In the current study, a novel Zeonex based porous core photonic crystal fiber (PC-PCF) is presented for polarization-maintaining and dispersion flattened in the terahertz (THz) region. For minimizing the Effective Material Loss (EML), an array of three rectangular and six triangular air holes are surrounded by hexagonal-shaped cladding. Finite Element Method (FEM) is employed through Comsol V5.3a software to design and examine the essential features of the proposed porous core fiber which revealed that it has an extremely small EML of 0.04 cm−1 at 1.2 THz and has almost zero flattened dispersion of 0.8 ± 0.08 ps/THz/cm in 1.0–1.4 THz frequency spectrum. Moreover, the optimum designing parameters offer an extremely high value of birefringence (0.043 at 1.2 THz). Besides, other major features notably bending loss, effective area, and confinement loss are also found to be precise and relatively low. For effective, adaptable and fitting transmission characteristics, this type of design would lay the foundations for broadband THz radiation wide variety of usage in the THz regime.
Author contribution: All the authors have accepted responsibility for the entire content of this submitted manuscript and approved submission.
Research funding: None declared.
Conflict of interest statement: The authors declare no conflicts of interest regarding this article.
1. Habib, MA, Anower, MS, Hasan, MR. Ultrahigh birefringence and extremely low loss slotted core microstructure fiber in terahertz regime. Curr Opt Photon Dec. 2017;1:567–72. https://doi.org/10.1364/COPP.1.000567.Search in Google Scholar
2. Habib, MA, Anower, MS. Design and numerical analysis of highly birefringent single mode fiber in THz regime. Opt Fib Techn 2019;47:197–203. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.yofte.2018.11.006.Search in Google Scholar
3. Yu, X, Sugeta, M, Yamagami, Y, Fujita, M, Nagatsuma, T Simultaneous low-loss and low-dispersion in a photonic crystal waveguide for terahertz communications. Appl Phy Exp 2019;12:012005. https://doi.org/10.7567/1882-0786/aaf4b3.Search in Google Scholar
4. Woodward, RM, Wallace, VP, Arnone, DD, Linfield, EH, Pepper, M. Terahertz pulsed imaging of skin cancer in the time and frequency domain. J Biol Phys 2003;29:257–9. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1024409329416.Search in Google Scholar
5. Sen, SH, Chen, KW, Chu, KR. A comparative study of single wire and hollow metallic waveguide for terahertz waves. AIP Adv Nov. 2018;8:115028. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.5055213.Search in Google Scholar
7. Jo, JS, Jeon, TI Characteristics of THz pulse propagation on teflon covered two wire lines. J Opt Soc Kor Dec. 2015;19:560–565. http://dx.doi.org/10.3807/JOSK.2015.19.6.560.Search in Google Scholar
8. Goto, M, Quema, A, Takahashi, H, Ono, S, Sarukura, N. Teflon photonic crystal fiber as terahertz waveguide. Japan J Appl Phys 2004;43:317–9. https://doi.org/10.1143/JJAP.43.L317.Search in Google Scholar
9. Habib, MA, Anower, MS, Hasan, MR. Highly birefringent and low effective material loss microstructure fiber for THz wave guidance. Opt Commun 2018;423:140–4. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.optcom.2018.04.022.Search in Google Scholar
10. Habib, MA, Anower, MS Low loss highly birefringent porous core fiber for single mode terahertz wave guidance. Curr Opt Photon 2018;2:215–220. https://doi.org/10.3807/COPP.2018.2.3.215.Search in Google Scholar
11. Ahmed, K, Chowdhury, S, Paul, BK, Islam, MS, Sen, S, Islam, MI, et al. Ultrahigh birefringence and ultralow material loss porous core single mode fiber for terahertz wave guidance. Appl Opt 2017;56:3477–83. https://doi.org/10.1364/AO.56.003477.Search in Google Scholar
12. Rana, S, Hasanuzzaman, GKM, Habib, S, Kaijage, SF, Islam, R Proposal for a low loss porous core octagonal photonic crystal fiber for T-ray wave guiding. Opt Engg 2014;53:115107-1–4. https://doi.org/10.1117/1.OE.53.11.115107.Search in Google Scholar
13. Vera, ER, Usuga, J, Jimenez, C, Cardona, JAM, Cardona, NDG Design of low-loss and highly birefringent porous-core photonic crystal fiber and its application to Terahertz polarization beam splitter. IEEE Photon J Aug. 2018;10:1–13. https://doi.org/10.1109/JPHOT.2018.2860251.Search in Google Scholar
14. Hasan, MI, Razzak, SMA, Hasanuzzaman, GKM, Habib, MS Ultra-low material loss and dispersion flattened fiber for THz transmission. IEEE Photon Technol Lett 1 Dec. 2014;26:2372–2375. https://doi.org/10.1109/LPT.2014.2356492.Search in Google Scholar
15. Islam, MS, Faisal, M, Razzak, SMA Dispersion flattened porous-core honeycomb lattice terahertz fiber for ultra-low loss transmission. IEEE J Quant Electron Dec. 2017;53:1–8. https://doi.org/10.1109/JQE.2017.2760361.Search in Google Scholar
16. Islam, MS, Sultana, J, Dinovister, A, Ng, BWH, Abbott, D. A novel Zeonex based oligoporous-core photonic crystal fiber for polarization preserving terahertz applications. Opt Commun Apr. 2018;413:242–8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.optcom.2017.12.061.Search in Google Scholar
17. Chen, H, Yan, G, Forsberg, E, he, S. Terahertz polarization splitter based on a dual-elliptical-core polymer fiber. Appl Opt Aug. 2016;55:6236–42. https://doi.org/10.1364/AO.55.006236.Search in Google Scholar
18. Chen, H, Yan, G, Forsberg, E, He, S. Terahertz polarization splitters based on total and partial coupling in dual slotted core polymer fiber: Comparison and analysis. IEEE Photon J Jun. 2017;9. https://doi.org/10.1109/JPHOT.2017.2694886.Search in Google Scholar
20. Reza, MS, Habib, MA. Extremely sensitive chemical sensor for terahertz regime based on a hollow core photonic crystal fiber. Ukrainian J Phys Opt 2020;21:8–14. https://doi.org/10.3116/16091833/21/1/8/2020.Search in Google Scholar
21. Habib, MA, Reza, MS, Abdulrazak, LF, Anower, MS. Extremely high birefringent and low loss microstructure optical waveguide: design and analysis. Opt Commun 2019;446. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.optcom.2019.04.060.Search in Google Scholar
© 2020 Walter de Gruyter GmbH, Berlin/Boston