Alström syndrome is a rare autosomal recessive inherited disorder caused by mutations in the ALMS1 gene.
We describe the clinical and five novel mutational screening findings in six patients with Alström syndrome from five families in a single center with distinct clinical presentations of this condition.
Five novel mutations in ALMS1 in exon 8 and intron 17 were identified, one of them was a compound heterozygous: c.2259_2260insT, p.Glu754*; c.2035C>T p.Arg679*; c.2259_2260insT, p.Glu754*; c.5969C>G, p.Ser1990*; c.6541C>T, p. Gln2181*/c.11666-2A>G, splicing. One patient had gallstones, this association, to our knowledge, has not been reported in Alström syndrome previously.
Early diagnosis of Alström syndrome is often difficult in children and adolescents, because many of the clinical features develop over time. Early diagnosis can initiate an effective managemen of this condition, and it will help to reduce future damage.
Author contributions: Concept: Suna Kılınç, Ayla Güven. Design: Suna Kılınç, Aya Güven, Rıza Köksal Özgül. Data collection and processing: Suna Kılınç, Ayla Güven, Aylin Ardagil, Süheyla Apaydın. Analyses and interpretations: Didem Yücel-Yılmaz, Rıza Köksal Özgül, Diana Valverde. Literature search: Suna Kılınç, Ayla Güven. Writing: Suna Kılınç, Ayla Güven, Rıza Köksal Özgül. All the authors have accepted responsibility for the entire content of this submitted manuscript and approved submission.
Research funding: None declared.
Employment or leadership: None declared.
Honorarium: None declared.
Competing interests: The funding organization(s) played no role in the study design; in the collection, analysis, and interpretation of data; in the writing of the report; or in the decision to submit the report for publication.
1. Marshall JD, Beck S, Maffei P, Naggert JK. Alström syndrome. Eur J Hum Genet 2007;15:1193–202.10.1038/sj.ejhg.5201933Search in Google Scholar PubMed
2. Marshall JD, Paisey RB, Carey C, Macdermott S. Alström syndrome. In: Pagon RA, Adam MP, Bird TD, Dolan CR, Fong CT, et al., editors. Gene reviews. Seattle, WA: University of Washington, 2012.Search in Google Scholar
3. Marshall JD, Bronson RT, Collin GB, Nordstrom AD, Maffei P, et al. New Alström syndrome phenotypes based on the evaluation of 182 cases. Arch Intern Med 2005;165:675–83.10.1001/archinte.165.6.675Search in Google Scholar PubMed
4. Joy T, Cao H, Black G, Malik R, Charlton-Menys V, et al. Alstrom syndrome (OMIM 203800): a case report and literature review. Orphanet J Rare Dis 2007;2:49.10.1186/1750-1172-2-49Search in Google Scholar PubMed PubMed Central
5. Taşkesen M, Collin GB, Evsikov AV, Güzel A, Özgül RK, et al. Novel alu retrotransposon insertion leading to Alström syndrome. Hum Genet 2012;131:407–13.10.1007/s00439-011-1083-9Search in Google Scholar PubMed PubMed Central
6. Mihai CM, Catrinoiu D, Marshall J, Stoicescu R, Tofolean IT. Cilia, Alström syndrome molecular mechanisms and therapeutic perspectives. J Med Life 2008;1:254–61.Search in Google Scholar
7. Jagger D, Collin G, Kelly J, Towers E, Nevill G, et al. Alström syndrome protein ALMS1 localizes to basal bodies of cochlear hair cells and regulates cilium-dependent planar cell polarity. Hum Mol Genet 2011;20:466–81.10.1093/hmg/ddq493Search in Google Scholar PubMed PubMed Central
8. Piñeiro-Gallego T, Cortón M, Ayuso C, Baiget M, Valverde D. Molecular approach in the study of Alström syndrome: analysis of ten Spanish families. Mol Vis 2012;18:1794–802.Search in Google Scholar
9. Poli L, Arroyo G, Garofalo M, Choppin de Janvry E, Intini G, et al. Kidney transplantation in Alström syndrome: case report. Transplant Proc 2017;49:733–5.10.1016/j.transproceed.2017.02.018Search in Google Scholar PubMed
10. Marshall JD, Maffei P, Beck S, Barrett TG, Paisey R, et al. Clinical utility gene card for: Alström syndrome—update. Eur J Hum Genet 2013;21.10.1038/ejhg.2011.72Search in Google Scholar PubMed PubMed Central
11. Ozantürk A, Marshall JD, Collin GB, Düzenli S, Marshall RP, et al. The phenotypic and molecular genetic spectrum of Alström syndrome in 44 Turkish kindreds and a literature review of Alström syndrome in Turkey. J Hum Genet 2015;60:51.10.1038/jhg.2014.101Search in Google Scholar PubMed
12. American Diabetes Association. Classification and diagnosis of diabetes. Diabetes Care 2017;40 (suppl.1):S11–24.10.2337/dc17-S005Search in Google Scholar PubMed
13. Collin GB, Marshall JD, Ikeda A, So WV, Russell-Eggitt I, et al. Mutations in ALMS1 cause obesity, type 2 diabetes and neurosensory degeneration in Alström syndrome. Nat Genet 2002;31:74–8.10.1038/ng867Search in Google Scholar PubMed
14. Marshall JD, Ludman MD, Shea SE, Salisbury SR, Willi SM, et al. Genealogy, natural history, and phenotype of Alström syndrome in a large Acadian kindred and three additional families. Am J Med Genet 1997;73:150–61.10.1002/(SICI)1096-8628(19971212)73:2<150::AID-AJMG9>3.0.CO;2-YSearch in Google Scholar
15. Titomanlio L, De Brasi D, Buoninconti A, Sperandeo MP, Pepe A, et al. Alström syndrome: intra familial phenotypic variability in sibs with a novel nonsense mutation of the ALMS1 gene. Clin Genet 2004;65:156–7.10.1111/j.0009-9163.2004.00204.xSearch in Google Scholar
16. Marshall JD, Maffei P, Collin GB, Naggert JK. Alström syndrome: genetics and clinical overview. Curr Genomics 2011;12:225–35.10.2174/138920211795677912Search in Google Scholar
17. Marshall JD, Hinman EG, Collin GB, Beck S, Cerqueira R, et al. Spectrum of ALMS1 variants and evaluation of genotype-phenotype correlations in Alström syndrome. Hum Mutat 2007;28:1114–23.10.1002/humu.20577Search in Google Scholar
18. Ozgül RK, Satman I, Collin GB, Hinman EG, Marshall JD, et al. Molecular analysis and long-term clinical evaluation of three siblings with Alström syndrome. Clin Genet 2007;72:351–6.10.1111/j.1399-0004.2007.00848.xSearch in Google Scholar
19. Malm E, Ponjavic V, Nishina PM, Naggert JK, Hinman EG, et al. Full-field electroretinography and marked variability in clinical phenotype of Alstrom syndrome. Arch Ophthalmol 2008;126:51–7.10.1001/archophthalmol.2007.28Search in Google Scholar
20. Manara R, Citton V, Maffei P, Marshall JD, Naggert JK, et al. Degeneration and plasticity of the optic pathway in Alström syndrome. Am J Neuroradiol 2015;36:160–5.10.3174/ajnr.A4115Search in Google Scholar
21. Gathercole LL, Hazlehurst JM, Armstrong MJ, Crowley R, Boocock S, et al. Advanced non-alcoholic fatty liver disease and adipose tissue fibrosis in patients with Alström syndrome. Liver Int 2016;36:1704–12.10.1111/liv.13163Search in Google Scholar
22. Hearn T, Renforth GL, Spalluto C, Hanley NA, Piper K, et al. Mutation of ALMS1, a large gene with a tandem repeat encoding 47 amino acids, causes Alström syndrome. Nat Genet 2002;31:79–83.10.1038/ng874Search in Google Scholar
©2018 Walter de Gruyter GmbH, Berlin/Boston