A strong limitation of nuclear magnetic resonance is its low inherent sensitivity that can be overcome by using an appropriate hyperpolarization technique. Presently, dynamic nuclear polarization and spin-exchange optical pumping are the only hyperpolarization techniques that are used in applied medicine. However, both are relatively complex in use and expensive. Here we present a modification of the signal amplification by reversible exchange (SABRE) hyperpolarization method – SABRE on stabilized Ir-complexes. A stabilized Ir-complex (here we used bipyridine for stabilization) can be hyperpolarized in a wide range of magnetic fields from a few μT upto 10 T with 15N polarization of about 1–3%. Moreover, the investigated complex can be incorporated into biomolecules or other bulky molecules; in this situation exchange with para-hydrogen will allow one to continuously generate hyperpolarization.
Dedicated to: Kev Salikhov on the occasion of his 80th birthday.
The author is thankful to Profs. Alexandra Yurkovskaya and Konstantin Ivanov for stimulating discussions. Low-field studies are supported by the Russian Foundation for Basic Research (Project no. 16-33-00679); high-field studies are supported by the Russian Science Foundation (Project no. 14-13-01053). FASO of Russia is acknowledged for providing access to NMR facilities (Project no. 0333-2014-0001). We acknowledge Dr. Pavel Petrov for providing us with the IrImesCODCl pre-catalyst.
2. C. Griesinger, M. Bennati, H.-M. Vieth, C. Luchinat, G. Parigi, P. Höfer, F. Engelke, S. J. Glaser, V. Denysenkov, T. F. Prisner, Prog. Nucl. Magn. Reson. Spectrosc. 64 (2012) 4.10.1016/j.pnmrs.2011.10.002Search in Google Scholar
3. T. Maly, G. T. Debelouchina, V. S. Bajaj, K.-N. Hu, C.-G. Joo, M. L. Mak-Jurkauskas, J. R. Sirigiri, P. C. A. van der Wel, J. Herzfeld, R. J. Temkin, R. G. Griffin, J. Chem. Phys. 128 (2008) 052211.10.1063/1.2833582Search in Google Scholar
8. R. W. Adams, J. A. Aguilar, K. D. Atkinson, M. J. Cowley, P. I. P. Elliott, S. B. Duckett, G. G. R. Green, I. G. Khazal, J. López-Serrano, D. C. Williamson, Science 323 (2009) 1708.10.1126/science.1168877Search in Google Scholar
9. M. J. Cowley, R. W. Adams, K. D. Atkinson, M. C. R. Cockett, S. B. Duckett, G. G. R. Green, J. A. B. Lohman, R. Kerssebaum, D. Kilgour, R. E. Mewis, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 133 (2011) 6134.10.1021/ja200299uSearch in Google Scholar
13. T. Theis, M. L. Truong, A. M. Coffey, R. V. Shchepin, K. W. Waddell, F. Shi, B. M. Goodson, W. S. Warren, E. Y. Chekmenev, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 137 (2015) 1404.10.1021/ja512242dSearch in Google Scholar
15. N. Eshuis, R. L. E. G. Aspers, B. J. A. van Weerdenburg, M. C. Feiters, F. P. J. T. Rutjes, S. S. Wijmenga, M. Tessari, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 54 (2015) 14527.10.1002/anie.201507831Search in Google Scholar
19. J. B. Hövener, N. Schwaderlapp, T. Lickert, S. B. Duckett, R. E. Mewis, L. A. R. Highton, S. M. Kenny, G. G. R. Green, D. Leibfritz, J. G. Korvink, J. Hennig, D. von Elverfeldt, Nat. Commun. 4 (2013) 2946.10.1038/ncomms3946Search in Google Scholar
20. J. B. Hövener, N. Schwaderlapp, R. Borowiak, T. Lickert, S. B. Duckett, R. E. Mewis, R. W. Adams, M. J. Burns, L. A. R. Highton, G. G. R. Green, A. Olaru, J. Hennig, D. von Elverfeldtt, Anal. Chem. 86 (2014) 1767.10.1021/ac403653qSearch in Google Scholar
22. T. Theis, G. X. Ortiz, A. W. J. Logan, K. E. Claytor, Y. Feng, W. P. Huhn, V. Blum, S. J. Malcolmson, E. Y. Chekmenev, Q. Wang, W. S. Warren, Sci. Adv. 2 (2016).10.1126/sciadv.1501438Search in Google Scholar
25. M. L. Truong, T. Theis, A. M. Coffey, R. V. Shchepin, K. W. Waddell, F. Shi, B. M. Goodson, W. S. Warren, E. Y. Chekmenev, J. Phys. Chem. C 119 (2015) 8786.10.1021/acs.jpcc.5b01799Search in Google Scholar
30. H. Zeng, J. Xu, J. Gillen, M. T. McMahon, D. Artemov, J.-M. Tyburn, J. A. B. Lohman, R. E. Mewis, K. D. Atkinson, G. G. R. Green, S. B. Duckett, P. C. M. van Zijl, J. Magn. Reson. 237 (2013) 73.10.1016/j.jmr.2013.09.012Search in Google Scholar
33. D. A. Barskiy, K. V. Kovtunov, I. V. Koptyug, P. He, K. A. Groome, Q. A. Best, F. Shi, B. M. Goodson, R. V. Shchepin, A. M. Coffey, K. W. Waddell, E. Y. Chekmenev, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 136 (2014) 3322.10.1021/ja501052pSearch in Google Scholar
The online version of this article (DOI: 10.1515/zpch-2016-0810) offers supplementary material, available to authorized users.
©2017 Walter de Gruyter GmbH, Berlin/Boston