Two compounds, compounds 1 and 2, were isolated from Preussia sp. The molecular structures of both compounds were elucidated by analyzing one-dimensional (1D) and 2D nuclear magnetic resonance data along with high-resolution mass spectrometry data. Compound 1 was obtained as novel in structure, and compound 2 was recently reported elsewhere. Compound 1 did not show antioxidant and antimicrobial activities and brine shrimp toxicity, while compound 2 showed strong antioxidant activity (DPPH reduction capacity; IC50=3 μg/mL) and brine shrimp toxicity (LD50=50 μg/mL).
The research was supported by the International Science Foundation (grant no. F5476-1F& 2F) to Dr. Babita Paudel-Bhattarai. Similarly, B. Paudel and H. D. Bhattarai acknowledge the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation for the instrument grant.
1. Richardson DH. Vanishing lichens. Their history, biology and importance. New York: Hafner Press, 1975.Search in Google Scholar
2. Kumar KC, Müller K. Lichen metabolites. 1. Inhibitory action against leukotriene B4 biosynthesis by a non-redox mechanism. J Nat Prod 1999;62:817–20.10.1021/np9803777Search in Google Scholar PubMed
3. Awasti DD. A compendium of the macrolichens from India, Nepal and Srilanka. Dehra Dun: Bishen Singh Mahendra Pal Singh, 2007.Search in Google Scholar
4. Bhattarai HD, Paudel B, Lee HK, Oh H, Yim JH. In vitro antioxidant capacities of two benzonaphthoxanthenones: ohioensins F and G isolated from the Antarctic moss Polytrichastrum alpinum. Z Naturforsch C 2009;64c:197–200.10.1515/znc-2009-3-408Search in Google Scholar PubMed
5. Paudel B, Bhattarai HD, Lee HK, Oh H, Shin HW, Yim JH. Antibacterial activity of ramalin, using acid and its three other derivatives isolated from the Antarctic lichen Ramalina terebrata. Z Naturforsch C 2010;65c:34–8.10.1515/znc-2010-1-206Search in Google Scholar PubMed
6. Paudel B, Bhattarai HD, Pandey DP, Hur JS, Hong SG, Kim IC, et al. Antioxidant, antibacterial activity and brine shrimp toxicity test of some mountainous lichens from Nepal. Biol Res 2012;45:387–91.10.4067/S0716-97602012000400010Search in Google Scholar PubMed
7. Rangel-Grimaldo M, Rivero-Cruz I, Madariaga-Mazón A, Figueroa M, Mata R. α-Glucosidase inhibitors from Preussia minimoides. J Nat Prod 2017;80:582–7.10.1021/acs.jnatprod.6b00574Search in Google Scholar PubMed
The online version of this article offers supplementary material (https://doi.org/10.1515/znc-2017-0105).
©2018 Walter de Gruyter GmbH, Berlin/Boston