The effect of crosstalk due to inter-core coupling on the bit error rate (BER) performance of a fiber optic communication link with a homogeneous multi-core optical fiber (MCF) and a direct detection receiver with optical preamplifier is analytically evaluated and presented in this paper. Coupling coefficients due to inter-core coupling in a 7-core MCF is evaluated numerically with as a function of core-to-core distance (pitch) and relative refractive index contrast. Coupling length is determined against various index contrasts and at different core pitches. Crosstalk power, Signal to Crosstalk plus Noise Ratio (SCNR), BER and power penalty at any output core with light launched into other core of a 7-core MCF are determined analytically. The results show that there is mentionable deterioration in BER performance due to coupling induced crosstalk, and system suffers distinct power penalty at a given BER. For example, power penalty at BER of 10e-9 is found to be 4.0 dB and 4.3 dB for a MCF link of 10 km corresponding to relative refractive index difference of 0.0036 and 0.0030, respectively, for a pitch value of 30 µm and core radius of 4.5 µm.
Our research is a part of Ph.D dissertation of the 1st author. We acknowledge the support rendered by EEE Dept, BUET.
4. Takenaga K, Matsuo S, Saitoh K, Koshiba M. Multi-core fiber design and analysis: coupled-mode theory and coupled-power theory. Opt Express. 2011;19:B102–11.10.1364/OE.19.00B102Search in Google Scholar PubMed
5. Hayashi T. Multi-core optical fiber. US Patent 2017:9,547;122.Search in Google Scholar
7. Zhu B, Taunay TF, Yan MF, Fini JM, ME F, Monberg M, et al. Seven-core multicore fiber transmissions for passive optical network. Opt Express. 2010;8:11117–22.10.1364/OE.18.011117Search in Google Scholar PubMed
8. Hossain MA, Majumder SP. Performance limitations due to crosstalk in an optical transmission link over multi-core fiber. IEEE International Conference on Telecommunications and Photonics (ICTP). 2015: 1–5.10.1109/ICTP.2015.7427938Search in Google Scholar
9. Sajeeb MA, Farin FT, Rahim A, Majumder SP. BER performance limitation of an optical link with multicore fiber (MCF) due to crosstalk caused by mutual coupling among the cores. 3rd International Conference on Electrical Engineering and Information Communication Technology (ICEEICT). 2016: 1–5.10.1109/CEEICT.2016.7873165Search in Google Scholar
10. Hossain MA, Majumder SP. Performance analysis of crosstalk due to inter-core coupling in a heterogeneous multi-core optical fiber communication system. IEEE International Conference on Telecommunications and Photonics (ICTP). 2017:142–6.10.1109/ICTP.2017.8285912Search in Google Scholar
11. Puttnam BJ, Lus RS, Eriksson TA, Klaus W, Mendinueta JM, Awaji DY, et al. Impact of intercore crosstalk on the transmission distance of QAM formats in multicore fibers. IEEE Photonics J. 2016;8:1–9.10.1109/JPHOT.2016.2523993Search in Google Scholar
© 2019 Walter de Gruyter GmbH, Berlin/Boston