In order to obtain higher thermoelectric and mechanical properties in nonpolar thermoplastic vulcanizates (TPVs), the butyl rubber/polypropylene (TPVs)/hydroxylated graphene (HGE) composites with nanosheet network were prepared through masterbatch technique and based on thermodynamic calculations, using polypropylene-graft-maleic anhydride (PP-MA) as a compatibilizer. The Fourier transform infrared (FTIR) and Raman spectra revealed the introduced maleic anhydride group on PP-MA can form strong interfacial interaction with hydroxyl-containing functional groups on HGE. Morphology study indicated the rubber particles in the composites occupied the most volume of the PP phase, as expected to hinder the aggregation of HGE and form the effective nanosheet network. The nanosheet network can be combined with the butyl rubber (IIR) cross-linked particles during the dynamic vulcanization process to improve the interface bonding between PP and IIR, thus increasing the tensile strength of TPVs. The prepared TPVs/HGE composites have significantly improved in mechanical properties, thermal properties and dielectric properties, which provides a guarantee for their potential application as multifunctional TPVs polymers.
Funding source: Natural Science Foundation of Shandong Province
Award Identifier / Grant number: ZR2020QE072
Author contributions: Conceptualization, Q.T. and Y.Z.; methodology, X.L.; software, L.C.; writing—review and editing, Q.T.; funding acquisition, Z.Z. All authors have read and agreed to the published version of the manuscript.
Research funding: This research was funded by the Natural Science Foundation of Shandong Province, grant number ZR2020QE072.
Conflict of interest statement: The authors declare no conflict of interest regarding this article.
1. Ning, N. Y., Li, S. Q., Wu, H. G., Tian, H. C., Yao, P. J., Hu, G. H., Tian, M., Zhang, L. Q. Prog. Polym. Sci. 2018, 79, 61–97; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.progpolymsci.2017.11.003. Search in Google Scholar
4. Yoshihiko, K., Yoshikawa, H., Kunio, A., Masaki, M., Tatsuo, T., Kayano, S., Bandow, S. J., Sumio, L. Langmuir 2008, 24, 547–550. Search in Google Scholar
9. Novoselov, K. S., Geim, A. K., Morozov, S. V., Jiang, D., Katsnelson, M. L., Grigorieva, I. V., Dubonos, S. V., Firsov, A. A. Nature 2005, 438, 197–200; https://doi.org/10.1038/nature04233. Search in Google Scholar
14. Katbab, A. A., Hrymak, A. N., Kasmadjian, K. J. Appl. Polym. Sci. 2010, 107, 3425–3433. Search in Google Scholar
17. Madni, I., Hwang, C. Y., Park, S. D., Choa, Y. H., Kim, H. T. Colloid. Surface. Physicochem. Eng. Aspect. 2010, 358, 101–107; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.colsurfa.2010.01.030. Search in Google Scholar
22. Mohiuddin, T. M. G., Lombardo, A., Nair, R. R., Bonetti, A., Savini, G., Jalil, R., Bonini, N., Basko, D. M., Galiotis, C., Marzari, N. Phys. Rev. 2009, 79, 205433; https://doi.org/10.1103/physrevb.79.205433. Search in Google Scholar
24. Wu, S. H. Polymer Interface and Adhesion; Inc: New York, 1982; p. 256. Search in Google Scholar
28. Huy, T. A., Luepke, T., Radusch, H. J. J. Appl. Polym. Sci. 2001, 80, 148–158; https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-4628(20010411)80:2<148::aid-app1083>3.0.co;2-w. Search in Google Scholar
29. Koval’chuk, A. A., Shevchenko, V. G., Shchegolikhin, A., Nedorezova, P. M. Macromolecules 2008, 41, 7536–7542. Search in Google Scholar
31. Salaeh, S. Processing of Natural Rubber Composites and Blends: Relation Between Structure and Properties. Thesis, University Claude Bernard-Lyon I, France, 2014. Search in Google Scholar
© 2021 Walter de Gruyter GmbH, Berlin/Boston