, the between-group post-treatment comparison showed a significant improvement of all measures (p<0.05).
Jyoti-Trataka is a good yogic complementary therapy that can be used to regulate autonomic functions, blood glucose, and IOP in T2DM patients with high-tension POAG.
Research funding: None declared.
Author contributions: All author accepted responsibility for the entire content of this manuscript and approved its submission.
Competing interests: Author state no conflict of interest.
Informed consent: Informed consent was obtained from all individuals included in this study.
Ethical approval: The local Institutional Review Board deemed the study exempt from review (the local ethical committee of faculty of physical therapy, Cairo University approved the protocol of the study
1. Behera, UC, Bhattacharjee, H, Das, T, Gilbert, C, Murthy, GVS, Rajalakshmi, R, et al.. Spectrum of eye disease in diabetes (SPEED) in India: a prospective facility-based study. Report# 4. Glaucoma in people with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Indian J Ophthalmol 2020;68:32–6, https://doi.org/10.4103/ijo.ijo_1948_19.Search in Google Scholar PubMed PubMed Central
2. Mroczkowska, S, Benavente-Perez, A, Negi, A, Sung, V, Patel, SR, Gherghel, D. Primary open-angle glaucoma vs normal-tension glaucoma: the vascular perspective. JAMA Ophthalmol 2013;131:36–43, https://doi.org/10.1001/2013.jamaophthalmol.1.Search in Google Scholar PubMed
3. Na, KS, Kim, JH, Paik, JS, Cho, WK, Ha, M, Park, YG, et al.. Underweight increases the risk of primary open-angle glaucoma in diabetes patients: a Korean nationwide cohort study. Medicine 2020;99: e19285, https://doi.org/10.1097/md.0000000000019285.Search in Google Scholar PubMed PubMed Central
4. Rivera, CE, Cantor, E, Castillo, A, Martinez, A, Newball, L, Rueda, JC, et al.. Prevalence of primary open angle glaucoma among patients with diagnosis of systemic hypertension and diabetes mellitus: the Colombian glaucoma study. Open J Ophthalmol 2020;10:99–114, https://doi.org/10.4236/ojoph.2020.102012.Search in Google Scholar
5. Mormile, R. Primary open angle glaucoma in type 2 diabetes: implications of the IL-10/STAT3-mediated anti-inflammatory response? Immunol Lett 2016;179:131–2, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.imlet.2016.09.012.Search in Google Scholar PubMed
6. Khatri, A, Shrestha, JK, Thapa, M, Khatri, BK, Kharel, M. Severity of primary open-angle glaucoma in patients with hypertension and diabetes. Diabetes Metab Syndr Obes 2018;11:209–15, https://doi.org/10.2147/dmso.s160978.Search in Google Scholar PubMed PubMed Central
7. Beidoe, G, Mousa, SA. Current primary open-angle glaucoma treatments and future directions. Clin Ophthalmol 2012;6:1699–707, https://doi.org/10.2147/OPTH.S32933.Search in Google Scholar PubMed PubMed Central
8. Ismail, AMA, Abdelghany, AI, Elfahl, AMA. Immediate effect of interscapular cupping on blood pressure, oxygen saturation, pulse rate and chest expansion in sedentary smoker students. J Complement Integr Med 2021;18:391–6. https://doi.org/10.1515/jcim-2020-0050.Search in Google Scholar PubMed
9. Rhee, DJ, Katz, LJ, Spaeth, GL, Myers, JS. Complementary and alternative medicine for glaucoma. Surv Ophthalmol 2001;46:43–55, https://doi.org/10.1016/s0039-6257(01)00233-8.Search in Google Scholar PubMed
11. Yadav, RK, Magan, D, Mehta, N, Sharma, R, Mahapatra, SC. Efficacy of a short-term yoga-based lifestyle intervention in reducing stress and inflammation: preliminary results. J Alternative Compl Med 2012;18:662–7, https://doi.org/10.1089/acm.2011.0265.Search in Google Scholar PubMed
12. Dada, T, Faiq, MA, Mohanty, K, Mittal, D, Bhat, M, Yadav, RK, et al.. Effect of yoga and meditation based intervention on intraocular pressure, quality of life, oxidative stress and gene expression pattern in primary open angle glaucoma: a randomized controlled trial. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 2016;57:1–12.Search in Google Scholar
13. Bertschinger, DR, Mendrinos, E, Dosso, A. Yoga can be dangerous-glaucomatous visual field defect worsening due to postural yoga. Br J Ophthalmol 2007;91:1413–14, https://doi.org/10.1136/bjo.2007.114546.Search in Google Scholar PubMed PubMed Central
14. Gallardo, MJ, Aggarwal, N, Cavanagh, HD, Whitson, JT. Progression of glaucoma associated with the Sirsasana (headstand) yoga posture. Adv Ther 2006;23:921–5, https://doi.org/10.1007/bf02850214.Search in Google Scholar
16. Ramachandra, K, Anupama, N, Subbalakshmi, NK. Effect of Jyoti Trataka on intraocular pressure in normal subjects. Thai J Physiol Sci 2008;21:8–13.Search in Google Scholar
17. Mallick, T, Kulkarni, R. The effect of Trataka, a yogic visual concentration practice, on critical flicker fusion. J Alternative Compl Med 2010;16:1265–7, https://doi.org/10.1089/acm.2010.0012.Search in Google Scholar PubMed
18. Talwadkar, S, Jagannathan, A, Raghuram, N. Effect of Trataka on cognitive functions in the elderly. Int J Yoga 2014;7:96–103, https://doi.org/10.4103/0973-6131.133872.Search in Google Scholar PubMed PubMed Central
19. Sherlee, JI, David, A. Effectiveness of yogic visual concentration (Trataka) on cognitive performance and anxiety among adolescents. J Compl Integr Med 2020;17:1–6. https://doi.org/10.1515/jcim-2019-0055.Search in Google Scholar PubMed
20. Shathirapathiy, G, Mooventhan, A, Mangaiarkarasi, N, Sangavi, SA, Shanmugapriya, V, Deenadayalan, B, et al.. Effect of Trataka (yogic gazing) on insomnia severity and quality of sleep in people with insomnia. Explore 2020;1:1–4.10.1016/j.explore.2020.09.009Search in Google Scholar PubMed
21. Sharma, G. Computer vision syndrome: a holistic approach through Trataka yoga. Int J Green Pharm 2017;11:7–10.Search in Google Scholar
22. Dixit, UK, Sushma, S. The Study of neuropsychological functions in myopes, following an intervention of Trataka yoga Kriya. Int J Phys 2020;8:93–8, https://doi.org/10.37506/ijop.v8i4.1718.Search in Google Scholar
23. Rosenfield, M. Computer vision syndrome: a review of ocular causes and potential treatments. Ophthalmic Physiol Opt 2011;31:502–15, https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1475-1313.2011.00834.x.Search in Google Scholar PubMed
24. Bhadra, C, Chatterjee, K. Effect of Trataka on pulse rate of college level male students. Int Yogic Hum Mov Sports Sci 2018;3:873–5, https://doi.org/10.22271/yogic.2018.v3.i1c.Search in Google Scholar
25. Kumar, RK, Arumugam, S. Influence of Trataka practices on systolic and diastolic blood pressure among adult men. Tamilnadu, India: Ganesar College of Arts and Science; 2018:172–5 pp.Search in Google Scholar
26. Raghavendra, BR, Ramamurthy, V. Changes in heart rate variability following yogic visual concentration (Trataka). Heart India 2014;2:15, https://doi.org/10.4103/2321-449x.127975.Search in Google Scholar
27. Bhadra, C, Chatterjee, K. Effect of Trataka on blood pressure of college level female students. Int J Yoga Physiother Phys Educ 2017;2:32–4.Search in Google Scholar
28. Karandikar, P. Effect of Prandharana and Tratak on positive breath holding capacity and negative breath holding capacity of physical education students. Int J Phys Educ Sports 2017;2:56–64.Search in Google Scholar
29. Raghavendra, BR, Singh, P. Immediate effect of yogic visual concentration on cognitive performance. J Tradit Complement Med 2016;6:34–6, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jtcme.2014.11.030.Search in Google Scholar PubMed PubMed Central
30. Rajpoot, PL, Vaishnav, P. Effect of Trataka on anxiety among adolescents. Int J Phys Beh Sci 2015;8:4004–7.Search in Google Scholar
31. Amai, K, Negalur, VB, Kumar, SA. Comparative clinical study to evaluate the efficacy of Jyothi Trataka and eye exercises in the management of prathama patalagata timira WSR to simple myopia. Int J Adapted Phys Educ Yoga 2018;3:7.Search in Google Scholar
33. Sankalp, TD, Yadav, RK, Faiq, MA. Effect of yoga-based ocular exercises in lowering of intraocular pressure in glaucoma patients: an affirmative proposition. Int J Yoga 2018;11:239–41, https://doi.org/10.4103/ijoy.IJOY_55_17.Search in Google Scholar PubMed PubMed Central
34. Dada, T, Ramesh, P, Shakrawal, J, Meditation: a polypill for comprehensive management of glaucoma patients. J Glaucoma 2020;29:133–40, https://doi.org/10.1097/ijg.0000000000001406.Search in Google Scholar
35. Zarifsanaiey, N, Jamalian, K, Bazrafcan, L, Keshavarzy, F, Shahraki, HR. The effects of mindfulness training on the level of happiness and blood sugar in diabetes patients. Diabetes Metab Syndr 2020:1–7, https://doi.org/10.1007/s40200-020-00510-7.Search in Google Scholar PubMed PubMed Central
36. Dada, T, Mittal, D, Mohanty, K, Faiq, MA, Bhat, MA, Yadav, RK, et al.. Mindfulness meditation reduces intraocular pressure, lowers stress biomarkers and modulates gene expression in glaucoma: a randomized controlled trial. J Glaucoma 2018;27:1061–7, https://doi.org/10.1097/ijg.0000000000001088.Search in Google Scholar
37. Balaji, PA, Varne, SR, Ali, SS. Physiological effects of yogic practices and transcendental meditation in health and disease. N Am J Med Sci 2012;4:442–8, https://doi.org/10.4103/1947-2714.101980.Search in Google Scholar PubMed PubMed Central
39. Christa, E, Srivastava, P, Chandran, DS, Jaryal, AK, Yadav, RK, Roy, A, et al.. Effect of yoga-based cardiac rehabilitation on heart rate variability: randomized controlled trial in patients post-MI. Int J Yoga therap 2019;29:43–50, https://doi.org/10.17761/2019-00019.Search in Google Scholar PubMed
40. Bhavanani, AB. Normalization of the blood pressure with yoga. In: Nikic, P, editor. Proceedings “Yoga – the Light of Microuniverse” of the International Interdisciplinary Scientific Conference “Yoga in Science – Future and Perspectives”, Belgrade, Serbia. Belgrade, September 23–24, 2010. Yoga Federation of Serbia:184–8 pp.Search in Google Scholar
41. Bhadra, C, Chatterjee, K. Acute effect of Trataka on heart rate between university level male and female students: a comparative study. Int J Yoga Physiotherap Phys Educ 2018;3:55–8.Search in Google Scholar
© 2021 Walter de Gruyter GmbH, Berlin/Boston