Overweight and obesity affect approximately 1/3 of children in the United States and are risk factors for prediabetes and type 2 diabetes. Progression from prediabetes to diabetes carries substantial long-term health burdens, culminating in decreased life-expectancy. Earlier development of type 2 diabetes is associated with poorer prognoses, and children lose glycemic control more rapidly than adults. Metformin is approved by the USFDA for the treatment of type 2 diabetes in children, has limited toxicity, and may help prevent the development of type 2 diabetes. The more rapid disease progression in children and the safety of metformin suggests that initiation of metformin treatment to children with prediabetes who have not effectively responded to lifestyle changes may help prevent short- and long-term health damage resulting from prediabetic and diabetic dysglycemia.
Research funding: None declared.
Author contributions: All the authors have accepted responsibility for the entire content of this submitted manuscript and approved submission.
Competing interests: Authors state no conflict of interest.
Informed consent: Not applicable.
Ethical approval: Not applicable.
1. Andes, LJ, Cheng, YJ, Rolka, DB, Gregg, EW, Imperatore, G. Prevalence of prediabetes among adolescents and young adults in the United States, 2005-2016. JAMA Pediatr 2019;174:e194498.10.1001/jamapediatrics.2019.4498Search in Google Scholar PubMed PubMed Central
2. Divers, J, Mayer-Davis, EJ, Lawrence, JM, Isom, SP, Dabelea, D, Dolan, L, et al.. Trends in incidence of type 1 and type 2 diabetes among youths — selected counties and Indian reservations, United States, 2002–2015. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2020;69:161–5, https://doi.org/10.15585/mmwr.mm6906a3.Search in Google Scholar PubMed PubMed Central
3. Copeland, KC, Zeitler, P, Geffner, M, Guandalini, C, Higgins, J, Hirst, K, et al.. Characteristics of adolescents and youth with recent-onset type 2 diabetes: the TODAY cohort at baseline. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2011;96:159–67, https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.2010-1642.Search in Google Scholar PubMed PubMed Central
4. Hamman, RF, Bell, RA, Dabelea, D, D’Agostino, RBJr., Dolan, L, Imperatore, G, et al.. The SEARCH for Diabetes in Youth study: rationale, findings, and future directions. Diabetes Care 2014;37:3336–44, https://doi.org/10.2337/dc14-0574.Search in Google Scholar PubMed PubMed Central
5. Shi, Q, Zhang, X, Jiang, F, Zhang, X, Hu, N, Bimu, C, et al.. Clinical characteristics and Risk factors for mortality of COVID-19 patients with diabetes in Wuhan, China: a two-center, retrospective study. Diabetes Care 2020;43:1382–91, https://doi.org/10.2337/dc20-0598.Search in Google Scholar PubMed
6. Guan, WJ, Ni, ZY, Hu, Y, Liang, WH, Ou, CQ, He, JX, et al.. Clinical characteristics of coronavirus disease 2019 in China. N Engl J Med 2020;382:1708–20, https://doi.org/10.1056/nejmoa2002032.Search in Google Scholar
7. Diabetes UK. Diabetes in the UK 2010: Key Statistics on Diabetes; 2010.Search in Google Scholar
8. Leal, J, Gray, AM, Clarke, PM. Development of life-expectancy tables for people with type 2 diabetes. Eur Heart J 2009;30:834–9, https://doi.org/10.1093/eurheartj/ehn567.Search in Google Scholar PubMed PubMed Central
9. Today Study Group. Effects of metformin, metformin plus rosiglitazone, and metformin plus lifestyle on insulin sensitivity and beta-cell function in TODAY. Diabetes Care 2013;36:1749–57,https://doi.org/10.2337/dc12-2393.Search in Google Scholar PubMed PubMed Central
10. Rhodes, ET, Prosser, LA, Hoerger, TJ, Lieu, T, Ludwig, DS, Laffel, LM. Estimated morbidity and mortality in adolescents and young adults diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes mellitus. Diabet Med 2012;29:453–63, https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1464-5491.2011.03542.x.Search in Google Scholar PubMed
12. Nadeau, KJ, Anderson, BJ, Berg, EG, Chiang, JL, Chou, H, Copeland, KC, et al.. Youth-onset type 2 diabetes consensus report: current status, challenges, and priorities. Diabetes Care 2016;39:1635–42, https://doi.org/10.2337/dc16-1066.Search in Google Scholar PubMed PubMed Central
13. Kleber, M, Lass, N, Papcke, S, Wabitsch, M, Reinehr, T. One-year follow-up of untreated obese white children and adolescents with impaired glucose tolerance: high conversion rate to normal glucose tolerance. Diabet Med 2010;27:516–21, https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1464-5491.2010.02991.x.Search in Google Scholar PubMed
14. Love-Osborne, KA, Sheeder, JL, Nadeau, KJ, Zeitler, P. Longitudinal follow up of dysglycemia in overweight and obese pediatric patients. Pediatr Diabetes 2018;19:199–204, https://doi.org/10.1111/pedi.12570.Search in Google Scholar PubMed
15. Dinh, JC, Hosey-Cojocari, CM, Jones, BL. Pediatric clinical endpoint and pharmacodynamic biomarkers: limitations and opportunities. Paediatr Drugs 2020;22:55–71, https://doi.org/10.1007/s40272-019-00375-1.Search in Google Scholar PubMed
16. Consortium R. Effects of treatment of impaired glucose tolerance or Recently diagnosed type 2 diabetes with metformin alone or in combination with insulin glargine on beta-cell function: comparison of Responses in youth and adults. Diabetes 2019;68:1670–80, https://doi.org/10.2337/db19-0299.Search in Google Scholar PubMed PubMed Central
18. Zeitler, P, Hirst, K, Copeland, KC, El Ghormli, L, Levitt Katz, L, Levitsky, LL, et al.. HbA1c after a short period of monotherapy with metformin identifies durable glycemic control among adolescents with type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care 2015;38:2285–92, https://doi.org/10.2337/dc15-0848.Search in Google Scholar PubMed PubMed Central
19. Saaddine, JB, Fagot-Campagna, A, Rolka, D, Narayan, KM, Geiss, L, Eberhardt, M, et al.. Distribution of HbA(1c) levels for children and young adults in the U.S.: third National health and nutrition examination survey. Diabetes Care 2002;25:1326–30, https://doi.org/10.2337/diacare.25.8.1326.Search in Google Scholar PubMed
20. Kelsey, MM, Severn, C, Hilkin, AM, Pyle, L, Nadeau, KJ, Zeitler, PS. Puberty is associated with a Rising hemoglobin A1c, even in youth with normal weight. J Pediatr 2021;230:244–7, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpeds.2020.10.044.Search in Google Scholar PubMed PubMed Central
21. Kelsey, MM, Zeitler, PS, Drews, K, Chan, CL. Normal hemoglobin A1c variability in early adolescence: adult criteria for prediabetes should Be applied with caution. J Pediatr 2020;216:232–5, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpeds.2019.07.031.Search in Google Scholar PubMed PubMed Central
22. Weiss, R, Taksali, SE, Tamborlane, WV, Burgert, TS, Savoye, M, Caprio, S. Predictors of changes in glucose tolerance status in obese youth. Diabetes Care 2005;28:902–9, https://doi.org/10.2337/diacare.28.4.902.Search in Google Scholar
23. Kleber, M, deSousa, G, Papcke, S, Wabitsch, M, Reinehr, T. Impaired glucose tolerance in obese white children and adolescents: three to five year follow-up in untreated patients. Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes 2011;119:172–6, https://doi.org/10.1055/s-0030-1263150.Search in Google Scholar
24. Galderisi, A, Giannini, C, Weiss, R, Kim, G, Shabanova, V, Santoro, N, et al.. Trajectories of changes in glucose tolerance in a multiethnic cohort of obese youths: an observational prospective analysis. Lancet Child Adolesc Health 2018;2:726–35, https://doi.org/10.1016/s2352-4642(18)30235-9.Search in Google Scholar
25. Haemer, MA, Grow, HM, Fernandez, C, Lukasiewicz, GJ, Rhodes, ET, Shaffer, LA, et al.. Addressing prediabetes in childhood obesity treatment programs: support from research and current practice. Child Obes 2014;10:292–303, https://doi.org/10.1089/chi.2013.0158.Search in Google Scholar
26. Masarwa, R, Brunetti, VC, Aloe, S, Henderson, M, Platt, RW, Filion, KB. Efficacy and safety of metformin for obesity: a systematic Review. Pediatrics 2021;147:e20201610, https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2020-1610.Search in Google Scholar
27. Diabetes Prevention Program Research Group. 10-year follow-up of diabetes incidence and weight loss in the Diabetes Prevention Program Outcomes Study. Lancet 2009;374:1677–86, https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(09)61457-4.Search in Google Scholar
28. Hannon, TS, Edelstein, SL, Arslanian, SA, Caprio, S, Zeitler, PS, Buchanan, TA, et al.. Withdrawal of medications leads to worsening of OGTT parameters in youth with impaired glucose tolerance or recently-diagnosed type 2 diabetes. Pediatr Diabetes 2020;21:1437–46, https://doi.org/10.1111/pedi.13129.Search in Google Scholar PubMed PubMed Central
29. Kelsey, MM, Hilkin, A, Pyle, L, Severn, C, Utzschneider, K, Van Pelt, RE, et al.. Two-year treatment with metformin during puberty does not preserve beta-cell function in youth with obesity. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2021;106:e2622–e32, https://doi.org/10.1210/clinem/dgab170.Search in Google Scholar PubMed PubMed Central
30. Khokhar, A, Umpaichitra, V, Chin, VL, Perez-Colon, S. Metformin use in children and adolescents with prediabetes. Pediatr Clin North Am 2017;64:1341–53, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pcl.2017.08.010.Search in Google Scholar PubMed
31. Yan, Y, Kover, KL, Moore, WV. New insight into metformin mechanism of action and clinical application. In: Stoian, AP, Rizzo, M, editors. Metformin. London: InTech Open; 2020.10.5772/intechopen.91148Search in Google Scholar
32. Brame, L, Verma, S, Anderson, T, Lteif, A, Mather, K. Insulin resistance as a therapeutic target for improved endothelial function: metformin. Curr Drug Targets Cardiovasc Haematol Disord 2004;4:53–63, https://doi.org/10.2174/1568006043481275.Search in Google Scholar PubMed
33. Loi, H, Boal, F, Tronchere, H, Cinato, M, Kramar, S, Oleshchuk, O, et al.. Metformin protects the heart against hypertrophic and apoptotic remodeling after myocardial infarction. Front Pharmacol 2019;10:154, https://doi.org/10.3389/fphar.2019.00154.Search in Google Scholar PubMed PubMed Central
36. Diabetes Prevention Program Research G. The 10-year cost-effectiveness of lifestyle intervention or metformin for diabetes prevention: an intent-to-treat analysis of the DPP/DPPOS. Diabetes Care 2012;35:723–30, https://doi.org/10.2337/dc11-1468.Search in Google Scholar PubMed PubMed Central
© 2022 Walter de Gruyter GmbH, Berlin/Boston